What's happening in the David Mary Custom shop?

Ever wonder why I don't work in the shop after hours?

EDC chief

EDChef. :thumbsup:

And thank you for the kind words. I'd love to see how it looks in its new sheath once you get it back! If only I had a photo thread. ;)

EDChef. :thumbsup:

And thank you for the kind words. I'd love to see how it looks in its new sheath once you get it back! If only I had a photo thread. ;)
At least I’m not giving you a hard time about a makers make. 😎
Yes on the photo thread, I’ve got a few to add.

I never would have bought this. It's a lot of things I don't like in a design.

IMG_2236.JPG

But I did buy a beat up old Cold Steel Code 4 because I would like to include it in my reblade project, along with two other knives I own, the Tanto XL Voyager and Spyderco Resilience. I got both of those here on the Knife Exchange for a good price. And this knife above came with the Code 4.

Eafengrow. I looked it up and it seemed to be decent. I wouldn't go for a Stridery looking knife normally. But this thing has a comfortable handle, good action, sturdy but performance oriented grind, great lock-up, and the most ingenious thumb stud I have ever seen. It is designed with a sort of knurled hexagonal pyramid shape. It disperses surface area so well and so gradually that the thumb can overcome the strong detent without the slightest discomfort. But the way my hand wants to use it requires the flipper out of the way.

When I get around to it, my preferences will be realized within a few minutes work, consisting of flipper delete, and round few corners.

I wish they had started the backspacer a little farther back so we'd have more potential edge length.

I wish it had tip down.

I'll probably change the handle shape some to compensate for the loss of slide forward protection from the flipper delete.

I might get aggressive some day and even regrind it.

It's a really interesting knife, and quite light for its size, with lots of potential forms awaiting it. I'm thankful to receive such a wonderful gift!

I looked again and that backspacer comment was out to lunch.

Eafengrow. I looked it up and it seemed to be decent...

Eafengrow is basically a rebrander that sells various knives under their own brand. The concern is that they've gotten nailed several times for false steel stamps. A lot of their "D2" is either 8Cr13 or 5Cr15. This eventually led to a controversy in which Eafengrow blamed it on someone else and promised that it would never happen again. Then it happened again.

The exception is the CH knives sold through Eafengrow. Those seem to be the real deal and retain their original branding. Eafengrow seems to have been acting as their Amazon distributor.

BTW, here is a link to LTK's spreadsheet with both PMI and hardness numbers for various knives.

So it's basically like owning a Ganzo. Hmm... Well I was really surprised by it overall. It's actually quite nice, aside from being a weird design. I took about ten minutes last night to make some adjustments and of course remove the flipper tab.

It has its own special tool so how am I supposed to open it up, I thought. Like this?

IMG_2281.JPG

But no, it turns out the tool and hardware only require thumb pressure on the opposite side hardware to keep from spinning. But it didn't hurt to add some grip to the tool.

IMG_2283.JPG
IMG_2282.JPG
IMG_2280.JPG
IMG_2279.JPG

Next I'm going to remove this ridiculous fang that wants to bite me every time I close the knife. The one I marked in Sharpie, below, just next to the stop pin. That will open up the finger choil so a whole adult finger can fit in there and you're not poking yourself with a sharp protrusion(!!!).

IMG_2286.JPG

So what I said yesterday about moving the backspacer, instead I think the design just needs the stop pin to come forward so we can increase the overall edge length.

It wasn't sharp, but sharpened up easily enough on the SharpMaker. Is it D2? Is it 8Cr13MoV? I don't know. Either one works for me.

So it's basically like owning a Ganzo. Hmm...

Ganzo generally uses the steels that they claim. All of their D2 knives with original designs have tested as D2. All but one of their... "inspired by" knives in 440C have tested as 440C. One of the older models tested as 8Cr13Mov but it is hard to know if that was a substitution or a general practice for that model. While that isn't great, I generally trust their D2 to be D2 and they seem to run it at decent hardness. Performance for Ganzo's D2 seems to be on the better side of average for Chinese D2. In a Super Steel Steve test, it out-cut a knife from Steel Will.

Meanwhile, Eafengrow's self-branded knives have overwhelmingly carried false steel stamps. The gap between D2 and 8Cr13Mov is wider. Forget about 5Cr15! With that kind of reputation, I won't even order one of the legitimate CH knives through them.

Back