What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Ron Raducanu

Basic Member
I spent most of this evening trying to correct an error I made when grinding the bevel. I eventually fixed the mistake, but it took forever and doing it by hand was exhausting. I think I'm going to build a bevel grinding jib and start practicing on my 1x30. I don't think I can do that again, LOL. And I'm quite sure I'll make a lot more mistakes!

John Cahoon

JWC Custom Knives
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Here's a new hidden tang gaucho about ready for epoxy. Roughly 12" OAL in 80CRV2, bocote, leather and elk. and oh, I don't know, a little bit of this and that in the bolster! Poor photo lighting from this morning I guess. wip1.jpg wip2.jpg

I spent most of this evening trying to correct an error I made when grinding the bevel. I eventually fixed the mistake, but it took forever and doing it by hand was exhausting. I think I'm going to build a bevel grinding jib and start practicing on my 1x30. I don't think I can do that again, LOL. And I'm quite sure I'll make a lot more mistakes!

I think my current build times are 60% executing the design and 40% fixing the stuff ups I make along the way....

Finished up this tall-ish vegetable cleaver, knife. Very subtle belly, we'll see how that works out. Grind is convex.
l1C4Ag1.jpg
tjzll3n.jpg

A.McPherson

Veg cleavers are thin, with long often full flat or "s" grinds.

Meat cleavers are thick, usually with partial bevels with a lot to thickness behind the edge.

Speaking in generalities of course...

Beautiful work! What's the difference in shape between a vegetable and meat cleaver? Is the stock just thicker?

Thank you. This one is for Mrs Knifemaker. I built her a greenhouse last fall, and she's growing a ton of vegetables there. So I figured this would be suitable.

A.McPherson answered your question. This one is from 2.5 mm 14c28n stock, and has a pretty much full convex grind.

FredyCro

Basic Member
VkSAP1Y.jpg

I would like your feedback on the profiles of this heavy duty hunter/EDC. It's 4mm Becut at 62 HRC. I will try tapered tang and crowned spine, maybe some jimping with a dremel. FFG, still didn't Muster the courage for hollow grind, but maybe this will change :)

FredyCro

Basic Member
No, it has a very, very, discrete belly towards the more rounded tip. It's a bit of an experiment, and unusual I know.
Some Chinese cleavers have that straight edge. They have very specific cutting way, I am really amazed by the skills some chef demonstrate with it.

Agreed. Part of me wants to ask if you are on another forum under another name because that looks like a low layer feather billet I made a while ago.
Good looking blade.
Yes I am and yes you did. I cut off 2" piece and forged this little gem from the long billet I got from you.

Reactions: weo

weo

Cool! if this is only 2" I can't wait to see what else you come up with. The lower layer pattern looks better in a blade than I thought it would.

fitzo

Basic Member
So very nice. Transition zones are wonderful and the handle is lovely. Makes you start feeling it cut veggies in your head. :)

Native XF ad, Below bottom BC