What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

In my experience they don't need a whole lot of breaking in. A minute or two. I find it is important to have 100% finish before using them to get it nice. Eg a complete 400 grit finish with no scratches left from the previous grit, then 400 grit cork.
That’s more than likely my problem. I usually have a few deeper scratches I just didn’t get out. I’m getting better though. I even vary my grinding direction 45° each time to be sure all the deeper scratches are gone, but still, when I get to the higher grits, it seems like they appear out of nowhere. That’s why I like the scotchbrite belts, they can blend and hide that.

Last edited:
Finished this one today.
MlWWOLN.jpg

Chip do you draw your concepts freehand, and also cut them freehand?

Chip do you draw your concepts freehand, and also cut them freehand?
The knotwork is usually drawn freehand, the basketweave type stuff I'll transfer a basic pattern at the right scale to the piece for spacing and orientation. Cutting is all done completely freehand, only thing steering the chisel is me...pitch, roll, and yaw are all in the wrist ;)

This is good to hear. I really look up to your work, and have taken your advice and gotten a flex-shaft for my dremel. I screwed the foot pedal to the side of my bench so I can keep my stance stable and simply lean my hip into the peddle. Now with a bit of practice, I'll be cranking out "Chipped-metal" quality work in easily 1-2 hundred years. ;)

The "brush" is actually a brush, with a lead soldered to the ferrule holding the bristles.

Thank you. I came across my anodizing rig he other day and the scraps I had experimented coloring. I plan to try again. Thank you for the reply. I will ask my wife which one of her brushes is cheapest! :)

I have another question, if you would, and it's not a trade secret: what type of graver to cut Ti and what face/heel? Thanks in advance.

Very nice work! Happy to see an engraver here.

Thank you. I came across my anodizing rig he other day and the scraps I had experimented coloring. I plan to try again. Thank you for the reply. I will ask my wife which one of her brushes is cheapest! :)

I have another question, if you would, and it's not a trade secret: what type of graver to cut Ti and what face/heel? Thanks in advance.

Very nice work! Happy to see an engraver here.
I cut almost everything with cobalt, 96° with 45/15.

I cut almost everything with cobalt, 96° with 45/15.
Thanks! I have a couple Carbalts here, and I found a whole box of Ti plate last night I'd been starting with when I left the shop ca. 2010 along with a couple pieces I had practiced anodizing. So, your work has my total interest, sir. Thanks, again!

Back