Recommendation? What's next?

Stock blade, not even stropped. Mostly desk job type stuff. Opening mail, boxes. It . started getting microchips within a month. About two years ago my dad borrowed it to cut the straps off some cases of printer paper. That did major damage. Made it unusable.

Btw, I'd never bought anything from DLT before, and was surprised to learn it's about 3 1/2 hours from where I live. I'm going up to Dork county, Swissconsin for labor day (was in the hospital for the last family trip) and I'll see if I can get a detour over there.

I’ve done lots of cutting with a couple different PM2’s (s30v and m4) and never had any chipping. That is weird. I know you can chip the blade like any knife if that’s what you’re trying to do and it is a thin grind but I wouldn’t discount the knife because of your experience. It sounds like it could have been some fluke or maybe a bad heat treat from the factory?

I’ve done lots of cutting with a couple different PM2’s (s30v and m4) and never had any chipping. That is weird. I know you can chip the blade like any knife if that’s what you’re trying to do and it is a thin grind but I wouldn’t discount the knife because of your experience. It sounds like it could have been some fluke or maybe a bad heat treat from the factory?

The knives I had issues with were all purchased in 2014, so maybe there were some bad batches of the steel sent out.

As for Ikuchi, I had one and the tip of the blade was EASILY touched when knife was closed. If I ran my finger along frame it would grab the tip and poke a whole in my finger. Blade just did not sit deep enough in handle. That was a deal killer. Would avoid unless you can buy used and have them check for that.

Imo any of the other suggestions would be better.

Back