what's so good about emerson knives

ilovekershaws

Basic Member
I'm thinking of getting a tactical and of all the knife companies out there, I have to say that Kershaw has most of my interest(i do love kershaws...). However, I've heard tons of dudes saying that Emersons were good too so I checked them out. They seem to have fantastic customer service which is great but their knife designs aren't really what I'd expect for $200+ knives. Yeah, the wave feature is cool but I don't think it makes the knife worthwhile. I find the designs to be really simplistic actually. Anyone know why exactly Emerson has such a loyal following? Are they really worth the money?

I find the designs to be really simplistic actually.

That's part of the appeal to me. Simple designs that are easily maintained and customized. The man, his ethics and patriotism and care for his customers. Bob Dozier has the reputation of "Mr. D2". Ernie Emerson is "Mr. 154 CM". EKI produces a 154 CM that wears well and is easily sharpened. The knives are all highly ergonomic. They carry well and the wave is useful. I like Emerson's for the same reason I like 1911 pistols. They fit me and I use them well. I believe the perceived high price is due to demand exceeding supply. If you hunt around and have some patience you can usually find one for 20 to 30 % under MSRP.

well as with a lot of knife companies, its equal parts fact and opinion.

emerson has been around for awhile, and has always had loyal buyers and has been able to expand their business. not too long ago mr. emerson had to move into a larger facility, something that isnt too common for any american business these days, much less a knife company.

but, emersons arent for everyone. youre right, emerson does keep the designs simple. and certainly their are knives in similar price structures and for less that give emerson a run for the money. but the difference between someone just buying knife brand A and being a loyal supporter and even rabid fan of knife brand A is because its just the type of knife that person likes.

when i first started spending real money on knives, i got into emerson. but i also got out of emerson. as a severe knife addict, this has happened a few times(dozens)across the many well known brands.

not too long ago i dug out my NIB commander and decided that while its a darn nice knife, it just wasnt giving me the wow factor that would put it in my pocket. so i made some modifications, purely cosmetic, and kicked myself for not thinking of it years ago. it really is a solid, great knife. i love the commander now so much im considering buying a custom one on the secondary market.

the wave for me is a love hate thing. its a darn fast way to deploy a knife, but, i dont have much need for that kind of speed. on one hand, of course, if you pull your knife out of your pocket, youre doing so because you need to use it. on the other hand, i enjoy pulling it out both to use and to fondle, and its not always preferred to have it snap open. if it really was a huge problem though for me, id just grind the wave off, problem solved.

no one can really tell you if they will be worth your money, thats something you have to decide for yourself.

I had a CQC11 from 2004. Light, ergonomic and easy to sharpen.

I sold it because I liked other knives more and EE is a right wing nutjob. I don't think they're even close to being worth what they cost, even after loving the 11.

They're light, and they have a patent on the wave opener. Aside from that, I'm not particularly impressed with their knives(sold the 3 that I had). However, the mini commander looks like it might be a good value at less than $140. Though I could do without the black tacticool coating.

well as with a lot of knife companies, its equal parts fact and opinion.

emerson has been around for awhile, and has always had loyal buyers and has been able to expand their business. not too long ago mr. emerson had to move into a larger facility, something that isnt too common for any american business these days, much less a knife company.

but, emersons arent for everyone. youre right, emerson does keep the designs simple. and certainly their are knives in similar price structures and for less that give emerson a run for the money. but the difference between someone just buying knife brand A and being a loyal supporter and even rabid fan of knife brand A is because its just the type of knife that person likes.

when i first started spending real money on knives, i got into emerson. but i also got out of emerson. as a severe knife addict, this has happened a few times(dozens)across the many well known brands.

not too long ago i dug out my NIB commander and decided that while its a darn nice knife, it just wasnt giving me the wow factor that would put it in my pocket. so i made some modifications, purely cosmetic, and kicked myself for not thinking of it years ago. it really is a solid, great knife. i love the commander now so much im considering buying a custom one on the secondary market.

the wave for me is a love hate thing. its a darn fast way to deploy a knife, but, i dont have much need for that kind of speed. on one hand, of course, if you pull your knife out of your pocket, youre doing so because you need to use it. on the other hand, i enjoy pulling it out both to use and to fondle, and its not always preferred to have it snap open. if it really was a huge problem though for me, id just grind the wave off, problem solved.

no one can really tell you if they will be worth your money, thats something you have to decide for yourself.

This. :thumbup:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have personally found that they fit my hands really well = ergonomic and feel 'alive'. Their fit and finish is so-so considering the price range, but I have yet to come across a family of folders that speak to hands they way Emerson's do.

If you don't want the wave to deploy the blade just withdraw the knife from your pocket with the spine trailing.

As genius as the wave feature is, Emerson knives aren't for me. The poor quality pivots, fit and finish issues, and the single-bevel edges (even on non-chisel-ground models) makes them not worth the money to me compared to what my money could vet me someplace else. :eek:

Also, Emersons have been known to have issues with weak detents... I quickly got rid of my newly purchased cqc10 after realizing that to keep it from falling open too easily, I would have to tighten the pivot down so hard that the wave became useless... =_=; Having a blade that difficult (or easy) to open wasn't very fun. (If a person wants a solid "wave" knife, try the Spyderco "Emerson Opener", no detent issues on that one, however the blade grind on the endura I'd purchased was just a little too thick for my tastes). I'm happy for people who like their Emersons, however I just couldn't warm up to it for some reason... Then two years after the Emerson, I bought a Kershaw Storm on closeout for only $20... None of the detent/pivot problems, opened satisfyingly smooth every time, made in the USA, Kershaw's customer service and warranty are top notch, and I won't even feel badly using such a fairly priced blade for a (within reason) beater... Buy an Emerson if you really want to see what the ruckus is about, they do have nice profiles and ergonomics. However I always feel like I get a better value for my money with Kershaws and Spydercos, (and Benchmades, too, though they feel a bit expensive by comparison for the fit & finish you're getting on some models)...

Their marketing. That's what's so good. ;| I will not buy another Emerson. I won't rehash why. If you care to, search for my username and "Snubby" and you'll see why. I've bought knives costing a lot less that I'm fully satisfied with.

Actually I do dislike their single bevels.... but I can live with that. If they felt average in yours hands, then yep there are much better knives for the $$.

I own three Emerson knives , a Mini CQC7 part serrated and customized , a full sized CQC7 part serrated and a SARK.

After carrying the full size CQC7 for over a month and using it multiple times daily at work I have come to the conclusion that those particular models are really not made for work related tasks , unless your work consists of ... sometimes unpleasant tasks.
I found the partially serrated chisel grind to not really suit me for what I do but.. it did and most certainly will work in a pinch.
The two CQC7's I own are more suited to self defense , in my opinion than anything else , and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.
Actually I would like to have a stock mini CQC7 for just that purpose , not too many other knives would give that all around comfort level when out walking in the evening with my fiance and our dogs. That tanto point makes the perfect stabber , the blade itself is under 3" so the coppers should not hassle you if it came to that. The handle is very ergonomic. The Wave is the fastest method of knife opening there is , if done correctly.
So there are virtues of owning an Emerson but depending on what you may use it for you might want to choose your model/s wisely.

tostig

The ergonomics are GREAT.
The wave is okay.
The fit and finish is less than great...might be okay depending on what you like.
The steel works fine.
I actually like the pivot Emerson uses.
The chisel grind and/or chisel edge is not as wondrous for my uses, but still cuts stuff.

The emersons I have purchased are ergonomic.
Chisel "bevel" is insanely sharp.
Wave is inovative.
Thumb disk is very easy to use.
Satin finished versions look great.

Could have different steel, although 154cm gets purdy sharp.
Sometimes they weigh more than other folders the same size.
FF is fine on the ones I own.

Emerson along with spyderco are my favorite production companies.

I have Emersons because of their designs. Their designs are one of the best ones for EDC carry: slim, light and good ergos for occational random use. Work well for pocket and IWB carry.

However the Wave feature is the biggest reason I have them. It works really well for me, quick to present.

For heavier work their ergos are not that optimized (the slim handle profile works against it here and making an ergonomic folder handle has proven to be a challenge) and edge geometry is not what I'd call a slicer. I don't exactly love the chisel grind and edge either.

One of their linerlocks wore pretty freakin quick to the far end resulting in warranty repair. No reliability issues in general though. Not a fan of linerlock really...

I'd like other manufacturers develop wave features with more lock, steel and material options. (Kershaw/ZT, Benchmade, Boker, Lionsteel... come on lets get the wave going :) )

Cold Steel wave thingy looks promising but Demko's designs don't get me too excited. Too much finger grooves and abrupt angle changes in handle designs.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting a tactical and of all the knife companies out there, I have to say that Kershaw has most of my interest(i do love kershaws...). However, I've heard tons of dudes saying that Emersons were good too so I checked them out. They seem to have fantastic customer service which is great but their knife designs aren't really what I'd expect for $200+ knives. Yeah, the wave feature is cool but I don't think it makes the knife worthwhile. I find the designs to be really simplistic actually. Anyone know why exactly Emerson has such a loyal following? Are they really worth the money?

Do yourself a favor - and if you are looking at all at the "CQC7" line --- go find the no longer made BENCHMADE CQ editions. Its better made than the Emerson version (even though it's Emerson's design!). The benchmade CQ7 was the first "Quality" knife I had - broke the 100 dollar mark for a knife when I was young. I BEAT THE HELL out of that knife. it came back for more over and over again.

The design could be done better if they simply make a framelock or use a steel insert for the liner(assuming it can be done).

I have Emersons because of their designs. Their designs are one of the best ones for EDC carry: slim, light and good ergos for occational random use. Work well for pocket and IWB carry.

However the Wave feature is the biggest reason I have them. It works really well for me, quick to present.

For heavier work their ergos are not that optimized (the slim handle profile works against it here and making an ergonomic folder handle has proven to be a challenge) and edge geometry is not what I'd call a slicer. I don't exactly love the chisel grind and edge either.

One of their linerlocks wore pretty freakin quick to the far end resulting in warranty repair. No reliability issues in general though. Not a fan of linerlock really...

I'd like other manufacturers develop wave features with more lock, steel and material options. (Kershaw/ZT, Benchmade, Boker, Lionsteel... come on lets get the wave going :) )

Cold Steel wave thingy looks promising but Demko's designs don't get me too excited. Too much finger grooves and abrupt angle changes in handle designs.

Thin handled folders aren't as you said best for long term use, but they do carry flat IWB, but they can tear your hand up under extended use and hard cutting unless you have gloves on.

Some are better than others, but that is what I have found to be true over time.

Some of those complicated cool looking designs will just tear ones hand to pieces if they are used for hard cutting tasks.

Personally I tend to like clean designs on folders and smooth scales, smoother G10 or CF like Spyderco and Strider.

Why an Emerson? Excellent family service that cares; consistently the best ergonomics I have ever run across; solid build; excellent blade grinds on blades that come unbelievably sharp and purpose driven knife designs that never disappoint.

Emerson knives will appeal to those that can recognize the attributes above and not all do see the features, which is fair enough. For me, if things start to go South, it will be an Emerson in my pocket and a Buck on my belt.

Back