What's happening in the David Mary Custom shop?

I just meant the designs seemed to test as Spyderco and Benchmade, at least originally. I don't know what they are up to now. I bought one once. Before my thinking was right about the situation. I modded it a bit, and it cuts really well. I have given it away to someone with the admonition to show it no mercy.

This is a MagnaCut blank I had after the commissions and it has been claimed and custom requests made to change it. It is to be an EDC knife/sharpened prybar for this gentleman, with a slim but grippy 1/2" thick black G10 handle. Note how thin it starts behind the edge and then how the grind angle changes in a sweep until it comes to a bulldozer tip.

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2541.JPG
IMG_2542.JPG
IMG_2543.JPG

IMG_2536.JPG

Also, I have been doing some research and making calls to try and find a heat treatment alternative until Jarod is open to new orders again. I have some promising leads, and it might even look like more LC200N in my future. But this is speculative still.

I found a good deal on a used Code 4, which I bought to eventually be a part of the reblade project. But I have also modded it to suit me, though there are a few things left to do to it yet.

IMG_2587.JPG
IMG_2588.JPG
IMG_2589.JPG
IMG_2590.JPG
IMG_2591.JPG
IMG_2592.JPG
IMG_2593.JPG
IMG_2595.JPG
IMG_2596.JPG
IMG_2599.JPG

Yessir, it is this:

Or my attempt at one anyway.
Looks good from here. To me, this seems like it would be a challenging blade shape to grind and from. But, I don't make knives, so fairly ignorant about the actual crafting of any knife blade, smatchet or otherwise.

This knife, if it is the one you are asking about, which I have just come back from shipping, is MagnaCut, black linen micarta, white G10 liners and spacers, black and red layered linen micarta, and brass tubes. And I have better pics, now that I have replaced and repositioned one of the dead lights in my light box, though I am still no photographer, by any stretch.

IMG_2656.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG
IMG_2659.JPG
IMG_2660.JPG
IMG_2661.JPG
IMG_2662.JPG
IMG_2663.JPG
IMG_2664.JPG
IMG_2666.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG

Monday was handle day, all day. What we have here are a chopper in 8670 (sold), a Hybrid Nessmuck in 8670 (spf), a Prevail XL in 8670 and Suretouch (available), a Prevail in AEB-L and Suretouch (available), a hunter in 8670 (spf), and the first ever EDChef XL (spf). And remember, they are only ugly because they are not quiiiiite finished.... Particularly the Hybrid Nessmuck and the two Prevails still need to have some texture applied to their handles, and a bit of hand sanding on the rest of the handles. And then maker's mark added and sheaths (which I can have done by tomorrow afternoon), and these will be ready to go.

I am no longer walking to the post office any more, and will be having Canada Post pick up my parcels once per week, so these will ship either Thursday or Friday.

I will try to remember to post finished pics as well once they are done. Thanks for looking!

IMG_2784.JPG

Good morning, afternoon or evening, wherever you may be. It was a slow day in the actual shop today. I'm still on track for Friday though. I had to dedicate an unexpectedly large amount of time to figuring out a printer (I have never owned one myself believe it or not). The thing didn't even come with it's own cable to connect to the PC, so I had to make a double trip. But I need it for my "new normal" of requesting a weekly Canada Post pickup. And sorting out my online account for that was fun as well. Hopefully once I get rolling this will be a little more economical and efficient for shipping, leaving me more time and resources for making. Time will tell.

So I got the rest of the knives and a couple others that I've been putting of etched, and all the sheath prep is set. On of my production limiting factors is the balance I am trying to strike between getting stuff done, and being courteous to the neighbours. I have realized over the three years I have been here that sound travels like crazy due to how everything here is build and spaced. My "home occupation" is legal according to the bylaws here, and my friend on the police service doesn't think there are hours restrictions on time of day I can do it, but I do try to avoid certain days and times, though I don't always depending on my itinerary.

For example, these sheaths will take me a few hours, but because tomorrow is a feast day, and now it's dinner time, I am going to leave the sheaths for Thursday. That way I can send out all the invoices Thursday when all is done, and on the same day request pickup from Canada Post for the next day.

This is my first time trying it out like this, so I just wanted to mention it here with my expression of hope that it goes as smoothly as possible.

IMG_2802.JPG
IMG_2803.jpg

Back