What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Some pics of recent projects.
UTqlSm2.jpg

TNr2sYr.jpg

60za2ld.jpg

qHTTdSY.jpg

UaGLOmE.jpg

PfuEUod.jpg

c1ayGjP.jpg
yDJUke0.jpg

You know what would make this knife look better? A nice ,broad ,shallow ,smooth ,subtle hollow grind like it looks like your knife has!
Last night i grind this one .Shallow hollow grind .Steel is 52100 , 3.5 mm thick and 0.25- 0.30 behind edge .I don t understand why there is not that much knives grind that way ? Much easier to grind , much less heat , belt would last much longer , better cutter .....endless advantage ?
What you see is belt finish on when new was 40 grit ceramic belt ............

Nice initiative. I'd really like to se more shop tours from people on here. I enjoy it.
Don't blame me ................... you asked for it , so enjoy 🙂If i clean shop now , i will never finish some small project started and now parts for them are lying on the floor .......

What you don t see /other place / my almost finished low vacuum HT furnace , my unfinished mill roll , sand pot furnace .....i need to look what more was there....

Don't blame me ................... you asked for it , so enjoy 🙂If i clean shop now , i will never finish some small project started and now parts for them are lying on the floor .......

What you don t see /other place / my almost finished low vacuum HT furnace , my unfinished mill roll , sand pot furnace .....i need to look what more was there....

NICE!! I'm a little jealous. You have so much loose material to work with. That's my #1 issue at the moment. I have to really be careful with what I have because raw materials are really hard to come by and super expensive. Junk yards aren't doing business like they used to and you can't go picking for raw metal anywhere around me anymore. It all goes right to get repurposed for big bucks.

Love your shop, brother!

Finally got around trying the new 500 mm / 20" wheel grinder. Also first time grinding a blade on a wheel instead of platen. I quite like it. This is 2.5 mm / 0.1" stock. It leaves a pretty discrete hollow.

h7OVlRE.jpg

Nice grind. My thought though is that it is unnatural that your file guide looks that nice and clean.
Here’s a hunting/survival knife I’m working on next to the template the customer gave me to work from. I still have a little work left, and ended up giving it a FFG since this picture was taken like the template shows. The blade steel is 8670, and it will get a set of textured G10 scales held on by Chicago screws.
69-A206-EF-BC04-4673-8-D4-B-8-CA9798-C32-E9.jpg

We could tell that was a customer design before you let us know......:)

More then 40 years I think ...........that was my father shop used as car service then , it is 8 x 5 meters.There I learn what I know today about automobiles..........only god knows how many gearboxes I hold on my shoulders in that channel .

Very cool! The ambience has to be palpable.

I spent many, many days in my grandfather's sharpening shop, filled with mysterious and ancient tools and machines. It resembled some areas of your shop, albeit a bit more arranged, typically. LOL The corners with all the old, saved stuff were incredible, like in your space. I first fed my love for knives learning how to sharpen knives on stones in that shop, and also hatchets, axes, scythes, etc on a 4"x36" pedal-powered wet wheel.
Those memories invest us and never leave. I can smell that shop today, and the smell of steel being filed off saws by the machines he designed and built. He also built his own lathe for sharpening old reel-type lawnmower blades. That was so mysterious, indexing itself back and forth as it sharpened those curved blades was fascinating.

He was a brilliant man, but hated the system and led a simple life away from the crap. He was also an extraordinarliy ornery curmudgeon who apparently treated one person with love and gentleness always - his only grandson. I loved that man immensely and hold him close to my heart to this day. My mother, who suffered growing up under his stern old-world Slovenian ways, used to think she was berating me when she'd say at her most angry, "You are the very same a$$hiole as your grandfather."

Backfired. Damn, that made me proud. :)

Thanks, again, for the tour, Natlek. I really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
Last night i grind this one .Shallow hollow grind .Steel is 52100 , 3.5 mm thick and 0.25- 0.30 behind edge .I don t understand why there is not that much knives grind that way ? Much easier to grind , much less heat , belt would last much longer , better cutter .....endless advantage ?
That looks crazy fine even for used 40. Nice grind.

I am really liking this geometry too. I made this blade from 3.4 mm AEB-L. Hollow on 500 mm wheel to 0.25 mm thick then convexed that last part with Scotchbrite belt to 0.15 mm before sharpening 17 degrees per side 1200 grit. Deburr on felt wheel. Tried on some magazine paper. Not extreme but strong & slicy enough.

Put a handle on the blade above. First time using Suretouch by Norplex. I can't say I really enjoyed working with it, but it makes a damn good grip for sure. I finished with a 3M Microfine pad. I'm not taking this to the buffer. G10 pins and stainless tubing. Oal 210 mm.

Black Ninja Zombie Slicer?

n2EeMok.jpg
jY1bUGH.jpg
aBdm2WE.jpg

Last edited:

Crazy, I love your grinder table, but I wonder how you find anything in that shop!? 😁

Cleaned this one up a little bit this morning before going to work ( roofing). I try to get a higher finish on carbon steel to help with rust prevention. Plus I like to go to a higher grit and then work my way back down to the target finish. This one is pretty thin at the edge but I send them to Peter's and I have sent them some pretty thin stuff with no problems.
IMG_20210618_115322210~4.jpgIMG_20210618_115301369~3.jpg

Back