What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

OKq0ycq.mp4

I spent most of this evening trying to correct an error I made when grinding the bevel. I eventually fixed the mistake, but it took forever and doing it by hand was exhausting. I think I'm going to build a bevel grinding jib and start practicing on my 1x30. I don't think I can do that again, LOL. And I'm quite sure I'll make a lot more mistakes!

Here's a new hidden tang gaucho about ready for epoxy. Roughly 12" OAL in 80CRV2, bocote, leather and elk. and oh, I don't know, a little bit of this and that in the bolster! Poor photo lighting from this morning I guess.wip1.jpg wip2.jpg

I spent most of this evening trying to correct an error I made when grinding the bevel. I eventually fixed the mistake, but it took forever and doing it by hand was exhausting. I think I'm going to build a bevel grinding jib and start practicing on my 1x30. I don't think I can do that again, LOL. And I'm quite sure I'll make a lot more mistakes!

I think my current build times are 60% executing the design and 40% fixing the stuff ups I make along the way....

Veg cleavers are thin, with long often full flat or "s" grinds.

Meat cleavers are thick, usually with partial bevels with a lot to thickness behind the edge.

Speaking in generalities of course...

Beautiful work! What's the difference in shape between a vegetable and meat cleaver? Is the stock just thicker?

Thank you. This one is for Mrs Knifemaker. I built her a greenhouse last fall, and she's growing a ton of vegetables there. So I figured this would be suitable.

A.McPherson answered your question. This one is from 2.5 mm 14c28n stock, and has a pretty much full convex grind.

VkSAP1Y.jpg

I would like your feedback on the profiles of this heavy duty hunter/EDC. It's 4mm Becut at 62 HRC. I will try tapered tang and crowned spine, maybe some jimping with a dremel. FFG, still didn't Muster the courage for hollow grind, but maybe this will change :)

No, it has a very, very, discrete belly towards the more rounded tip. It's a bit of an experiment, and unusual I know.
Some Chinese cleavers have that straight edge. They have very specific cutting way, I am really amazed by the skills some chef demonstrate with it.

Agreed. Part of me wants to ask if you are on another forum under another name because that looks like a low layer feather billet I made a while ago.
Good looking blade.
Yes I am and yes you did. I cut off 2" piece and forged this little gem from the long billet I got from you.

Reactions: weo
Cool! if this is only 2" I can't wait to see what else you come up with. The lower layer pattern looks better in a blade than I thought it would.

Back