What's going on in your shop? Show us whats going on, and talk a bit about your work!

lol
ovapaQl.png

Magnacut tip for other makers:
6C70A364-0A1C-4D6E-8F38-515C0AACB832.jpeg
If you do a little reading, there are
pages of information about this
steel and I find everything from
Larrin Thomas to be true. So I'll
skip repeating anything he says. I
have made quite a few knives out
of this steel and here is a tip. Heat
treating according to
recommendations is usually spot
on and hunting style blades are a
piece of cake. Long and thin chef
knives get a bit trickier to keep
perfectly straight. What me and
@robmniche discovered is that
leaving the blade in the quench
plates longer than usual keeps
them straight. Set a timer for 5min
and you'll mitigate some
headaches. Cryo treat immediately.
The knife in the picture is at 63
HRC and is straight as a fine laser
beam! If you have any other tips, please share your experiences. 🙏🏻

This is a slightly different post - but I thought I would put it out there in case anyone wanted/gets inspiration from it. I (of course) am on the mailing list for Japanesechefsknives.com, and got a mailing today re their "black friday" sales. Along the way was a link to a Yanagiba that has, or so I think, a really striking Wa handle. Desert ironwood with brass spacers and a corian endcap. I would not have thought of using desert ironwood in a Wa handle, but think it is really striking. Likewise, I would not have thought of using corian in the stack up - but think it is a material worth considering (I dont really like this white one, but corian comes in many different colors, and should be pretty machineable. Just food for thought.....
1638206653825.png

You have good taste in your handle materials I never would have thought of putting blue in there with the brass but I think it looks very striking and I do like the white corian! The single biggest thing that I struggle with the most is stacking spacers and choosing colors and line up for spacers

Im gonna do desert ironwood in a frame handle with a black g10 frame and brass hardware,at first I thought it would look cool with thin orange liners and that orange spacer but now I don't know...now I'm thinking of ivory liners and ivory and brown burlap spacers

Got rid of the dumb orange spacer!View attachment 1692355
Orange spacers can look really good, but they need to be in context. A wood with nice orange flecks would be mint. What you have there it would have been to dominant IMO as the tones are more soft, the Micarta will look great.

Just finished the below knife for my old boys birthday, the orange pops and suits the dark flecky timber
g2MBBga.jpg

Mainly a stock removal maker, but bought a press recently, watched some videos and attempted my first pattern welded billet and hammered this one out. Also bought a Gorton pantograph ($100). Again watched some youtube videos to fix it up and used it to cut some abalone inlays for the handle. Might try something easier for my second billet and try to learn integrals.

Last edited:
Mainly a stock removal maker, but bought a press recently, watched some videos and attempted my first pattern welded billet and hammered this one out. Also bought a Gorton pantograph ($100). Again watched some youtube videos to fix it up and used it to cut some abalone inlays for the handle. Might try something easier for my second billet and try to learn integrals.

Beautiful

Back