What's happening in the David Mary Custom shop?

Not yet sir.

Hmmmm...
Those 2 at the top of the pic look interesting.
What would the finished blade length on them be, and how thick is the blade?

1/8" stock thickness, and yes to your other question. I'll shoot you a PM.

Also, up to 4" cutting edge length, but I like doing these with 3 1/4", which gives the option of holding it choked up with the finger outside the ring as well.

Morning:

Cut out new blade shapes from 8670 for a new order, which included some of these.

IMG_3283.JPG
IMG_3282.JPG
There were two others as well, which Andy showed up this afternoon before I could snap pics of - in fact I had literally just countersunk the holes when he showed up. One is a vicious "little" hidden tang EDC Bowie, and the other was traced from this.

IMG_3295.JPG

Although I can't remember the tip profile I gave it. I think I left it square.

He also dropped these back off to me:

IMG_3285.JPG

Not long after the mailman showed up to drop off this, which I'm very relieved to have:

IMG_3284.JPG

After that I performed some nice meditative grinding.

IMG_3293.JPG

I think I'll give the neighborhood a rest from tool noise the rest of the evening.

I found a domestic source for burlap Micarta at a price I can afford, and today I was surprised at how easy it was to work with. I definitely plan to make more burlap handled knives. Burlap will help me build a more traditional looking side of my repertoire as well.

I found a domestic source for burlap Micarta at a price I can afford, and today I was surprised at how easy it was to work with. I definitely plan to make more burlap handled knives. Burlap will help me build a more traditional looking side of my repertoire as well.

Micarta is my probably my favorite handle material. I've used and carried knives with linen, canvas, and whatever random unspecified stuff that ends up in knives from Kizer and WE. I have a Petrified Fish knife in Micarta that specifies "flax" but that might be a quirk of translation. I've been meaning try things out at different ends of the spectrum with paper or burlap.

A Barax might be just the ticket for trying burlap. LMK the next time you do a run in LC200N.

Micarta is my probably my favorite handle material. I've used and carried knives with linen, canvas, and whatever random unspecified stuff that ends up in knives from Kizer and WE. I have a Petrified Fish knife in Micarta that specifies "flax" but that might be a quirk of translation. I've been meaning try things out at different ends of the spectrum with paper or burlap.

A Barax might be just the ticket for trying burlap. LMK the next time you do a run in LC200N.

I bet they mean flax.
Probably fibers?

Years ago I went shopping for flooring. I wanted linoleum. Like your great grandparents would of had.... All the sales people showed me was Vinyl.
They thought I was crazy.

They didn't know there was a difference?
Actual linoleum is a more natural product, less off gassing.
Apparently it's made with FLAX.
Good stuff.

..........back from heat treat?

🤔🤔🤔

.092 AEB-L, which has already shipped from Jarod and is in transit, now back from heat treat as well

These are for an order:
IMG_3367.JPG

These are for an order (the Khukri was from an earlier order and is certainly NOT .092! but shipped separately)
IMG_3368.JPG

And these are my investment blanks. I can turn each one into anything I want from a couple of EDC knives, up to an 8 1/2" chef knife. Probably be a while until I start anything to do with these, as I have to complete the other orders first. But before then, anyone is welcome to email or PM me and stake a claim on one finished according to your preferences, and I'll give you a quote, as well as set it aside so you get first crack at it. No deposit or strict commitment required, purely ROFR (i.e. right of first refusal, the model commonly recommended by experienced makers, and the model I hope to transition to as fully as possible).
IMG_3369.JPG

Last edited:

Be aware LC200N is expensive, and a knife the size of a Barax will be costly. I recommend 1/8" thick stock for it, as it will be strong and hit very hard, but be notably less costly than one in a thicker stock. I certainly will let you know when I get another run set up my friend, though I don't know when I will be able to afford to. I have done three runs so far, and they wouldn't have been possible without generous and trusting individuals willing to put down deposits, but as I mentioned I am trying to get away from this practice, not that it is intrinsically wrong or anything, but I want to limit risk for myself and my customers, and this seems to be the way to do it (i.e. funding runs out of my earnings, rather than my potential future earnings).

Chronovore Chronovore

Just looked it up quick, the steel alone for one Barax in LC200N at 1/8" thick will cost over $150. Add to that handle material, shipping, heat treatment, labor. The knife would end up costing probably $500+. I would go with AEB-L instead, as it's tougher, stainless enough, and the steel price is a fraction of the cost. For example, I can get a Barax sized piece of AEB-L for $28 before shipping, which would allow me to keep the price lower, and you could use it that much harder. Unless you really want an LC200N Barax, in which case I am all in if you are.

Chronovore Chronovore

Just looked it up quick, the steel alone for one Barax in LC200N at 1/8" thick will cost over $150. Add to that handle material, shipping, heat treatment, labor. The knife would end up costing probably $500+. I would go with AEB-L instead, as it's tougher, stainless enough, and the steel price is a fraction of the cost. For example, I can get a Barax sized piece of AEB-L for $28 before shipping, which would allow me to keep the price lower, and you could use it that much harder. Unless you really want an LC200N Barax, in which case I am all in if you are.
AEB-L for the Win!!!

Back