What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

VAGUwK0.jpg

yEAi00x.jpg

F2B0EUy.jpg

VAGUwK0.jpg

RMHRJSe.jpg

lYCAWbp.jpg

7cLlOos.jpg

cudwPYs.jpg

Tke60IF.jpg

5A7mbiW.jpg

pMpX7ku.jpg

Sweet! How do you get your name on the spine of the blade? I am a newbee so I do not know alot of the detailing!!!!
This is called electro etching. You need three main things: 1) a stencil; 2) and etching machine that usually gives you the option of applying DC or AC current; and 3) chemical etchant.

There is a lot of discussion on etching here in the forums and online and many different ways to achieve results. This can range from a 9v battery to $1000 machines.

Do you give any idea of my sources.
1) stencils: IMG Electromark in Utica. I send designs and we had a back and forth until approved, and I ordered several sizes
2) etching machine: Custom made by Maxim Peysakhov on facebook,
3) etchant from IMG Electromark

Doesn't need to be crazy steel to be a nice knife. Strong work man.
Thanks Bro. But I going to start trying some new steels. I never had the patience to send stuff to a heat treater but I finally got a oven, dewar, and Rockwell tester. Now I have to figure out which steel to try. I just tried out some Nitro-V that I have been sitting for like a year with no way to heat treat. Its a good steel but I wouldn't say great.
I think I'm gonna try some s35vn next.

Thanks Bro. But I going to start trying some new steels. I never had the patience to send stuff to a heat treater but I finally got a oven, dewar, and Rockwell tester. Now I have to figure out which steel to try. I just tried out some Nitro-V that I have been sitting for like a year with no way to heat treat. Its a good steel but I wouldn't say great.
I think I'm gonna try some s35vn next.

I really like that hunter, and the bowie you posted on IG.
Haven't tried my piece of Nitro-V yet, but if it performs like AEB-L, I'll love it. Not sure if the marginal difference will be worth the trouble/expense, but the name sure is cool. :p S35VN I find less interesting due to the substantially lower toughness at the same hardness. But the right material for the right knife...

Last edited:
I really like that hunter, and the bowie you posted on IG.
Haven't tried my piece of Nitro-V yet, but if it performs like AEB-L, I'll love it. Not sure if the marginally difference will be worth the trouble/expense, but the name sure is cool. :p S35VN I find less interesting due to the substantially lower toughness at the same hardness. But the right material for the right knife...
Thanks:D :D The Nitro V isn't worth twice the price as Aeb-l. You right about the catcher name though. I wanted to try and make some fine slicing hunting knives with it. So I'm less concerned about toughness and more concerned with wear resistance and strength.

Oh Cr@p!!
When you realize that you drilled a hole in the end of handle for an endcap dowel…..this handle is not supposed to have an endcap, neither was the other handle I just drilled. Time to start on new handles. I'm such a creature of habit....almost all my handles have an endcap, so instinctively after drilling for the tang, I flipped the handle over and drilled for the endcap.

UXX3kom.jpg

This was the mock-up photo sent to the customer...No Endcap!!
BTvrAeH.jpg

Thanks:D :D The Nitro V isn't worth twice the price as Aeb-l. You right about the catcher name though. I wanted to try and make some fine slicing hunting knives with it. So I'm less concerned about toughness and more concerned with wear resistance and strength.

If by "strength" you mean resistance to snapping the blade, it will probably be hard to beat AEB-L in that category in stainless.
Larrin's testing suggests CPM154 would beat S35VN in that regard too, while offering a great deal more wear resistance than AEB-L, without considering the various Z-* steels.

Finished this one up today. A gift to my niece and her husband who loves to cook. They are HUGE Alabama fans.The fist words they teach their kids is "Roll Tide" lol.The handle material is all G10. Used white and gray pins and liners. A little over the top I know but I think they will get a big kick out of it.
WTzK0Wj.jpg

WTzK0Wj.jpg

Back