Whats the average price for an anvil

A friend on mine told me his grandma has a 125lb anvil out at the farm, what the average price per pound these days. she wants 400$ for it.

3 to 4 bucks a pound. I wouldn't buy it unless the face was good though. my small 85 was 75 bucks and the face was near perfect the 185 was from my uncle and is mint and a peter wright to boot.

Thats a loaded question lol. I have seen them for 2-3 bucks a pound around me... It ireally depends on where you are.

Everything depends on location, size and overall condition. If it's in almost-new condition, you'd expect to pay an almost-new price. Chipped edges and a damaged horn will really drop the value in a heartbeat unless the buyer doesn't know what they're looking at.

For 125-pounder, you've got something that's right in the 'goldilocks zone' of anvils because it's not too small for general smithing, but not so big that it'd be hard to move around. They're very desirable and that can drive the price up a bit. Once you're in the $4/lb range, the smart buyer would start looking at brand new anvils in that same weight class.

Around here thy are crazy pricy. I would jump at a $3/LB anvil. Thy are more like 5-6/LB here. Most local anvils here are 100-125lbs and thy are listed for 500-700. There was a 500-600lb bridge anvil listed for $600 that I'm kicking my self for not snagging.

Last edited:
Here in central Texas, they seem to run $4-5 per pound, with some folks asking more. I just bought a 125# from a guy in Austin for $4 per pound. The name was illegible (maybe when I clean it off...), but he also had two 150# Peter Wright's for the same price. All of them (including my smaller one) had about 90% rebound when I checked them, so I went for the smaller (easier to more) one. It was also in the best shape (horn, edges, and plate) of the three.

For reference, he also had some leg vices for $200. I'm thinking that is probably reasonable since it's local and doesn't have to be shipped. Two of them were inoperable, but looked like it wouldn't take much to fix (threads seemed good)...should have offered him $100 for those, but didn't....maybe next time.

I think the price of used anvils has gotten pretty crazy, and most of the used anvils I have seen need at least some work to clean them up. Don't people realize that you can still buy brand new anvils? You can get a really nice 450lb Gladiator anvil from Nimba Anvils for $5.72 per lb, and Old World Anvils has some that are just over $6 a pound. You can also buy Peddinghaus Anvils from Blacksmithsdepot for a bit over $7 a pound, and Stockhoffsonline has a bunch of smaller, farrier type anvils. (I have no idea what any of these places charge for shipping.) If you want a used anvil, and go the eBay route, the nicest one's I've see invariably come from a place called Matchless Antiques.

Your example price seems about average in the N.W. too.
But ! Do your homework.
Understand the differences between anvils and ASOs.
Just because its old does not mean it was manufactured as a real anvil.

Like anything, deals can be found or stunbled upon.
Usually folks unknowing market values.

It is a fair price if it is in good shape. If the deal falls through, check out the farrier anvils; Cliff Carrol, Emerson, and etc.. I'm recollecting that you can get a new one @ the same weight delivered to your door for a tad bit more.

Around here thy are crazy pricy. I would jump at a $3/LB anvil. Thy are more like 5-6/LB here. Most local anvils here are 100-125lbs and thy are listed for 500-700. There was a 500-600lb bridge anvil listed for $600 that I'm kicking for not snagging.
is
If you still want one there is one for sale on craigslist for Oklahoma City. It’s 300 pounds and about a dollar a pound. Don’t k ow about shipping.

Spencer, Welcome to Shop Talk. If you pull up an old thread, look at the post dates. This thread is two years old.

Also, we frown on "Deal Spotting".

Back