What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

This is legit the first time I used this jig.. I just made it and went at it :D lol. I've also been working with my hands my whole life so there's that. Watching all the videos and such helped a lot... compared to that time I took a blacksmithing course. THAT didn't go so well.. :|

I want to use the cool stuff like 20cv and M390 to make some knives so a belt grinder will be pretty much needed then no? I know we can rent time on them at the local Forge, might be a better option.
Unless you are doing some really thin grinds like on kitchen knives those steels are actually really good for you since they are air hardened in some sort of 02 free environment and don't have any decor. If I remember .0010 is ok with most heat treaters and a friend was able to do a couple of pieces for me that I forgot and went thinner and there is no warp and they just need a bit if cleanup. You might have a little bit of tough hand sanding but if you want a hand finish you are going to have to do that anyway.

Stainless Damascus, Mammoth ivory scales. Engraved by Luis Sigaudo, sheath by Pancho Elizalde.

Pablo

x9PkPp5.jpg

kMCIHp8.jpg

7DRR3e4.jpg

xWaNaHf.jpg

Here's a tanto like object I'm working on in NitroV. It's got a flared tip that went very well. I blue tape the starts and stops but always overrun but this time the over was dead even. A little bit of decent file work too. The guard nubs are add ons because I just can't abide a smooth transition from handle to blade, it always seems dangerous. Eventually I hope to get a paracord wrap on this. I've watched vids but there's no substitute for doing, right?WIP1.jpgWIP2.jpgWIP3.jpg

I'm still playing around with different belt finishes trying to decide which one I like best and where to stop. I have to say a clean 220 followed by green/blue Scotchbrite leaves a good user finish. Too bad them belts mess up the transitions a bit though, especially on thin high grinds.
EycFOSu.jpg
I haven't tried stopping at 220, that looks nice. I usually stop with an a30 trizact, then blend it all with a blue scotchbrite belt.

I haven't tried stopping at 220, that looks nice. I usually stop with an a30 trizact, then blend it all with a blue scotchbrite belt.

A30 is a fine finish. From there I would go with grey (very fine) Scotchbrite I think. Have you tried cork belts yet? They also give a good finish and do some blending. But they keep the transitions crisper!

A30 is a fine finish. From there I would go with grey (very fine) Scotchbrite I think. Have you tried cork belts yet? They also give a good finish and do some blending. But they keep the transitions crisper!
I have tried cork. I have an 800 and 1200 grit cork. I’ve tried them plain and loaded with green compound. I haven’t been happy with the finish I’ve gotten with them. I’m not positive that I’ve gotten them broken in properly just yet.

I have tried cork. I have an 800 and 1200 grit cork. I’ve tried them plain and loaded with green compound. I haven’t been happy with the finish I’ve gotten with them. I’m not positive that I’ve gotten them broken in properly just yet.

In my experience they don't need a whole lot of breaking in. A minute or two. I find it is important to have 100% finish before using them to get it nice. Eg a complete 400 grit finish with no scratches left from the previous grit, then 400 grit cork.

Back