What's happening in the shop?

woodysone

Gold Member
David, thank you very much for this WIP thread. Your work has evolved quickly, really like that nothing has hindered your willingness to try something new. Wish I could have gotten in on that last batch of super steel but I’m sure there will another run. Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

David Mary

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Got MagnaCut blanks packaged up and shipped off for heat treatment today, and then finished a wharncliffe ringer commission in AEB-L and desert ironwood today. I learned three things, having never works with this wood before: 1) I can't tell the difference in looks between it and bocote, 2) it is harder to work than bocote, and 3) it absolutely stinks! Bocote, on the other hand, smells quite nice when being worked.

IMG_0698.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG

David Mary

Today I was working on a pet project, my AEB-L rebladed Spyderco Resilience. I gave it new scales as well.

IMG_0907.JPG
IMG_0905.JPG
HYJL8079.jpg
IMG_0914.JPG

On Saturday visited a friend in my hometown, and a collected a knife I collaborated on with a him about five years ago. At the time we made it (cut from a big sawmill blade) we were not as experienced, and the knife was completely wrong. It had almost full stock thickness except for a maybe half inch tall convex bevel. So it was super blade heavy, and the handle was really smooth, so it just didn't make sense as a realistic cutting tool. But here is how it looks now:

IMG_0888.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG
IMG_0891.JPG
IMG_0892.JPG

IMG_0894.JPG

David Mary

I've been posting much of my shop happenings in the for sale area lately, instead of here. Sales seem to be pretty slow on the site last couple weeks, not just for me but overall. I can only afford so many guesses at what will sell before I run out of materials, especially at the prices I offer on the Knife Exchange/Maker's Market section, so before I make anything else for it, here are some examples I have made recently that are still available. I am willing to take offers via PM or email on anything here, as I need to make some cash while I await my blades to come back from heat treatment for the orders I have on the books.

Also, if any of you care to make a convincing case for a design you think would sell quickly, and if I have the material needed in stock (I have a few hardened AEB-L and 15N20 blanks in stock between 3/32" and 1/8" thickness that I can make EDC size knives from, and lots of G10 and micarta, including python Micarta), and it wouldn't conflict with orders I have on the books by say using up handle materials already allocated, then I'll strongly consider making it in the next few days and putting it out there, as I am still waiting for AEB-L and MagnaCut blanks back from heat treatment for the orders I have on the books. I'd also be willing to tell you the price in advance, and tag you or message you at your discretion once it is posted so you get first dibs. It would be sort of a way for you to get on the "rapid turnaround order book" without actually needing to make a formal commitment or make a deposit or anything, plus you would benefit from my Maker's Market pricing, which is almost always less than I feel the knife is worth, in order to be extra competitive. And if you don't buy it, that's fine, I will have only made it because I agree your suggestion would likely sell quickly.

David Mary

I've been sitting on these long enough, so this week I have gotten them all ground to near zero and satin finished, and started handling them yesterday. Three are nearly ready to go, needing only marks, sheaths and sharpening. Hoping to have all six ready before the weekend, plus the non-ringed wharny which will probably be for me. I think I'll narrow down the blade quite a bit on that one before it's done.

IMG_1084.JPG

David Mary

As may be evident by now, I decided to leave the other three ring knives without handles. With slow sales on the forum, and the likelihood they would sit like the others have, I decided to hold off in order to retain some custom flexibility on them rather than consume more materials in a gamble of whether they would sell or not.