What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Most of my customers around 80% are male 25-44. This AEBL chefs knife goes to an older woman in England

KJexA3w.jpg

Ron Raducanu Ron Raducanu Thanks for the words of wisdom, I need to think more on this, just didn't have time yet :)

C Cushing H. It's the standard job with a quick release wood vice and precision ground aluminium plates 40x10x2.5 cm (both from Amazon). The plates are each tapped for 2 m6 screws. I just cut a wood block of appropriate size to elevate the vice for the needed height and side clarence. The block is screwed from bottom to the table and the vice is screwed on with 2 strong screws and washers. Since the jaws of the vice are not parallel, you should put a piece of rubber in between the plates and vice (you can see my failed attempt to do that with floor mat). JT and others wrote on this type of quench vice, Simple little life on YT has a video on it as well.

Thanks for the offer, I will shoot you an email once I had time to think on all of this :)
simple little life - got it! (funny, I missed threads about this on BF - not sure why......)

It's tough. I just turned 30 and I am seriously questioning my day job and vocation. I don't want to work 50-60 hours weeks in an office, and not have quality free time for family, friends and doing stuff I like. I don't want to question my choices 20 or 30 years down the line and ask myself where my life went. I am seriously considering settling for less materialy and trying to do something else but on my own terms. At the moment I am lucky to have no debts and no (family) obligations to make this choices, but I am still indecisive.

There, I let it out now. Sorry for the OT. Here are the pics that I posted the other day in the Niolox HT thread. My first stainless HT. The old oven works like a charm.

3TOqSew.jpg

rboGW6m.jpg

i9PmIYv.jpg

GVeWew9.jpg
I didn’t start knifemaking until I was 46. I’m 52 now. 4th year full time and still broke but it’s on my terms

tell me about your furnace.

I didn’t start knifemaking until I was 46. I’m 52 now. 4th year full time and still broke but it’s on my terms

The furnance is a 3kw 1976 Nabetherm (last serviced in 2015) that I bought in eBay for a whooping price of 300 Euros. Nabertherm is a German company that is still in business and produces industry quality HT appliances. Internal chamber is around 42x20x10 cm, it weighs around 60 kg. Heating elements are hidden beneath the bottom and top of the chamber in grooves. The top is supported by ceramic rods on the side. I took them out to have a look at the elements. The temp regulator and thermometer are analog, it has a small viewing window, max temp is set to 1100°C. It needs about an hour to get to 1050°c.

I bought a k type TC and inkbird of Amazon, but I put off installing it since it works good as it is. I will probably stick the TC in from the back hole to double check the Temps (the hole is currently plugged with ceramic wool).

Couple of months ago there was a huge newer generation nabetherm in local classifieds (15 kw) with a chamber you could fit a large dog in being given away for FREE. It needed some love, but looked to be in good condition. A local knife maker got it.

And respect for your decision, you are producing great looking knives!

Pretty excited about these pics I got in the mail, from my grinder builder. 20"/500 mm wheel 3 hp machine assembled and being shipped soon.

Konstantin at Volf48 has delivered top quality stuff to me in the past, so this should be awesome.
The wheel I bought from Claryx, a well known maker and very good to communicate with.
mApTFdU.jpg

zbifgh8.jpg

Got a Work Sharp Precisions Adjust yesterday and sharpened up my 1st knife. Although I know how to use a sharpening stone, I wanted to try this and am very impressed with it. It needs to come with more grits, but I enjoyed using it.

It's tough. I just turned 30 and I am seriously questioning my day job and vocation. I don't want to work 50-60 hours weeks in an office, and not have quality free time for family, friends and doing stuff I like. I don't want to question my choices 20 or 30 years down the line and ask myself where my life went. I am seriously considering settling for less materialy and trying to do something else but on my own terms. At the moment I am lucky to have no debts and no (family) obligations to make this choices, but I am still indecisive.

There, I let it out now. Sorry for the OT. Here are the pics that I posted the other day in the Niolox HT thread. My first stainless HT. The old oven works like a charm.

3TOqSew.jpg

rboGW6m.jpg

i9PmIYv.jpg

GVeWew9.jpg
If it’s any consolation, I’m pulling close to 70 hours a week at a desk job, and I’m up to my eyeballs in debt at the age of 39. I’m a hobbyist knife maker and it can be difficult to find time to spend in my shop to keep orders moving. However, I like to stay on top of things so I had to learn to prioritize.

Back