What's happening in the David Mary Custom shop?

I was going to ask you how you did your sheaths......I figured you had a "fancy press".....haha I Stand on mine. (but i'm only doing 1 at a time)

your sheaths are some of the most fitted/tightest I've had from the makers here on BF.....
(some makers don't put any effort in their sheaths/which is a shame) (not naming names)

so whatever you are doing, keep It up. :D

This is how I've done it in the past.... Plywood with a foam layer inside to create a 'sandwich'. A hinge on one side, and three clamps on the other sides.

6.jpg

Smaller scale, nicer shop lol

I'll be posting some tough and thin 8670 EDC sized slicers with Micarta and liners, the ones you've seen me working on this week. I had ten in mind, but two of them have already been claimed before they were even finished. I am making the sheaths for the last of them now, and once they are sharpened up, I'll get some photos taken and try to get them up in the exchange before dinner tonight.

I've announced a new run of 15N20. My first run was in 3/32" or .093", and this new run is .140". It's going to be completely hand made with no laser, plasma or waterjet cutting. Andy will heat treat them.

When I first moved in, the landlady had a deal with a neighbour to snowblow the driveway, so it was never part of my rental agreement. After a while that deal seemed to dissolve, so I have volunteered my services, at no charge.

Here's how it looked when I started today:
IMG_4634.JPG

And here is 45 minutes later:
IMG_4635.JPG

With a shovel and a T-shirt. The lady next door came back from walking her dog and asked if I had a winter coat, and I said yes, but only for when I'm cold. A job like this one I would have been sweating like crazy. And then after I finished making the driveway accessible, mostly with my mailman in mind, I got a call from him saying he wouldn't be by to pick up today.... not until tomorrow. 🤣 Oh well, it had to be done, regardless.

There was another neighbour down the road using his snowblower on an equal sized driveway when I first got out there to get started. He was still working away at it when I finished. 😴

Are all of those 8670 blanks spoken for? I know there's a Prevail with my name on it, and a Godzilla Smatchet in my near future...

These are 15N20, and .140". If you are ready to work up a Godzilla Smatchet design togther, PM me. I should be able to order a juicy 1/4" 8670 billet shortly.

Ended up working inside today. My apartment has been gradually building up clutter, with found cardboard, and saved USAKnifemaker boxes, etc, which were starting to take up useful space. So in order to help me to refocus for the coming AEB-L commissions, I thought it an opportune time to do some knife testing, as well as build some boxes ahead of time. This way my apartment will be a little more comfortable, which I am sure will translate into lower stress, and contribute to getting in the right zone for grinding the incoming AEB-L and making nice handles and sheaths.

At one point I went out and had a look and saw the we had a round two of snowfall, so that was another fifteen minutes.

IMG_4644.JPG

Back