Recommendation? What's next?

K.O.D.

Driving the expletive train
Platinum Member
I own four Spydies currently-GB1, Domino, Manix 2 CTS-XHP custom scales, and a Yoji 2.

I'd been looking at a lot of knives, up to about $250.

I've decided instead to get a less expensive knife and custom scales for the Yo2.

I'm on the fence and need help deciding on my next Spydie.

As a whole, I've rotten luck with CPM S30v. However, my Yojimbo has been the exception. Can faith be restored in this steel?

I like the looks of the Ikuchi and Sliverax.

I like flippers, they are easy on the arthritis. However, I like holes as well and a flipper is not necessary.

So I guess I'll list the Spydies I've owned, to give y'all some perspective.

PM2. Didn't quite fit the hand, major chipping issues. My dad borrowed it while I was in the hospital last year, iinda got destroyed. I've considered another one, but in a different steel.

Endura wave
Nilakka
Southard
Native 5 S110V forum
Caly 3
Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189
Jot Singh Khalsa
My brain stopped working, can't find my list.

Anyway, thanks for y'all's help. Oh, not a huge fan of frame locks/metal handles.

The Ikuchi is a sweet little knife with a 3.2” blade and getting back to my Manix2 for my work knife I already miss the Ikuchi. I will purchase the next Ikuchi and maybe @DLTtrading will do a model with red scales and 20CV blade.

The Ikuchi is a sweet little knife with a 3.2” blade and getting back to my Manix2 for my work knife I already miss the Ikuchi. I will purchase the next Ikuchi and maybe @DLTtrading will do a model with red scales and 20CV blade.

Yeah, that would be cool, especially if they did red carbon fiber. How has the S30V been for you? I'm horrendous at sharpening, so I send them out.

I own four Spydies currently-GB1, Domino, Manix 2 CTS-XHP custom scales, and a Yoji 2.

I'd been looking at a lot of knives, up to about $250.

I've decided instead to get a less expensive knife and custom scales for the Yo2.

I'm on the fence and need help deciding on my next Spydie.

As a whole, I've rotten luck with CPM S30v. However, my Yojimbo has been the exception. Can faith be restored in this steel?

I like the looks of the Ikuchi and Sliverax.

I like flippers, they are easy on the arthritis. However, I like holes as well and a flipper is not necessary.

So I guess I'll list the Spydies I've owned, to give y'all some perspective.

PM2. Didn't quite fit the hand, major chipping issues. My dad borrowed it while I was in the hospital last year, iinda got destroyed. I've considered another one, but in a different steel.

Endura wave
Nilakka
Southard
Native 5 S110V forum
Caly 3
Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189
Jot Singh Khalsa
My brain stopped working, can't find my list.

Anyway, thanks for y'all's help. Oh, not a huge fan of frame locks/metal handles.

If you can bag one I highly recommend a Domino. It’s like a more refined Manix framelock. Just try to make sure you get a good example because some are better flippers than others.

You get the great slicy manix shaped blade. Excellent construction and very light weight. It’s not quite as bulky as the manix. The Spyderco lockups tend to be excellent.

The biggest weakness of the design is the thin supper washers the ball bearings roll on. They tend to cup over time. Honestly though you can just pulll those support washers out if they ever cup so badly that the action is effected. The knife works fine without them.

How about some of the new spydercos (not available yet)? Like Native Chief, Police 4 light weight, and Endela. These three are on my to-buy list. Of course this is only if you are not in a hurry.

Lapedog, I already have a Domino, and I do like it.

Sharp_edge, I'm looking to get something something this week.

Advocate.
Whoops. i reread your OP.
Sorry.

The Native Chief is coming at some point.

If I were choosing, I’d hunt down a Hap40 Caly 3. I’ve seen many pass through the exchange for roughly what they sold for new, so unlike certain other sprints, people aren’t pricing them with outter space-like numbers.

If not that, then the Nilakka would be my next choice. Very unusual knife that actually looks amazing to use. It’s a neat piece.

If I were choosing, I’d hunt down a Hap40 Caly 3. I’ve seen many pass through the exchange for roughly what they sold for new, so unlike certain other sprints, people aren’t pricing them with outter space-like numbers.

If not that, then the Nilakka would be my next choice. Very unusual knife that actually looks amazing to use. It’s a neat piece.

Absolutely hated the Nilakka.

I'm about to pull the trigger on either the Ikuchi or sliverax.

So with the Ikuchi being a pre-order, I'm going to probably just buy the sliverax.

Sliverax looks like a nice user. I know you have the GB1, but don’t discount the Gb2. It’s a different knife.

Too expensive, as stated I don't want a frame lock or metal handles. I have enough already, but thanks for the recommendation.
What about the kapara? I want one.

Or maybe a Smock would fit the bill?

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger on the Ikuchi. Thanks again Colorodo!

So with the Ikuchi being a pre-order, I'm going to probably just buy the sliverax.

Given what you already own, it will be interesting to hear what you think about the Ikuchi and, if you buy it as well, the Silverax. I own over 100 Spyders, including the GB1, Domino, Manix, Yojimbo, Ikuchi and Silverax. They are all distinctly different knives.

I've only had the Ikuchi for a couple of days and have only carried it for 1 day, but I already know that I like it. It's a smaller flipper that's suitable for general EDC use that I would group w/the Smock, Positron and Hanan that I also own. However, what appeals most to me about the Ikuchi (as compared w/those knives) is its kwaiken blade, its light weight and the slimness of the handle which also makes it very suitable as a SD weapon.

On the other hand, the only reason I like Silverax is because it just "looks" attractive to me. However, the "feel" of the Silverax in my hand is quite poor, because the design of the handle forces me to grip the knife in a way that is uncomfortable and limiting to me in a way that I do not like being limited. So, while it is a "pretty" knife, it is not a knife that I would want to carry for EDC use.

Therefore, if you've never handled a Silverax before, I suggest you try to do so before you buy one or, if you buy one w/o doing so, just make sure that you can return it, if you decide (like me) that you don't like the way it "feels" in your hand.

Last edited:
Your plain Jane PM2 chipped?
What were you cutting and did you have a high angle on it?

Get a Sprint PM2

Back