What's the best way to cook rabbit?

How can you not make rabbit taste good. (Hello to fellow Louisiannian above too.) Its like chicken. Cook it thoroughly, and its good.

NOW, the issue is how you clean it. When cleaning rabbit BE VERY CAREFUL not to puncture the gut. Rabbit guts smell worse than any animal I've ever cleaned. By a longshot. Get rid of the waste, clean the hell out of it, and cook it well done. GOOD STUFF.

That parasite you found AC was my cloned brother.

We are take over. All your base are belong to us.

I have eaten thousands of rabbits prepared about anyway you can think of and I am going strong. Those worms that make those awful looking sores and are so disgusting are the larva from the bot fly, they are called warbles or wolves down where I live and they don't hurt the meat at all. If you cook a rabbit on a spit over a fire or on a grill I can pretty much promise it will be tough as jerky.

My favorite recipe is to clean the rabbit, cut into pieces then put it in a pressure cooker, after it starts to rattle leave it for a about 10 to 15 minutes take it out and soak it in buttermilk then roll in seasoned flour and fry in bacon grease. Make gravy from what is left in the pan, biscuits, mashed potatos, and cream style corn will round out the meal.

In the field throw a whole cleaned rabbit in a seasoned pot of water and boil until the meat falls off the bones. Seperate the meat from the bones, drain and add your favorite BBQ sauce and make sandwhichs, or make dumplings and have rabbit and dumplings, add a can, or dehydrated, mixed vegatables and a little flour to thicken and you have rabbit stew, or put a crust on it and rabbit pot pie. BTW frozen pie shells from the store work good for this, thaw one and take it out of the tin for the top crust.

Rabbit, squirrel and coon is good food and I eat it on a regular basis. I feel safer eating this that I prepare myself from the hunting field to the pot than I do some stuff I buy in the market. Bon appetit, Chris

Here in California rabbit season starts July 1. Nearly every rabbit I have killed was in the summer. 100 plus degrees evey day. No hard frosts for a hundred miles around. Never been sick, never shot a sick bunny. Somewhere else there could be a problem, and of course any animal can get sick. Don't shoot the bunnies that act wierd. Cood the good ones like chicken. Rabbit starvation is a factor if you live off bunnies only for at least a month.

The skins here aren't worth a hoot, to warm. Same with coyotes.

Hey all. I too have heard of a nutrional deficiency induced from a diet limited to only "snowshoe hare"...not rabbit. I thought it had something to do with a fat defiecient diet, and snowshoe hare is really lean, so I figured it would be easy to find.

However, I just spent the past 30 minutes trying to find something scientific on the web to support that claim, but no luck. BUT, about 25 years ago my Dad told me it was true - and he never lied to me once. So there you have it - it's a fact, eating only snowshoe hares - will kill you.

For interest, here is a great link to a "northern" recipe book. I'll bet you southern boys have never cooked beluga whale - or seal for that matter.

http://www.nasivvik.ulaval.ca/documentscommuns/Nunavik_NunatsiavutFoodGuide.pdf

Cheers,
D

For interest, here is a great link to a "northern" recipe book. I'll bet you southern boys have never cooked beluga whale - or seal for that matter.

Born and raised in GA so you are right I never have, but I would love to try it. Before I die I want to see the northern lights and eat some eskimo ice cream.

I have eaten my fair share of fatback and cracklins though, I can't see it being much different. :D Chris

Thanks BP....however, I see that it lists "wild rabbit"....hares are not rabbits but that seems silly though, because all my childhood I went "rabbit hunting", "snared rabbits", "killed rabbits with hammers - (think throwing stick)....and all along, they were snowshoe hares.:D

Running Boar...if this is what you're talking about:
http://www.ankn.uaf.edu/NPE/Cultura...ood/098D22F2-9971-4588-9A87-680B4FE88955.html :eek:

I think I'll pass.....it's bad enough eating moose pemmican with a dollop of lard to make it all "juicy"....I think I can hear my arteries screaming already.

D

Edit to add : thanks for the link Running boar...interesting read.

just thinking of that red checkered tablecloth......and what ever was fry'in on the stove...man I miss the south....aaahhh sweet tea.......budweiser

Sounds deelish to me, you like oreos, don't you, that cream filling is crisco and sugar, same with most cake icings.

Fish, fresh berries, sugar and crisco....Whats not to like??? Chris

what's not to like, well for starters:

the boiled and squished fish parts,
the boiled and squished fish juice,
mixed with sugar and crisco!

LOL

Dragonfly,

Regarding the south - you can keep the Bud and the table cloth - I miss that certain nice young lady that called me "shugah" and had a smile that would stop an army.

Regarding the south - you can keep the Bud and the table cloth - I miss that certain nice young lady that called me "shugah" and had a smile that would stop an army.

HAHAHAHA I married her!!!!!!!

I like fish, I like sugar, I like crisco

add some beer and it might be the perfect dish.:D

what's not to like, well for starters:

the boiled and squished fish parts,
the boiled and squished fish juice,
mixed with sugar and crisco!

Hell, my Jewish buddy Rick told me that was gefilte fish.
Same stuff. Hold back on the sugar.

I used to eat rabbit all the time. It's still probably my favorite meat. Just skin and clean 'em up, hack out the good chunks of meat, make sure to remove all the birdshot pellets, and toss 'em in a stew. Boiled rabbit in stew with taters, carrots, celery and onions is amazing! I usually tossed a boulion cube in the mix just for a bit of extra oomph. Salt, pepper and a dash of Tabasco set it off perfectly. Just thinking about it makes me hungry!

Do a search on Rabbit Starvation, and you will get all you care to read.

http://www.medbio.info/Horn/Time 1-2/vilhjalmur_stefansson1.htm

From the article...

"Another myth about primitive diets, and one that is harder to dispel, is that they were low in fat, particularly saturated animal fat. Loren Cordain, PhD, probably the most well known proponent of a return to Paleolithic food habits, recommends a diet consisting of "lean meat, occasional organ meats and wild fruits and vegetables." While this prescription may be politically correct, it does not jibe with descriptions of Paleolithic eating habits, either in cold or hot climates."

After reading this, seems to me it's apples and oranges. What they seem to be talking about is a meat diet in a cold climate.

In such a climate, the body needs lots of calories to keep warm and go about the usual business. A high protein, low fat diet won't do it for you, you need fat. But that isn't to say that a normal person in a normal environment eating rabbit as the source of protein, along with an otherwise normal diet wouldn't be perfectly healthy.

What I'm trying to say is, if one had to live off of only rabbit meat in a temperate climate, you could do pretty well for a long time. If you had to do the same thing in a very cold climate, things would go bad for you much more rapidly.

Andy

One thing that I would expect to be common sense, but has not been brought up yet is, make sure that there is a season open for rabbits when you are hunting and that you have the required permit/license. And, you may be required to wear hunter orange while hunting. It would really spoil the camping trip to be busted by a game warden for a rabbit hunting violation.

Andrew

...a conclusion which makes sense, considering that the topic was snowshoe hares in a cold climate.

To support your conclusion, the anecdotally stories I heard that involved hare "poisoning" were always about some poor trapper in the far north who had been forgotten by his supply planes, etc...

I remember once, I shot a rabbit during pheasant season in central KS. This was in winter, probably in December or so. We had certainly had more than one hard freeze.

I had some birds to clean, and as I was doing so I happened to glance at the rabbit carcass which was lying on the ground.

I could see something moving under the skin on its back! :eek:

I took my knife and poked the point in right where I saw the movement and slit it open. A great big, fat grub-looking thing fell out and began to writhe around on the ground. It was about the size of the end of my thumb from the last joint.

Disgusted, I stepped on it and it burst, full of blood! :eek:

I threw that animal away. :barf:

I've never seen anything like that again, and I wonder if it wasn't the larva of some kind of bot fly.

Andy

I've seen that exact same thing here in Northern California. Saw it when I was a young lad, and it still creeps me out to this day.:barf:

braise in a combination of wine and stock for a couple of hours, then cook with tomatoes garlic and basil, and you have yourself a great pasta sauce...meat will fall off the bone...

Back