What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

So .... almost a year ago (in a thread about hardness versus sharpening ability) you all were "introduced" to my friend Brian and cooking chinese food...

View attachment 1460918

Well .... as it turned out, Brian was diagnosed with a cancer this last summer, and recently returned from Mayo to recover from some major surgery (right now all actually looks ok :) ). Anyway, a few months ago I approached WEO to help create a damascus chinese cleaver (really a vegetable knife) as a get-well-soon present for brian. Here is the final product, which we gave to Brian yesterday:
View attachment 1460920

View attachment 1460921

William forged out the damascus to requested number of layers and profile - he then sent it to me and I did the bevel grind, adjusted the profile, did the etch (first time!), and made the handle. WEO does make great damascus. Thank you William!

Here are the specs:
15N20 / 1080, 84 layers
62 hrc
handle: octagonal Wa, red dyed stablilized spalted maple (also from weo) with Wenge bolster and butt, red rubberized spacers.

Of course, the first reaction from Brian was "I cant actually use this". I did ultimately extract a promise from him do damn-well use it!!!!! :)

That looks great, good job on the collaboration. Hope your friend is doing better.

That looks great, good job on the collaboration. Hope your friend is doing better.
Thank you. Immediate tests for Brian are positive, but time needs to pass.

ive always planned to move towards more Damascus, but wanted to develop my skills. I will not lie that there were a few times (on both handle and the REALLY long flat grind) that i said “oh shit...”. But it turned out ok (those of you who have done a lot of Damascus can look at the pattern and see that it is not truly a flat grind. But for now I will take comfort that Brian would not see the difference, and I am really only off by a couple layers of laminate...). Still,I a happy I could do something like this for my friend of 25 years....

still ... I can not minimize my thanks to William. This would not have been possible without his help and skills.

That looks great, Cush! Very well done. Hope Brian has years to use it a lot.

And thank you for the shout out. Let me know when you're ready for another piece...

Picked up a Gorton pantograph dirt cheap, ($100) along with a Sheldon 56” lathe and unused HF 33686 Mill along with a lot of other tools/tooling a few weeks back. Mill still has shipping grease/paper on it. This was my first test cut in some scrap cocobolo/Japanese elm burl. So seriously thinking about trying slipjoint very soon. Anchor Template was made on a 3d printer, so cool mix of new and old.

B952CE21-B5B1-413F-BB0F-946599DF3509 by thommoss, on Flickr

Picked up a Gorton pantograph dirt cheap, ($100) along with a Sheldon 56” lathe and unused HF 33686 Mill along with a lot of other tools/tooling a few weeks back. Mill still has shipping grease/paper on it. This was my first test cut in some scrap cocobolo/Japanese elm burl. So seriously thinking about trying slipjoint very soon. Anchor Template was made on a 3d printer, so cool mix of new and old.

$100 for a fullsize pantograph?! WTF? I'd kill for that. I'm currently looking for one and plan to budget $1k for one!

New bbq knife. Hitachi ATS34 stainless, 14cm/5.5" edge, 25cm/10" OAL, stainless bolsters, stabilized radal burl, mosaic pin and sheath by Pancho Elizalde

Pablo

vOnQMG9.jpg

QvqmiXt.jpg

kOrNs5Z.jpg

You really have nerves, I have to admit :) How long it takes ? I try that on almost same size blade and same but flat grind bevel on M42 ...............nada , i give up when i get to 1000 grit and see some big scratches deep down probably from 400 grit :D
Took about 6 hours per side, but I had a REALLY clean 600 grit finish off the wheel to work with...I jumped right to 1500g and just powered through.

Took about 6 hours per side, but I had a REALLY clean 600 grit finish off the wheel to work with...I jumped right to 1500g and just powered through.
I have only 40 grit ceramic belts....................so i start from there :D
What do you think about Don ? It is only knife i really like and I'm willing to pay for it but that THICK convex is killing me :mad:
Only knife i really like ..............:thumbsup:
IMBICub.jpg

Last edited:
Back