What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Finished HT on this folder. All went well and final grind done. Snapping as it should in all positions. Was going to use some really nice stag scales on this but I'm considering something drastically different like hunter orange G10 and waiting till the next one for those scales so I'm in a bit of a stall until I decide what to go with.
o3BKuwB.jpg

Yes, that is what you need to do. I love orange G10.
The orange may lose to a pair of amber jigged bone scales I just found in a pile in my shop but I love hunter orange, as well! I have been on a 2 week search for a piece of 5"X4"X1/8" preban elephant ivory in my home. It is LOST and I'm quite sure I'll never find it or it has fallen into some tiny spot in my shop. I've had it so long and likely put it in a "special" spot which I subsequently covered up with junk. Annoyed!

The orange may lose to a pair of amber jigged bone scales I just found in a pile in my shop but I love hunter orange, as well! I have been on a 2 week search for a piece of 5"X4"X1/8" preban elephant ivory in my home. It is LOST and I'm quite sure I'll never find it or it has fallen into some tiny spot in my shop. I've had it so long and likely put it in a "special" spot which I subsequently covered up with junk. Annoyed!

That is a horrible thing to lose, just horrible. Hope it turns up!

That is a horrible thing to lose, just horrible. Hope it turns up!
I'm hoping it will just show up some day. I spent three days searching for my bushing lap making a slipjoint. I knew I had it and I eventually found it under a pile of swarf behind my milling machine next to the bench I store all my machinist stuff. I worry I even brought this up into the main house because it was "nice" so the search area is not small.

Just two weeks :) I've been looking for two months where are my four wheels and belt for rotary platen which i buy two years ago , they are most likely covered with two inch of dust so far :D

I put a $1500 piece of equip in a safe place and it was lost for 2 years.
One day I move a box and there is was.

B001A6E1-B0B7-4419-B09C-3B2B50046265.jpeg
31F46AB2-4C19-40C1-90C9-D307379A440F.jpeg
The progression of the copper water line fittings.
The shoulders on the sheath are a bit proud of the grip. That will be remedied.

Radius at grip/handle and sheath match for a snug fit.
The wood will be wrapped with the black goatskin underneath.

Last edited:
Finally solved a problem I've been dealing with last few days. On my new slipjoint I seemed to be having an issue where after a few assemblies testing things, I found the final pin was getting easier and easier to slide in, accompanied by what I perceived to be a slightly less tension on the blade. Put a tiny extra bend in it, tested again and after 5 minutes opening and closing, it was back to the original state. Oh shit. Its not a proper spring temper. Had to 100% re-ht and temper the spring during which I realized my mistake. When I originally heat treated it at 1950, I left the oven open and watched it go well below 800 before re-setting the program for my 1130 temp to temper (154CM.) In doing a similar thing today I really watched the oven with no spring in there and saw the kiln (overshoot) the 1130 mark and blast up almost to 1150 and maybe more inside before coming back down and would consistently bounce back up over 1140 each time the oven cycled. I think with that much thermal mass still in the bricks, the standard umph the kiln put out to maintain temps was overshooting the target temps. I solved this by doing something so easy I can't believe I never did it before. I lowered the ramp rate from my normal max setting to something like 2 degrees a minute. It now cycled far more precisely and the temper came out perfect from what I can tell with the same spring not only now feeling more snappy but also having the same resistance tapping in the third pin for test assemblies.

I assume if I had brought it up from zero to 1130, it would have likely been fine and not overshot just like when I heat treat normally but for some reason the prior heat treating cycle having lots of inner components still retaining heat made the standard ramp rate too fast. Its a bit of an odd occurrence but the moment I saw the pyrometer his 1150 on the initial re-ramp to 1130 I knew my prior spring was too soft and taking a set and losing its strength over time.

I also did a really amateur job at my first shield inlay, which I now super regret starting on Jigged bone with is completely uneven. This knife has had so many "learning experiences" it'll be riding my pocket either way but here's how it came out. Next time mounting cutter in milling machine and moving piece, this was all just freehand dremel with an engraving tool.
BDPXCGG.jpg

Back