What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Yeah, I made the original with the intention of it being a "non-hunter hunter". A lot of people, myself included, do a lot more camp cooking than hunting, but my most used camp knife was a cheap little santoku that lives in my mess box, and wasn't really good for anything else. I thought it would be nice to carry one knife that would handle just about anything I needed to do on most trips.

My original intention was to pair this with a small paring knife in a double sheath as a set. Either way, I got good response after the first was posted for sale, and have a couple more in addition to the above to make. They ended up almost taking over this bar of S35, but I would have gone nuts making a whole bar of nothing but those. :p

Edit: for the q about the scallops, I actually have a little jig I thought up, it's on the list of things to try. It's actually intended for another knife I plan on making, the "best ever cheese knife". :)

Nice job on the Fuller on that dagger, How did you do that one?
Before or after the bevels?

First, I knock the corners down with a 50 or 60X belt and a contact wheel (usually the 10", but whatever size fits in the area you're grinding), then move up to a 120X belt on the wheel, and then I move to a 120X J-flex belt without any support behind it--- I hesitate to say slack belt, because I run it with a lot of tension on it.

I round my spines the same way using a 120 J flex belt. I also leave the radiuses on the spine at 120 grit so there is a slight amount of traction for using pinch grip or your off hand on the spine.

Sheath making today and the rest of the week... man I so dislike leatherwork, but at least I'm down to the fittings now.

Cut grind deburr peen drill deburr fit adjust refit deburr rivet polish.... joy.

Sheath making today and the rest of the week... man I so dislike leather work...

That's how I always felt until I got Paul Long's sheath videos and watched them several times. Leather work still drives me crazy sometimes, and I am still way too slow at it... But--- Paul's videos helped build an enthusiasm to where I actually enjoy making sheaths now. :)

Heres a few shots of whats brewing around here! lol
Finally got my forging gear under one roof, still learning how to use everything though!
Couple of pics of some knife projects I have going....

Attachments

• SDC17512.jpg
    SDC17512.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 333
  • SDC17522.jpg
    SDC17522.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 319
  • SDC17523.jpg
    SDC17523.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 350
  • SDC17525.jpg
    SDC17525.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 349
That's how I always felt until I got Paul Long's sheath videos and watched them several times. Leather work still drives me crazy sometimes, and I am still way too slow at it... But--- Paul's videos helped build an enthusiasm to where I actually enjoy making sheaths now. :)

There was a visible improvement in your leather work when that happened.

Heres a few shots of whats brewing around here! lol
Finally got my forging gear under one roof, still learning how to use everything though!
Couple of pics of some knife projects I have going....

Great looking press! Who is the maker? How many tons! How well does it roll around? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

Thanks Sam.

Looking good Greg! :)

Here's what's on my bench right now... a MESS. :D A lot of guys seem to think I never make a mess in the shop. I actually ALWAYS make a mess... I just like for everything to have a place so that it's easy to clean up and know where everything is.

And I wish I could get a truckload of this stabilized, spalted Oak Burl!!! This is the second block I have used from my stash, and the stuff is crazy cool (IMHO). The pic was taken at a hand sanded 1200X grit not quite finished, finish. ;)

benchwork nov a.jpg benchwork nov b.jpg

Thanks Nick. Usually I'm using the shoe shine only after knocking the edges off the spine with an 80 grit.

Looks like I need to add some steps.

Thanks man. :)

Finaly managed to get some pics.
Working on two scandies at the moment. I found it a lot harder to get lines that look right, then it would seem.
They have a subtile beauty imho.

Here I'm working on my first scandy sheeth. A very different ball game compared to the few "normal" sheets I've made. A good book helps.
SAM_1164.JPG

2nd one is wallnut wood with my first domed pinn :D
Love this domed pinn, but talk about patience! Tapping a few hundered times wearing ear protection, but it is something I want to get better at.
SAM_1168.JPG

SAM_1170.JPG

The knife and my extra special modded doming hammer :)
SAM_1177.JPG

Last edited:
Hengelo- are you using a setting anvil for the pin? They make "dished" anvils that might make that much easier, although I haven't tried mine yet. I want to say that I picked it up at Tandy Leather, but it's been a few years. Knife and sheath look great too.

Thnx.
It's my first time doming and had to find a way that works. Didn's know about those special anvils, but that sounds good.
I clamped the pin between two pieces of wood with a hole drilled in them and domed one side first.
Then put it trough the knife, balanced the domed side on an other ballpeen hammer and did the other side.
It's these small detaills that I enjoy most!

I thought your hammer was photoshopped when I first saw it, LOL. Doming pins is a heck of a lot easier if you can put the knife in a fixed position to free up both hands so you can hold a hammer in one and a punch in the other. :)

Speaking of leather work, that's what I'm doing right now too.... :)

benchwork nov c.jpg

Thats what I have been doing. Had a customer want his belt worked on and ended up doing a replacement sheath for him as well. Its been a little while since I did a sheath but finished up yesterday.

Also working on some saya chisels but they are sitting in the forge right now coasting down, Ill get pics when I get a chance to pull them out.

ostrich sheath 004.jpg

Not knife related but I came up with an easy multi angle tablet stand made from a chunk of 2x4 and multiple passes on a table or miter saw.

tablet not shown as I was taking the picture with it.

Well...here's my newbie contribution. My shop is a corner in my garage. I use hand files, a drill press, and a 4x36 belt/disc sander; bare bones right now. This blade is my third blade. It is my first stub tang, first hamon, and it will be my first time using antler for the handle. I am happy to get the hamon and that I didn't break the blade to get it. I'm hooked now...

IMG_1790_zps5463b4a3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1788_zpsbb9c9cd5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1786_zps2ca43a30.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I thought your hammer was photoshopped when I first saw it, LOL. Doming pins is a heck of a lot easier if you can put the knife in a fixed position to free up both hands so you can hold a hammer in one and a punch in the other. :)

The hammer does look strange :D I cut the other end off to save weight.
What kind of punch do you use?
I've been looking at goldsmith doming punches, is that what you mean?
RIMG0031-02.jpg

Back