What's more important? Take an edge or hold an edge?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Hal, Oct 17, 2020.

1. 000Robert

000Robert Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2020
    I'll take your word for it. All I know is that my Hall's stones would not even scratch the steel. I have a 180X twin boom AmScope. Even looking at it under my microscope I couldn't see a scratch on the edges after sharpening 30 or 40 passes. But it's nothing that my DMT or Wicked Edge stones can't handle.

2. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Your mileage may vary, which means that everyone has different needs and experiences, but there has to be a good balance between the two, I would think. Finding that balance that meets your needs is the journey.

3. E.D.C.

E.D.C. Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2016

Basically how I feel as well.

4. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    What are you whittling?

I've field dressed 3 and peeled 2.5 whitetail deer with Buck's 420HC (using a 110) before it needed stropped to bring the edge back.
    Schrade USA Old Timers with "Schrade +" 440A ("Sharp Finger" and 7OT) would gut 2 and peel about 1.75 whitetail before they needed stropped.
    Very rarely do I need to hit them with a stone.
    I did re-profile to a 10DPS (20 degree inclusive) edge when I got them.
    60 years ago when I was taught to sharpen I was taught 20 degrees inclusive for a knife, 30 to 40 degrees inclusive for a chopping tool - axe/hatchet etc.
    The only thing I've batoned is a wedge and froe. A knife is for cutting, slicing, and whittling; not felling/limbing a tree or splitting firewood. :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Pomsbz likes this.
  5. afishhunter

afishhunter Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2014
    This.

6. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I adore the CPM-3V.

Really good edge retention
    Takes an edge fairly easily
    Good corrosion resisrance
    Excellent toughness

Literally everything I can ask for in a knife.

Ben Dover and 000Robert like this.