What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

This one is almost done. Just needs to be sharpened. The wife's is similar but with red oak scales. I'll post that one up later
__6SNDafMnB-Zxf8uNHTf7IRCEI0dOH_tnVVGh_WmPQjrVCwuJnFPB6KkQsEyjgD5QkcePyjeIANJhT9JU_B7t9DlQ-zNKyxMhWRCsdkIy0hS90BJRW3QqH1CZbzurnTn7Yp6ElP6w=w2400

Had some good luck. I was cruising ebay looking hoping to find the larger table for my 150a hardness tester. Mine only had the small table. Well I found a "non functional, parts only" 150a with all the accessories for 80 bucks. Looking at the photos it looked like some minor damage on the handle and I could tell it still had all the packing blocks in place and it was still bolted to the shipping pallet. Decided to take a chance (shipping was 120 bucks). Got it today and yep, all original packing, never used. Got her unpacked and it functions perfectly and is calibrated on the nose! 200 bucks all in.
If you have some time check out the seller Industry Recycles on ebay. I saw lots of goodies on there.
20191003_195734-1209x1209.jpg 20191003_195747-1209x1209.jpg

Getting ready for our big show of the year. Had a batch I had to do before the batch I'm taking to the show.

NQsLPoq.jpg

Sheath day:

fYZSxPB.jpg

A few:

m2YWWnO.jpg

rbquxEv.jpg

n39rUFM.jpg

ZW5X7wc.jpg

Now to get busy. got a batch of 42 to do and we leave on the 16th. The wife has been turning out a lot of our wool vests. Ever wonder why its Horsewright Clothing And Tack Co? These wool vests is what we got started on many years ago, our first product. She just finished this one:

3PNWf4k.jpg

The injured finger is slow healing, making things difficult to get the finish where I want it. Another one to come back to later. This is the 2019 kith kitchen knife, model #2 provided by Warren (thanks, Warren!). Bolster is Bolivian rosewood with a hammered copper faceplate, faux antique oyster shell spacer and dyed black tiger striped maple handle with integral poplar dowel inside.
20191004_144337-1305x734.jpg 20191004_143820-1305x734.jpg 20191004_143939-1305x734.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my first successful leather handle with bocote... (the first first is in my bag of failed scales). Not glued up or marked yet. The handle is sanded to 1200 grit in one direction. My plan is to finish by damp baking at 170 degrees F for an unknown time to harden it up a bit more, then apply warmed up beeswax followed by a clean buff (no compound). If there's a better way I'd be much obliged hearing about it.
IMG_1895.JPG IMG_1896.JPG IMG_1897.JPG

Last edited:
Maybe pin something in there that would have more of a contrast? Maybe something that will darken in an etch perhaps?
This one will be visible ............ This is practice for project I m working on . . . two knives for my kids ....one with 21 , other one with 23 golden pins , Damasteel Thor for son and Damasteel Odins Eye for my daughter :)

H775FoL.jpg

macj8oC.jpg

nlNVdyt.jpg

z8iKQHI.jpg

The injured finger is slow healing, making things difficult to get the finish where I want it. Another one to come back to later. This is the 2019 kith kitchen knife, model #2 provided by Warren (thanks, Warren!). Bolster is Bolivian rosewood with a hammered copper faceplate, faux antique oyster shell spacer and dyed black tiger striped maple handle with integral poplar dowel inside.
View attachment 1207544 View attachment 1207550 View attachment 1207554
Good to see you're getting back on track.

First of all, you guys built a huge knowledge base here, so thank you for that! :)

Finally, it's happening! After 8 months of preparation (and a lot of browsing through this forum) and not much free time, I started grinding my first knife. I got hooked this January while doing a 2-day knife course with Richard Kappeler in Salzburg, Austria. Afterwards I did a one day course with Karlo Ban in Croatia, who at the end of the course generously helped me heat treat my mystery steel. Since then I am patiently using my free time and extra funds to equip a very basic workshop.

Be gentle, it's still a WIP. Mystery steel (cut out from a big old circular saw, maybe 80crv2?), differentially heat treated, 20cm blade, 2,3mm thickness. I will try to put together a wa handle, probably oval since I have no band saw or disc sander. Plenty of mistakes done and plenty of them still to be fixed. I still hope to have a serviceable knife in the end!

GkmV2D0.jpg

kwdOIDj.jpg

HHLXStY.jpg

oSttwoU.jpg

This one will be visible ............ This is practice for project I m working on . . . two knives for my kids ....one with 21 , other one with 23 golden pins , Damasteel Thor for son and Damasteel Odins Eye for my daughter :)

H775FoL.jpg

macj8oC.jpg

nlNVdyt.jpg

z8iKQHI.jpg
I really like this idea!

I really like this idea!
Thanks :thumbsup: Last night I grind bevels , maybe best one I ever grind without correction... :)so far thing go in right way with this project .Plan is carbon fiber for scale with copper pins /4mm/ of course .I wonder ....thin cooper liners between carbon and steel ? ?? Or it will be to much ? I will etch knife in phosphoric acid so it will get some dark color to get more contrast between steel and cooper pins .Tomorrow I will try to heat pins in handle with some very small torch I have to see if I can get red color on them .Will see , so far so good ;)
It is 0.4mm on edge now I will put convex edge from here . . .. .
8a7LWp7.jpg

tmFuZHj.jpg

VqLHpND.jpg

i8gv6ny.jpg

This blade I etch in phosphoric acid ,I think that will look cool with cooper pins
Tjfs8nW.jpg

PS .pins are drill.....with eyeballing so not perfectly in line .It is how I imagine hand made knifes .....:D

Last edited:
Back