What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Nakiri. Part of a 3 knife for set for Germany

SjY9cxl.jpg

Here's one I ground in 2018 and it sat on a shelf ever since. I finished it while waiting for a batch to get back from HT, got em today! Just under 12" in 440C and Chechem scales with Nickel Silver Bolsters and I still need to burnish the sheath edges. I need to build some inventory for an off road event coming up in March.
18-39 1.jpg 18-39 2.jpg 18-39 3.jpg
This one's twin is in Nome AK where it was last seen scraping seal skins.

I'm a brand new knife maker hobbyist and working on my first knife. The examples here are spectacular. Wow!
It's a small EDC little blade based on a beginner's template on Red Beard Ops' TY channel. Have some basic tools and built a beveling jig from Gough, so slowly getting stuff together. Got all the materials to build a little forge out of insulated fire bricks like on Outdoor55's YT channel. That's the next little project while I file and sand the blank to shape. I have the bevels done, now just need to sand it up to 320 before trying my hand at using the forge. I have a test scrap to practice with the forge before trying it out on the real thing. Have Canola oil to quench as it's 1084 steel, which I understand can be quenched in Canola Oil. This site is unbelievable. What a great resource!

Heat treated my first A8 Mod blank. Came out dead straight, and pretty hard too. I knocked it down all the way to 61 Hrc after a third temper :rolleyes:
This 6" long and 0.173" thick blade is going out to a special forces dude. Let's see how it goes..
oOGI336.jpg

Slick design. Looking forward to a non-kitchen blade of yours :) any special ideas for the holes or are they just weight reduction, 2 pins and lanyard hole, bolster?

Thanks! Yes, trying to get away from kitchen knives a little :)
No, nothing special about the holes. 2 holes for corby bolts and one for lanyard tube. Rest is for epoxy bridges.

Slick design. Looking forward to a non-kitchen blade of yours :) any special ideas for the holes or are they just weight reduction, 2 pins and lanyard hole, bolster?

Heat treated my first A8 Mod blank. Came out dead straight, and pretty hard too. I knocked it down all the way to 61 Hrc after a third temper :rolleyes:
This 6" long and 0.173" thick blade is going out to a special forces dude. Let's see how it goes..
oOGI336.jpg
Special forces? No wonder it is 0.17” stock!

Back