What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Just finished up this castration blade. This is a new style for me with the finger guard on it. It’s made out of 52100 with dyed box elder burl scales.

Xf20MQR.jpg

Very Nice Stacy, advantages of having a lathe in the shop!!!

Pablo
Actually, I drilled Corby bolts out on the drill press and tapped them by hand. The 10-32 knurled brass screws were about $2 each. I put a drop of Loctite on the screw as I screwed it in. I made sets in all the Corby sizes I use. I call them Corby tools. Using them insures 100% alignment of the Corby bolts in final installation.

To use them:
1) Clamp the scales together and drill one through hole in the Corby shank size.
2) Counterbore each scale .
3) Put in one set of the Corby tools finger tight.
4) Drill the second hole and counterbore.
5) Install another Corby tool.
6) Drill the third hole, if you have one, and install the Corby Tool.
7) Once all holes are drilled and Corby tools installed, sand, shape and polish the front of the scales.
8) Remove the Corby tools and assemble knife as normal.

TIP:
Drill all tang holes 15% to 25% oversize to prevent binding.

"I virtually always angle the front of the scale/bolster at 35-45° using the disc sander's tilting table. Corby tools would be in the way during that procedure 🤔"

I don't think so. The ones I make don't stick out very far. I regularly shape the handle front either angled or round with no contact with the Corby Tools. I agree that the big ones Pablo has would get in the way for your style handle shaping.

Thank you!!!

It really is not turning out how I had hoped, but it taught me a lot. I was hoping to see a nice bevel line, but I ground it out too much by hand. I'm practicing using my 1x30 and will grind the bevel on the next knife using that.

If you ever make a knife that you are totally happy with, you should quit while you're ahead.

You did well. Treasure any difficulties and mistakes as learning experiences. And then, of course, strive to not repeat the same mistake. :)

I've been sitting on some 15N20 ring knife blanks for a little while, and I feel now is a good time to get them ready and put them out there. I learned yesterday and today that Terotuf smells surprisingly fruity and delicious during grinding! o_O

IMG_1084.JPG

Yeah, I saw it on K Royers YT channel. Quite neat.

Ekims tutorial is awesome. There are other good ones for chef knives, basically you wanne angle the tip 45 or more degrees down when grinding (if grinding edge up) to have a long (not cut in plunge). Then you feather the transition in.
Do you have any videos of that by any chance? I think I see what you're describing, but would still appreciate a video. I've seen that Ekims tutorial, and everything Kyle Royer does is A+ in my books!

Do you have any videos of that by any chance? I think I see what you're describing, but would still appreciate a video. I've seen that Ekims tutorial, and everything Kyle Royer does is A+ in my books!
This one describes it good.

There is another vid that I can't find now, I think H Hubert S. posted somewhere on the forum before.

If you ever make a knife that you are totally happy with, you should quit while you're ahead.

You did well. Treasure any difficulties and mistakes as learning experiences. And then, of course, strive to not repeat the same mistake. :)

Yeah, it's always something.
Maybe if the blade was just a little longer, or a little wider, or the handle was a little thinner, or the guard was a little further back, or the scales were a different material, or......., or .........

Back