What's happening in the David Mary Custom shop?

And soon this one will be as well. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe Thursday. This one uses my layered hidden tang method. The Gorilla Glue white expands and acts as a shock absorber. The outer scales are all black Suretouch, my first build to use it. The liners are camo G10 material I have had a surplus of over the past couple years since the original Sitrep run. This tanto is going to be crazy fast for its 1/4" blade stock.

IMG_4682.JPG

Here is the first glue expansion from when I attached the tang housing, liner and scale together:
IMG_4679.JPG

I since cleaned it all up, before final assembly and glue up, but it serves to illustrate what you won't be able to see when the knife is finished, namely how the glue expands to fill gaps. And the image above is with only the thin layer of glue required to bond two surfaces. I cut all that out, and cleaned up the residue at the sink with my necker and a sanding sponge, and to get ready for inserting the tang, pins, and other scale for final clamping, I loaded up the tang channel with glue, so there will be a void free sheath of impact resistant foam to soak up force. I'm very excited about this knife.

If the balance comes out too blade heavy, I'm going to look at possibly dropping the point, or swedging or both.

I hate wet snow, that’s all we get in Western Washington. Weighs a fricking ton. We got so much a couple weeks ago I had to shovel it off the top of my trailer, and I did literally almost have a heart attack 😔.

On another note, I’m going to be carrying this new wharnie for a couple or few weeks and really try to test it out! It really is an awesome work knife.

T5eGNEv.jpg

I hate wet snow, that’s all we get in Western Washington. Weighs a fricking ton. We got so much a couple weeks ago I had to shovel it off the top of my trailer, and I did literally almost have a heart attack 😔.

On another note, I’m going to be carrying this new wharnie for a couple or few weeks and really try to test it out! It really is an awesome work knife.

T5eGNEv.jpg
Use it Hard and let us know.... :D
The logo really Pops on that steel.......
i haven't seen too many so maybe it's the lighting or a coincidence?

I use electrolyte #94 to etch my Maker's Mark on all my blades and regrinds. It seems to work best on LC200N, MagnaCut, 420, 8Cr13Mov, and 9Cr18Mov. It comes out legibly, but with some artifacts on 8670, 1084 and 15N20. I can get it to comeout perfectly on AEB-L, and sometimes it has artifacts. I think I am getting better at making it look good on the carbon steels though.

A Canadian Belt Knife design. It was supposed to be sabervex, but I found the need to grind it full height to remove a very noticeable pit. This may result in a do-over in a few weeks, depending on the gentleman's thoughts.

IMG_4701.JPG
IMG_4699.JPG

The tanto found its balance, which includes not only a more tapered blade profile, but a subtly reprofiled handle as well. I like the knife much better now.

IMG_4694.PNG
IMG_4696.PNG
IMG_4698.PNG
IMG_4697.PNG

Also working on the sheath for the red handled knife which sold last night, and did a sheath for a machete I have here going to a neighbour, who came by to watch it being made.

Could we see our raw babies before you make them all Purdy? haha

It's been soooooo long since we last seen them (drawings) 😂
*tried posting in the their post, but it was locked

Back