What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

some devin thomas raindrop and amboyna.
reNGWa9.jpg

also an ironwood handle coming along.
oZwcnZn.jpg

Finally got back to this one, I had posted pics previously when I was welding the bolsters on. I like this material for family, but would not use it for a knife to sell until I see how it holds up with use n abuse.
PhotoPictureResizer_191126_170325172_crop_964x406.jpg PhotoPictureResizer_191126_170244166_crop_1002x392.jpg
Long way to go.

Finally got back to this one, I had posted pics previously when I was welding the bolsters on. I like this material for family, but would not use it for a knife to sell until I see how it holds up with use n abuse.
View attachment 1239588 View attachment 1239589
Long way to go.
Looking Real Good...I used to feel the same way about "Mother of Pearl" on slippies, but the more I built the more people wanted MOP. The people buying them were aware of the care and handling, but they were not abusing those particular knives more of a Sunday go to Meetin' Gentleman's pocket knife.

z wear pettys

Evfp6ox.jpg

I see z-wear is becoming a staple in your shop. Once you use it, it is very hard to give up that performance. You won’t get the super fine polished edge of hitachi white, but it’s so close, and holds that edge so much longer.

I lengthwise grind what I can. Then I hand sand. But I don’t remove all the opposite scratches. And the customers know this up front. It’s too much work. It’s too difficult and you can’t recover your time.

I Hand sand what I can and then I stop.

I am up front too. Most get scotch brite. At least with kitchen knives, you can grind lengthwise. I have some VSM ceramic belts in up to 400 grit. I’m going to try the norax ceramics up to their equivalent of 700 grit to see how they work. People don’t buy this steel for it’s prettiness. Making a z-wear knife takes as much work as a damascus knife.

I see z-wear is becoming a staple in your shop. Once you use it, it is very hard to give up that performance. You won’t get the super fine polished edge of hitachi white, but it’s so close, and holds that edge so much longer.
Well mostly because it’s efficient to work in batches of the same steel etc.
so I heat treated them all at the same time and might as well get into the grinding mindset all at once :)

Back