What's going on...

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Here's what I'm up to today plus a quick shop tour.

[video=youtube_share;7n7v-wUiYT4]http://youtu.be/7n7v-wUiYT4[/video]

If you don't have high speed internet there are a couple of Ti prybars in progress, a couple of titanium marlinspike prototypes I'm finishing up, 3 Ti neckers and 2 5160 kiridashis for some really old orders and a trifecta of big choppers!

yea, they're very similar in toughness and wear resistance, all depends on the HT. I'm wondering if the 52100 would be harder to polish compared 5160. You know, for um...bling. Don't know where I'm going with this actually, unless I carry a Fairly Chopper around as a piece of jewelry.

Hey man those spikes look good! What are the dimensions of the two sections of the shank? I couldn't tell, but is there any jimping on the handle? Think about using them with cold, gloved hands.

-Xander

Daniel,

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. For your next video, I want to hear some "Iron Maiden" music in the background...:D:D

....but had to go back & replay the part about the 'spikes & 'bars!

(has DEFINITELY brightened my workday!)

Filled to the top with belts, water bottles and Dr.Pepper cans. :D

031rzg.jpg

yea, they're very similar in toughness and wear resistance, all depends on the HT. I'm wondering if the 52100 would be harder to polish compared 5160. You know, for um...bling. Don't know where I'm going with this actually, unless I carry a Fairly Chopper around as a piece of jewelry.

Every time I come around your city Bling Bling... :D

I just looked at an assay of 52100 and it looks like it should probably polish up about the same as the 5160, I'd just have to try it. :D It is some quality steel for sure!

I could make a big chopper for maximum bling and you can rock it neck knife style. You could be like the Flava-flav of neck knife dudes with some knife bling... or would it be Mr.T... :D :D :D

Hey man those spikes look good! What are the dimensions of the two sections of the shank? I couldn't tell, but is there any jimping on the handle? Think about using them with cold, gloved hands.

-Xander

I'd have to measure it but probably around 1/4"-1/3"... I'll try to get some decent photos with something for scale and measure 'em up.

No jimping but the orange peel texture and craters give it a decent grip. The edges are well rounded in most spots for even more grip.

I learned my lesson on jimping Ti, that stuff will just eat a file up. :D

Daniel,

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. For your next video, I want to hear some "Iron Maiden" music in the background...:D:D

Yeah the J.J. Cale was a little too mellow for my knife style, right... :D next time I will make up for it with some all out metal I promise! :D :D :D

my kinda guy blaze and gator belts!!! Makes some nice steel wool lmao

heh heh... All I really use is the Blaze and Gators, the other belts were just to try out but nothing compares to the Blaze/Gator combo in my opinion.

I had a bunch of nearly worn out belts and this Titanium will take 'em down to the backing real fast.

....but had to go back & replay the part about the 'spikes & 'bars!

(has DEFINITELY brightened my workday!)

Nice! I just ground the bevel on to those prybars and cleaned up the tips of those marlin spikes with some scotchbrite belts. They are looking good!

Pictures,kind Sir! for it's off to work I go.

And what kinda belts are those that are gray & look like they're a file pattern?

Do they make those to fit my $40 WaltDisneyHarborFreight 1" X 30" SpecialToenailTrimmer?

I'll bet those belts would sharpen the farm tools!

~Gnarly

And what kinda belts are those that are gray & look like they're a file pattern?

Do they make those to fit my $40 WaltDisneyHarborFreight 1" X 30" SpecialToenailTrimmer?

~Gnarly

Those are "Gator" Belts or 3m trizact belts. Gator is what everyone calls them to differentiate them from the other type of smooth patterned trizact belt.

They are great belts but for finishing only, I prefer ceramic blaze belts for metal removal.

I'll try too get you some pics...

here are some great 1x30 belts
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/abrasives-abrasive-belts-c-94_42.html

I tried searching for the gator belts but they are elusive, maybe true grit has them.

Last edited:

~Gnarly

I found 'em... good price too! Gator belts in 1x30 ---> http://www.trugrit.com/belts1.htm

Back