What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

C Cushing H. Here ya go. Knives are all finished and laid out on a towel after sharpening. Each is then wiped down with WD40 on a cotton ball. This is done more as a cleaner than a preservative. Bolsters are done with Flitz polish and then a leather lanyard/string thong is blood knotted on. They are then put is a slot in a box with a number. The number tells me what sheath to build and what knife each individual sheath goes to as the sheaths are all fitted to a specific knife.

2cG8d8S.jpg

8qMWHqK.jpg

hNJPD3T.jpg

4wzhH67.jpg

OGpJvO5.jpg

Cold outside, heck not particularly warm in the shop either. Looking past the drill presses out the shop window:

Tfy81NS.jpg

Each knife was tested for sharpness after sharpening.

YF3ly5i.jpg

Wow. And in the time you have done that, ihave just been poking away at a couple knives (and have finished only one..). Ill have to remember the wd40 for cleaning). And each knife is a little different also! In addition to thinking you are a wizard ... i am beginning to wonder if you ever sleep. :)

(Snow here also, not yet 20-30 below zero ... but that is coming :-( )

Wow. And in the time you have done that, ihave just been poking away at a couple knives (and have finished only one..). Ill have to remember the wd40 for cleaning). And each knife is a little different also! In addition to thinking you are a wizard ... i am beginning to wonder if you ever sleep. :)

(Snow here also, not yet 20-30 below zero ... but that is coming :-( )

It usually wouldn't have taken that long! But I lost some time with the weather and the holiday. Two days I didn't work for the holiday and we had a rainstorm too and then the snowstorm which has lasted from Tuesday through Sunday anyhoo. I do most of the knife work outside, so weather can be an issue. Low thirties and high twenties here for the most part counting windchill. I ground the secondary bevel on all those guys outside yesterday after we got back from feeding cattle. Bout the time I was done, I WAS DONE! It was cold! Moved everything inside, cranked up the heater in the shop, went inside and had a glass of antifreeze and then came back out and finished sharpening this batch. I'm up usually around 4. But I'm normally in bed around 8.

I see z-wear is becoming a staple in your shop. Once you use it, it is very hard to give up that performance. You won’t get the super fine polished edge of hitachi white, but it’s so close, and holds that edge so much longer.
How you think it compares to Hitachi blue Willie?
more like with like
Great looking Petty's Harbeer btw

friction folder I made about 3 yrs ago... put a new laminated steel blade in it;
it's almost done, not quite

Good looking knife! I've been to thinking about doing a friction folder with a bottle opener on the tang... Your design gives me things to think about!

Just finished a christmas present for my son. A modified Nakiri - a little longer to allow slicing in addition to chopping, and a little wider to allow more comfortable scooping of sliced vegetables from board to bowl. AEBL steel (from your recommendation), Cocobolo handle with Mothers carnuba wax (per discussion on a recent thread)....
upload_2019-12-6_14-45-2.png

upload_2019-12-6_14-45-48.png
upload_2019-12-6_14-46-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-6_14-44-38.png
    upload_2019-12-6_14-44-38.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 3
Back