What's in the name Jeep? (And the Becker lovers who love them.)

The concept crew have debut'd another interesting rig.
[video=youtube;C7Kcd8c_JQk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Kcd8c_JQk[/video]

I like it!

My 1999 Cherokee has seen better days, I would like to get a Wrangler but my land is 115 miles away and it doesn't get much better fuel mileage than my Cherokee, which gets costly if I go to my land alot.
I have been eyeballing the Renegade and it doesn't seem half bad, the Comache (Renegade pickup) would be nice but I have kids to tow around, so that means there could be the possibility of a Reneagade Trailhawk in my future.

Already posted these in the snark last week but why not. :)

K3uDyFt.jpg

9LSY8SP.jpg

cXTtre0.jpg

8rndYEP.jpg

qfyEz1a.jpg

N7fuFZz.jpg

AASYd8m.jpg

A few pics from today when I took it on a little farm drive and checked the sheep..

92mNHmP.jpg

8NaFA50.jpg

u0LGvMI.jpg

Tg4pbhE.jpg

fKA3m9s.jpg

dZrG8fZ.jpg

CtSAcyw.jpg

7UqTxcE.jpg

3nAnzN8.jpg

jVuXoD9.jpg

lkWjFB4.jpg

Aa6l454.jpg

9wFOYFb.jpg

sOSNPSP.jpg

F6kdUXy.jpg

K9eCND1.jpg

People can say what they want about Liberty's, but they're pretty sweet.

There is no substitute for a Jeep.

I wanted a Jeep but didn't want to drive one around the big city so never got one. My uncle was a journalist and was at the King Ranch event when the first Grand Cherokee was introduced. They drove them all around the ranch and compared them to other brands and models. He told me if I ever drove one I would buy it. I kept away but when my wife had an interest I bought a Grand Cherokee for her. We drove it on many 4WD roads in Colorado and Utah. There were a few roads in Colorado that the rental companies wouldn't let you drive their vehicles on and my wife wouldn't let me drive her Jeep there either, so someday I might have to get my own Jeep just for that reason. I like the 4WD but more for the places you can go and the scenery you can see than just the fun of driving over rough terrain.

We don't have the Jeep anymore but here it is about 12,500 foot elevation near Silverton, CO.

DSC_3557b.jpg

I was at the NY International Auto show in NYC over the weekend. Stood in line for an hour to take a Jeep Rubicon ride over their "Trail-Rated" course. Including an 18' tall 35° incline that it just coasted over like nothing. I took this video on the ride:

[video=youtube;cqO6uIj9tbM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqO6uIj9tbM[/video]

Once upon a time I had a purple Jeep Cherokee and lived in it for a few months. I saved some $$ and had a few adventures. Then someone T-boned me in an intersection. This made me sad but now I have a green Jeep Cherokee. The BK4 is my Jeep knife. I like jeeps and knives. The End. :D

I loved this story. It had a compelling body, and a sad climax but a happy ending. An emotional roller coaster. :thumbup:

Never had a Jeep. Came close a few times. I'll probably get one eventually.

Love Jeeps :).

My father just sold his TJ that he'd had for... 12 years? I have owned a ZJ for 7 years now, but at the moment its needing some work, and isn't being driven (battery is dead from sitting, and needs new tierod ends). Where I live now I can't really use it much. No good trails close, and noone that I know wheels, and after some "exciting" experiences in my youth, I never go wheeling alone.

But, here is my ZJ.

p1020627i_zpsqrmkmpqw.jpg

p1020623ou_zps9pvpf04c.jpg

Killing the old busted radiator.
1003900hl_zpsd1vxltdm.jpg

They have some decent flex with the swaybar disconnected up front.
img1352sd_zpskkj8oljb.jpg

And man, I miss wheeling. Maybe I'll have to get the guts to do the tierod ends (never done that particular job, so feels a bit more daunting)

There is no substitute for a Jeep.

I wanted a Jeep but didn't want to drive one around the big city so never got one. My uncle was a journalist and was at the King Ranch event when the first Grand Cherokee was introduced. They drove them all around the ranch and compared them to other brands and models. He told me if I ever drove one I would buy it. I kept away but when my wife had an interest I bought a Grand Cherokee for her. We drove it on many 4WD roads in Colorado and Utah. There were a few roads in Colorado that the rental companies wouldn't let you drive their vehicles on and my wife wouldn't let me drive her Jeep there either, so someday I might have to get my own Jeep just for that reason. I like the 4WD but more for the places you can go and the scenery you can see than just the fun of driving over rough terrain.

We don't have the Jeep anymore but here it is about 12,500 foot elevation near Silverton, CO.

DSC_3557b.jpg

Beautiful country out there!

Many years ago I rented a couple wranglers and went up to Engineer pass and Cinnamon pass with my girlfriend and came down with my fiance (now my wife). Love the Rocky Mountains, someday we'll have to rent some Jeeps again and go back through those passes.

I recall riding my KZ through Wolf Creek Pass many moons ago, what a glorious ride up to the pass on my way east. The downhill side, not so glorious! It was raining, I got stuck behind a slow semi-truck and could not pass. Cold, wet, no face shield wipers, good times! :eek:

Yesterday I set up a customer with a Tork-Lift Super Truss 20K hitch with all the bells and whistles to trailer behind his extended camper. Then I set up his trailer to ride behind that with weight distributing bars, got his lights operational, and he was all set to roll his trail-prepped Wrangler on the flat bed trailer. But, without pics, it never happened... :rolleyes:

File photo:-

Was it true that surplus Jeeps could be had for $50.oo after the war?

Not sure of pricing before the 70's, but back then we could order one for $500. Some serious issues in the fine print though. As I recall...
1. The jeeps came in a crate, or crates, disassembled. Engines and trannys were assembled, but not installed.
2. Shipping was NOT included in price. I think that doubled the price immediately.
3, Tires. Over twenty five years old. Add new tires to cost.
4. Gearing. They were not intended as interstate vehicles. They were geared low and I think 55 mph was about wound out.
5. I think I remember that many kits were missing parts. Sold as is with no guarantees, and of course, parts were not readily available and had to be hunted down. Before the internet, and unlimited long distance... this was a chore. As a result, I think the recommended procedure was to buy two kits so you'd likely have all the parts you need for a complete vehicle. I guess you sold whatever you didn't want two of, to the scrapyard. I think back in the day, J.C. Whitney dealt in these things and the replacement/ accessory parts needed.
6. No provisions for a radio, and if I recall correctly, I don't think the electrical system was 12v and had to be converted.
7. Seats generally needed to be recovered. They didn't age well. Seatbelts needed to be added as well as some other modern safety equipment, interior rearview mirror and turn signals I think.

You can do the math. In a day when you could buy a new stripped down vega for a about 2 grand, or a VW thing that was jeep like with removable doors for about 2500, you had to really WANT to drive one of those surplus jeeps. They weren't the steal of a deal they sounded like. One of my earliest examples of, " if it seems too good to be true".

If you'll pardon the drift... I knew a guy with a VW thing in high school. Parked it at the mall with the top down and when he returned, somebody had stolen the doors! He ended up getting doors from the junk yard in two different colors. I saw the vehicle several years later and somebody else was driving it, but the doors never did get painted.lol

image_zpsb53sk6ri.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]Nothing like a brick with a straight six that drinks more gas than a v8. Proud Cherokee owner.

Last edited:
I have always been a toyota fan have have done most of my four wheeling in a Toyota. My '97 Tacoma was wheeled to death so I am currently Yotaless.

Here is a rather old video of my Tacoma that I ran down some pretty rough trails.

After watching this video I realized that if my spotter had had me move a foot to the passenger side I would have made it just fine. This is Black Bear Pass in Telluride, CO well above tree line.

You gotta love fuel injection at these altitudes.

ouray8-30-09088.jpg

Back