What's going on...

Those are "Gator" Belts or 3m trizact belts. Gator is what everyone calls them to differentiate them from the other type of smooth patterned trizact belt.

They are great belts but for finishing only, I prefer ceramic blaze belts for metal removal.

I'll try too get you some pics...

here are some great 1x30 belts
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/abrasives-abrasive-belts-c-94_42.html

I tried searching for the gator belts but they are elusive, maybe true grit has them.

Those marlin spikes were looking pretty cool. I couldn't agree more on the preference of ceramic for stock removal. Any recommendations on good ceramic belts? I've been using Red Label belts and they're good, but I'm not married to the brand. If I can get decent quality for even better prices I'll switch.

Those marlin spikes were looking pretty cool. I couldn't agree more on the preference of ceramic for stock removal. Any recommendations on good ceramic belts? I've been using Red Label belts and they're good, but I'm not married to the brand. If I can get decent quality for even better prices I'll switch.

I'm very particular on belts, I really like using VSM belts, the more expensive ones. They cut really cleanly and are cheap too. I just cleaned up 366 profiles with one 120 belt at full tilt. Pops has them, I'll look up the ones I use. They are brighter red than the cheaper ones...

Purple Bora belts at supergrit.com are also tops and budget too. The 24 grit is my secret weapon.

For finishing I really only use 3M gator, pricey but well worth it.

Sharpening - supergrit 220 ceramic followed by 3M trizact 1200 grit (15u) then a 2x72 leather belt. 4000+ knives sharpened with the one leather belt!

Thank you!

Back