What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

Here’s one of my latest projects I’m finishing up. It has an 8670 carbon steel blade, Cocobolo Scales, green liners, and brass pins.
B968-DE13-2-B78-491-B-B419-CB84-AC48-D0-FC.jpg

Just about to finish up this "lesta-less" 9oz hot waxed backsewn. Sheathing the knife is such a pleasure without the wooden insert to hinder it's acceptance. Been working on a new treatment for the mottled look, really happy with the way it's coming along.

View attachment 1644023
View attachment 1644024
View attachment 1644025
View attachment 1644026
View attachment 1644027
View attachment 1644028
That is some top notch leather work! Well done. Beautiful knife too of course.

That is some top notch leather work! Well done. Beautiful knife too of course.

Thanks!

They are definitely interesting to make, the thicker leather is difficult to work with vs. traditional scandi sheaths (with thin leather and wooden inserts). I absolutely love the scandi style sheaths but actually using them in the field is a bit impractical by my experience, sheathing and un-sheathing the knife can be a bit of a pain.. snagging the tip of your blade on the lesta and such, where as this style you can use one handed and it sheaths beautifully due to a much improved clearance.

malanika1.jpg
malanika2.jpg
4rzz.jpg
malanika3.jpg
1rzz.jpg

g905Zh5.jpg

Carbon fiber fabric and pulled blue burlap. Each slab is over 3" wide, 6" long and over 1/2" thick. Should be able to get a set of scales and a set of bolsters out of each slab I think. Going to try to spin up a knife to put these on this coming week to see how they shape out!

Finally I finished this one ............52100 , hollow. 3 1/2 inch blade , total 8 inch long
kCIURtS.jpg

sm2zMvU.jpg

Total working time on this thin one was 35 min .Very hard to find steel ..........T3 , has more Carbon and Vanadium then T1 . I like it !
9rZjrjY.jpg

DxcyQiv.jpg

6supWqy.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a new Gaucho finished and sent to the customer. In these pics it's not 100%, pins aren't flush. I usually go with Elk antler but this fine forum member requested Osage Orange and lots of copper as the main elements.21-32 1.jpg21-32 2.jpg21-32 3.jpgDuring the build I felt the front Ironwood spacer looked out of balance with the rest and was gonna replace it with a strip of osage for continuity but he suggested splitting the Osage and inserting another ironwood spacer and it worked out just fine!

I'm loving these puukko's. They are definitely on my list to make for myself but got others I want to get done first

Back