What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

It's been some time since I last postet, but I've been working on some stuff, especially kitchen knives that I wanted to share. I'd like to get you fine gentlemens opinion on the overall design. I also spent quite some time on making these magnetic knife blocks you see in the pics. The magnets are inside of the wood, so the knife can rest on a flat wooden surface.

This is my aequilibrium design. Satin finished blade. Hidden tang handle construction with press fit paper micarta bolster, bronze and vulcanised fiber liners and three different beautiful pieces of stabilized wood:

Thanks for looking and let me know what you think.

How thick do you make the wood inbetween the blade and magnet? Do you have any issues with the knife not sticking well or with the wood coming loose?

I make this afternoon this small knife for one old women ,neighbors . She will use it for aplle and things like that .It is 1.2mm HSS steel , hollow grind ,very thin on edge and scary sharp.Now i wonder should i give it this knife ? I m afraid that she will cut fingers ..........? I promised her I'd make her a knife, now I don't know what to do ?
Mya41tR.jpg

GuLLGyJ.jpg

I haven't made many knives for awhile. Since I moved I haven't been able to use my oven so the knives I have made are mostly ground out of old failures. These are far from perfect but they have pretty handles. The spalted maple was made by @weo and it looks great. If anyone has some pointers about how to improve these I would love to hear them. The handles were cut to shape several years ago and I think I have improved but I would still enjoy feedback on these.

vF5lBjU.jpg
cqodOyU.jpg

I make this afternoon this small knife for one old women ,neighbors . She will use it for aplle and things like that .It is 1.2mm HSS steel , hollow grind ,very thin on edge and scary sharp.Now i wonder should i give it this knife ? I m afraid that she will cut fingers ..........? I promised her I'd make her a knife, now I don't know what to do ?
Mya41tR.jpg

GuLLGyJ.jpg

Last two times I sharpened knifes for friends they both cut themselves. I always warn people that they are sharp.

I would warn the lady that the knife is sharp, if she still cooks she will appreciate that great little knife a lot. My mom cooks every day and uses ONLY a small pairing knife like that. She uses a lot of multi tools for chopping these days but back in the day that small knife was everything she used (I think she is afraid of the big knives but doesn't want to admit it).

I haven't made many knives for awhile. Since I moved I haven't been able to use my oven so the knives I have made are mostly ground out of old failures. These are far from perfect but they have pretty handles. The spalted maple was made by @weo and it looks great. If anyone has some pointers about how to improve these I would love to hear them. The handles were cut to shape several years ago and I think I have improved but I would still enjoy feedback on these.

vF5lBjU.jpg
cqodOyU.jpg

Both look like simple, well executed designs to me. Good job :)

Finally got a bit of time in the shop, been hard between knee surgery, crazy work and all sorts of extra curriculars.
Pretty happy with the end result of this, started out from a scrap piece of 1095 which I decided to do a learn build on with the expectation that it would likely end up in the reject pile.
First (intentional) hamon, first makers mark with the new DIY etcher, full zero grind on thin stock, definately a lazer!
Simple black g10 handle, hidden pins and micarta liners.

Bit of a hybrid between a bunka and K tip, will be a fine work user in my kitchen.
Feedback and advice as always welcome.
umTxcd2.jpg

FTC7vWy.jpg

upMRcHu.jpg

vF5lBjU.jpg
cqodOyU.jpg
Look good to me!

THe handle proportions are nicer (at least to my eye) on the first knife, the second has a bit much belly IMO. Im betting it fits the hand well though. Lovely pieces of timber on both!

Look good to me!

THe handle proportions are nicer (at least to my eye) on the first knife, the second has a bit much belly IMO. Im betting it fits the hand well though. Lovely pieces of timber on both!
It didn't have as much belly but I was worried that there wasn't enough inset from the blade, especially since I didn't do a plunge grind. I don't know how to deal with that short of making the blade wider.

The wood was great. I hope someday @weo is able to make more. He was super generous when I was buying it from him and he did a great job. Everyone who has a knife with it loves it. I have one family member who wanted it instead of redwood burl.

Finally got a bit of time in the shop, been hard between knee surgery, crazy work and all sorts of extra curriculars.
Pretty happy with the end result of this, started out from a scrap piece of 1095 which I decided to do a learn build on with the expectation that it would likely end up in the reject pile.
First (intentional) hamon, first makers mark with the new DIY etcher, full zero grind on thin stock, definately a lazer!
Simple black g10 handle, hidden pins and micarta liners.

Bit of a hybrid between a bunka and K tip, will be a fine work user in my kitchen.
Feedback and advice as always welcome.
umTxcd2.jpg

FTC7vWy.jpg

upMRcHu.jpg
The blade style isn't my thing but I lean more to European style blades. I like the cool hamon and I love the handle shape. It's kinda like what I like for my handles but yours is much better. Nice knife!

A good friend asked me to carve up a coin to commemorate his kitty, Opie...I was happy to oblige :) (even though the reason is sad:()

View attachment 1519405 View attachment 1519406

Cool idea preserving the coin date.

I made a lot of extra cash back in the 70's and 80's hand engraving 100 year old "Potty Dollars" from old seated liberty coins. Back then the old worn coins were worth about $2, but once undressed, brought about $40-50. Sometimes I would engrave the whole surface with the bathroom wall with wallpaper, a picture on the wall, and a window with trees outside. Those brought $75.
I won't describe what some engravers did with the eagle on the back.
A good engraver could also have fun with a walking liberty dollar.
If anyone doesn't know about potty dollars, just google images of potty dollars. Most are pretty plain, but some can get downright artistic.

Cool idea preserving the coin date.

I made a lot of extra cash back in the 70's and 80's hand engraving 100 year old "Potty Dollars" from old seated liberty coins. Back then the old worn coins were worth about $2, but once undressed, brought about $40-50. Sometimes I would engrave the whole surface with the bathroom wall with wallpaper, a picture on the wall, and a window with trees outside. Those brought $75.
I won't describe what some engravers did with the eagle on the back.
A good engraver could also have fun with a walking liberty dollar.
If anyone doesn't know about potty dollars, just google images of potty dollars. Most are pretty plain, but some can get downright artistic.
I've seen those Stacy, I'll have to pick some up when silver prices calm down again. Some of the crazy coin carving these days...little mechanisms and stuff, really amazing.

Wanna see some crazy coin carving? Look up Shaun Hughes Engraving on YouTube. He's pretty good.

Back