What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Here's a fun a little marking/carving knife I made for myself. Being a lefty, I figured I needed my own after marking out the outline of a blade profile on both halves of a saya using a right-handed carving chisel. It also gave me something I could try out a few things on. This was the hidden tang from one of the years old forged blades I had laying around and collecting dust, as I like to save and repurpose scraps and odds & ends to mess around with at various times. Steel is 1084. :)

~Paul
My Youtube Channel
... (Some older vids of some of the older knives I made)

Last edited:
finished up a few edc type blades. A mal paso Seax here in terotuf

View attachment 1264821

An M27 in terotuf. I really liked how this one turned out, nice and light!
View attachment 1264823
mans one in natural linen, I was shooting for a chip carved appearance on this handle.
View attachment 1264825

I made a knife for myself.
View attachment 1264826 View attachment 1264827

Working on my handle contours. Trying to keep everything symmetrical and comfy
View attachment 1264828 View attachment 1264829 View attachment 1264830

Sharpest knife I’ve made so far. This thing is stupid.
View attachment 1264831 View attachment 1264832
If you don’t mind sharing, what did you use to give your scales the “chip and carved “ appearance?

If you don’t mind sharing, what did you use to give your scales the “chip and carved “ appearance?
What C coldsteelburns said.

I used a small wheel attachment, I set the grooves with an X weight 120 belt, then refine them.
For that one I did horizontal grooves down the length of the handle, then just hit all the high points I could to try and make it look like flint Knapping.

Customer supplied drawing special order, 8670, ivory G10 with red G10 liners
GPcxakN.jpg

AmbOlxD.jpg

Dj1s6Yw.jpg

YfLJStG.jpg

KcVOQrw.jpg

nice job ! i see you went all out and bought real hanging divided clear curtains :thumbsup: if your dust collector sucks the walls and curtains inward, cut the curtains 2" or 3" above the floor. i have an enclosed grinding room and a buffing room. just plastic curtains. it saves the rest of the cellar from the dust. well worth the effort.

nice job ! i see you went all out and bought real hanging divided clear curtains :thumbsup: if your dust collector sucks the walls and curtains inward, cut the curtains 2" or 3" above the floor. i have an enclosed grinding room and a buffing room. just plastic curtains. it saves the rest of the cellar from the dust. well worth the effort.
Yeah, I'm letting the strips hang for a bit before I trim them down. Didn't notice any movement but still need to seal off under the workbench too.
The hardest part was figuring out what they were called so I could google them! "Strip Curtain Door" was the winner.

Pretty, pretty, pretty. I like the pattern
Thanks man very inspired by a ceramic KitchenAid knife my wife has. Wish it had brass bolsters with brass liners milled out for the walnut to sit in.... But I just don't feel ready for that yet!

I've been asked to make a larger knife that can stand on it's handle.
(it is in the same style as a medium knife I've made and will be a set of three with a smaller one)

It's a bit of a chalange to have the knife stand on it's handle and still feel good in hand.
Do you see the thin line of light underneath the edge? It's not touching the surface :D

IMG-20200212-190433.jpg

Olive wood on black liners

IMG-20200205-193907.jpg

IMG-20200212-190454.jpg

Thanks man very inspired by a ceramic KitchenAid knife my wife has. Wish it had brass bolsters with brass liners milled out for the walnut to sit in.... But I just don't feel ready for that yet!
Would you be willing to share the pattern? I am actually getting ready to make a few parers based on a stamped victorinox pattern that has my favorite “feel” of all my assorted parers ... but your pattern just looks cooler... :)

Would you be willing to share the pattern? I am actually getting ready to make a few parers based on a stamped victorinox pattern that has my favorite “feel” of all my assorted parers ... but your pattern just looks cooler... :)
I would but I don't have any CAD software at the moment. My AutoCad student license ran out in the summer... so I literally just drew this one out by eye lol. I made a wooden template by tracing the blank... I could send you pictures of my template I guess?

My guess is that the OP is a younger man and not married. If he has a "shop" it means that he can work anytime, anywhere--and get away with it.

I speak for the married man! My shop (and that goes back 20 years) is at the end of our kitchen counter! If you have a knife with a perfectly polished edge from "Bada Bing Cutlery Emporium," I can honestly say it was done right there in this photograph--and most times with dishwasher running!

Shop? Are there really guys that have those?!!!
upload_2020-2-13_8-48-11.jpeg

Back