What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

So very nice. Transition zones are wonderful and the handle is lovely. Makes you start feeling it cut veggies in your head. :)

This one is finished, just needs an edge and sheath.
150 mm blade, 4.7 mm A8 Mod steel at 61 Hrc. Convex geometry, distal taper. Micarta, G10 liners, corby rivets.
bwSGCrK.jpg

I3yo9pN.jpg

Your pictures did not show up. I've included them below. What handle material is that?
RT1yVHu.jpeg

9BBzpXF.jpeg

JlFkunw.jpeg

UjfsTfm.jpeg
Oh, thank you very much.

It's been a while since I posted so I couldn't remember how to get it to work. That is c-tec scales, micarta bolster with a copper Corby bolt. 2 black micarta pins as well in the scales.

.070 AEB-L 62 rockwell ground close to zero with a mild convex.

It weeel slice!

1st time using a Corby bolt because the metal is so thin I did not want it to flex laterally and pry against the scales.

1st time using the c-tec as well and it was really easy to work with. I do have a thin red G10 liner as well for extra strength under scales and bolster.

2 very thin coats of tru oil on the works as well.

Oh, thank you very much.

It's been a while since I posted so I couldn't remember how to get it to work. That is c-tec scales, micarta bolster with a copper Corby bolt. 2 black micarta pins as well in the scales.

.070 AEB-L 62 rockwell ground close to zero with a mild convex.

It weeel slice!

1st time using a Corby bolt because the metal is so thin I did not want it to flex laterally and pry against the scales.

1st time using the c-tec as well and it was really easy to work with. I do have a thin red G10 liner as well for extra strength under scales and bolster.

2 very thin coats of tru oil on the works as well.
That turned out really nice. I have not seen multi-colored C-Tek like that before.

My best work to date - I need to take better pictures.

O1/Dama (15n20/1080) san mai billet was given to me by my friend Nanda Knives
Black Canvas Micarta Bolster
Stabilized redwood burl
A little under 10'' overall

9FpzYfw.jpg

h3AX2bh.jpg

And heres the previous one I finished, rescued from the sCrap pile
1084 and curly Red Gum
Approx 12+''

uwk28JM.jpg

Last edited:
Made a horrible mistake with my bevels and plunge lines and after all weekend trying to correct things, I think it'll still turn out okay. Live and learn. I need to make a grinding jig and start practicing on my 1x30.

rZLwZFZ.jpg

3fJAI9u.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I'm jealous of most of the guys work and shops here... and wonder how much $$$ was spent into all the gear lol. While I'm looking to slowly gear up and being reasonable with a limited budget, I still wanted to get going fast and try out things. I built the Gough Jig with some tweaks. I had a piece of O-1 that I figured I would do test on whilst I wait (probably a long while) to get at least a belt grinder.
ub2ySGA.jpg

Just made it wider and used two rows, first one closer to the edge for smaller stuff. Put some threaded inserts in the holes and spun some bolts in a drill on a sander to get them round to use as stops.

I've always loved daggers and fighting knives so I wanted to test that out... and found out after that I should have started with something simpler but all in all, pretty satisfied and surprised at how well that part went with my limited resources! Picked up a bastard 10" and 8" round at Homedepot while I wait for the good stuff to come by mail.

I LOVE the Extrema Pugio knife.. the look is so slick but the price tag is just too big lol. So I figured I'd try to make something similar to test just how hard it is.
WDaS2u0.jpg
ojvccc0.jpg
1MmiKRk.jpg
2SdsJVB.jpg

Going to sand the blades off properly this week and have it heat treated at our local Forge then slap on the scales and form them properly! Had a small odd piece left and wanted to not waste it so I made a lil stubby thing out of it? Heh" The daggers are 9" long and the small one is like 6".

So this was my weekends adventure!
YkOY8eZ.jpg

I'm a wood worker so metal tools aren't really a thing around my shop and also having shrapnel and metal dust all over would really piss off the owners lol... Getting some Pferd files this week! Need a few good metal drill bits in metric and I should be able to do all the work up to HT.

Voilà!

Well, I'm jealous of most of the guys work and shops here... and wonder how much $$$ was spent into all the gear lol. While I'm looking to slowly gear up and being reasonable with a limited budget, I still wanted to get going fast and try out things. I built the Gough Jig with some tweaks. I had a piece of O-1 that I figured I would do test on whilst I wait (probably a long while) to get at least a belt grinder.
ub2ySGA.jpg

Just made it wider and used two rows, first one closer to the edge for smaller stuff. Put some threaded inserts in the holes and spun some bolts in a drill on a sander to get them round to use as stops.

I've always loved daggers and fighting knives so I wanted to test that out... and found out after that I should have started with something simpler but all in all, pretty satisfied and surprised at how well that part went with my limited resources! Picked up a bastard 10" and 8" round at Homedepot while I wait for the good stuff to come by mail.

I LOVE the Extrema Pugio knife.. the look is so slick but the price tag is just too big lol. So I figured I'd try to make something similar to test just how hard it is.
WDaS2u0.jpg
ojvccc0.jpg
1MmiKRk.jpg
2SdsJVB.jpg

Going to sand the blades off properly this week and have it heat treated at our local Forge then slap on the scales and form them properly! Had a small odd piece left and wanted to not waste it so I made a lil stubby thing out of it? Heh" The daggers are 9" long and the small one is like 6".

YkOY8eZ.jpg

I'm a wood worker so metal tools aren't really a thing around my shop and also having shrapnel and metal dust all over would really piss off the owners lol... Getting some Pferd files this week! Need a few good metal drill bits in metric and I should be able to do all the work up to HT.

Voilà!
Awesome job with the tools you have.
Symmetry looks good.

ub2ySGA.jpg

WDaS2u0.jpg
ojvccc0.jpg
1MmiKRk.jpg
2SdsJVB.jpg

YkOY8eZ.jpg

Voilà!
Like it ! Obviously you know how to use jig..............IF I don’t have lot of already hardened steel i will never make or use belt grinder..........

Like it ! Obviously you know how to use jig..............IF I don’t have lot of already hardened steel i will never make or use belt grinder..........
This is legit the first time I used this jig.. I just made it and went at it :D lol. I've also been working with my hands my whole life so there's that. Watching all the videos and such helped a lot... compared to that time I took a blacksmithing course. THAT didn't go so well.. :|

I want to use the cool stuff like 20cv and M390 to make some knives so a belt grinder will be pretty much needed then no? I know we can rent time on them at the local Forge, might be a better option.

Back