What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Was going to post some pics of kitchen knives I finished grinding that turned out great. But still have to post on Imgur first unless you pay I guess. Very frustrating. I thought surely this upgrade will have the feature every other forum does where you post pics from camera roll. Maybe in a few years with the next upgrade.

I paid the basic membership, but still post from imgur since you can “build in“ the images. Takes extra 1 min of my time on my phone.

Made this little EDC for one of my young daughters. It’s made from raindrop pattern Damascus I got from weo weo . The handles I think are dyes and stabilized curly maple. I went on a scale buying spree a while back and that’s what these are, as best I can recall. I had the spine etched with the blade and shaped up the scales as best I could before gluing them on. But my inexperience shone through and I boogered up the spine while putting on the finishing touches, so I just brought it to a mirror finish. I may try taping the handles up and re etching the spine.
x92o0cb
fJBdTnU.jpg

I did some stuff. Here's two pics of the larger work surface for my 1x30 I put together and also my new knife beveling jig I built based on the one Walter Sorrels recommended on his YT channel. The other is the scales I made for knife #2. Still have some work to do on those before I can drill them out. Will be using 3/16" piping.
EDIT: One thing that doesn't show in the pic of the scales is there is a red liner as well.
AiTYGT6.jpg

zBuv3Tb.jpg

Y1o0oD0.jpg

Bummer! What did you use to set the angle? Did you cut/grind them together?

I first cut the 45 angle with a miter saw and template. I even taped them togther with double sided tape when cutting them. I then just smoothed then off on my 1x30. It looked fine when I drilled the holes with the knife as a template, but when I took down the material, that's what I ended up with. It's my first time trying this ever, and I'm sure I was a bit off with my cuts. Live and learn. I need to get a miter gauge assembly for my bandsaw. That'll probably make the cut much more accurate.

I first cut the 45 angle with a miter saw and template. I even taped them togther with double sided tape when cutting them. I then just smoothed then off on my 1x30. It looked fine when I drilled the holes with the knife as a template, but when I took down the material, that's what I ended up with. It's my first time trying this ever, and I'm sure I was a bit off with my cuts. Live and learn. I need to get a miter gauge assembly for my bandsaw. That'll probably make the cut much more accurate.

What you need is a disc grinder with a mitre gauge. Make the cut free hand or not on the band saw then clean up on disc.

Align the scales spine and belly. Fix with a few drops CA glue. Finish front radius of scales.
eUAxfzF.jpg

Align blade. Attach with few drops CA.
fF3xVoK.jpg

Drill holes.
yVrZ2rR.jpg

Back