Whats the deal on these Karambits?

Whats the deal, are they just a new fad or is there something to it?
How are they better than a hawkbill?

Just curious, any input welcomed.

any knife in the hands of someone trained to use it are "serious weapons", the k'bit doesnt have the market cornored in that regard lol.

personally, i dont care for them, just too specialized imho, k'bit training is specific to pretty much just k'bits, it doesnt translate to other types of knives, they also make crummy utility knives regardless of the fact that they were originally designed to be just that.

It opening a huge can of worms, but I'd agree that yes, they're a fad.

Although, calling them a niche product is probably more accurate.

Just because it's possible to learn to fight effectively with one doesn't mean you should EDC one if there are better options available.

If someone invented a 1" blade box-cutter fighting "art" that took months/years to learn properly, there would still be an army of zealots ready to defend this style from those who took exception :rolleyes:

The Karambit is one of those things in life where if you don't get it...you don't get it! I say this tongue in cheek, becaue for many years I did not get it myself......

There is nothing "specialized" about this weapon. In fact, it is the best knife I could think of for an untrained individual...all the movenemts are simple, natural, and highly logical. Add to that the security of the hole in the handle (so you don't drop the darn thing), and that makes it an even better knife for the untrained. This is the absolute best knife you could give to your wife or daughter, who doesn't want to bother with a lot of training!!!

You hear a lot of BS like "it won't cut on the backstroke". Well, yes it will...duh, and all you have to do is a little rotation of your wrist. So absolutely freaking simple, but when you come from some other backgrounds and points of view, one just sometimes can't seem to catch onto even elementry little things like that (again...I speak here from personal experience!). And no it isn't a utility knife, so if all you need to do is cut your apple for lunch, this obviously isn't the knife for you.

But that is all just fine with me!!! The fewer folks out there that are armed with one, the better armed I will be in comparison. So keep spreading the bogus info!

Last edited:
Let's just say.............I wouldn't want to be forced to defend myself against an attacker who is wielding a karambit.

Let's just say.............I wouldn't want to be forced to defend myself against an attacker who is wielding a karambit.

I wouldn't want to have to defend myself against an attacker with a box cutter or a steak knife either.

Some people really like 'em, I've played around with them a bit, owned one for a while (a Szabo), decided I'm better off with a straight fixed-blade. I practice/teach a FMA style, and my GM, a Filipino who studied under several well-known GMs, even chuckles when they're mentioned.

I think they do fit a niche, as a previous poster stated, and I think that niche is for defending yourself from someone who is unarmed. I wouldn't want to go up against someone with a longer weapon.

If your opponent has a "longer weapon", you are going to have to close on them and get "inside" their reach (like a boxers clinch). One would be an absolute fool to stand there at arms length (perfect striking distance!), trying to slash it out with an opponent.....yet this is what most untrained folks think that kinfe fighting is!

Either you have to stay away at a safe distance (hell, run away and live to fight another day if you can), or inside your opponents reach, but never in between. Once you are inside and have at least some control over the opponent's limbs, then that is where the Karambit is going to be devastating. This again is where the hole in the handle has an advantage. My Karambits are tight enough on my index finger, that I can still open and use my hands to control my opponent. With any conventional knife handle, you are just going to drop your weapon....which somebody else may very well pick up.

Last edited:
tacticool weapon.

no matter what anyone says, it's still just a bent/curved knife.

And every time someone talks about how awesome it is that the ring keeps you from dropping it I have to smother a laugh.

Are there actually any authentic mass produced Kerambits out there?

They are supposed to be double-edged but i can never find any.

There is nothing "specialized" about this weapon. In fact, it is the best knife I could think of for an untrained individual...all the movenemts are simple, natural, and highly logical.

Agreed.

If you have doubts about them, get a cheapo and play around with it. I find handling one very intuitive, and if you don´t, well, you´ve wasted $15 at worst, or you can resell it on the bay.

That said, I have never had to use one in a combat situation, and since I´m neither military, LEO or security, chances are (knock on wood) I never will.

The BIG downside of the karambit is the fact that it´s not very useful outside of self-defense. So I guess most people will prefer a blade that can be used both for everyday cutting as well as for defense.

I don't understand the obsession with karambits. I don't think anyone can say they are "tactically superior" to any other knife and I honestly think they are limited in many ways. Oh, but I guess the first line could read "I don't understand MY obsession with karambits." I love mine and I plan on buying many more. I can't tell you why I like balisongs (or any knife for that mater) either. I just do.

I have never trained with one , but have seen a few that have , and from what they have shown me it can be a devastating tool in close range.

Just as some find no use for serrations , or the tanto , some will claim the K-bit has no merit. But it does , for its intended use.

I have one , a Tarani Masters , but I have no K-bit skills , however it does have utility uses as well. Mine is used to open cans of Copenhagenn :)

No sense knocking a tool , if you haven't really gave it a look at what it can do , with those who have trained with it.

I had the luxury of watching two groups of good folks doing verbal sparring over the benefits and shortcomings of Pikal vs K-Bit. Interesting discussion , and it really opened my eyes to the efficiency of either in trained hands.

Me , I carry my blades for utility , the 1911 is there for SD purposes. But I won't dismiss the K-bit as being non-effective , cause it is far from it.

I like them personaly.

Iv been using and making kerambits for years so I dont think its just a fad at all.

Interest in them seems to come in waves but they have been around for a long time.

Are there actually any authentic mass produced Kerambits out there?

They are supposed to be double-edged but i can never find any.

As far as double edged karambits go..........Richard Derespina is a custom maker that produces mostly double edged karambits. Do a search for his blades.

As far as double edged karambits go..........Richard Derespina is a custom maker that produces mostly double edged karambits. Do a search for his blades.

:/ no production ones eh?

Cause...a double edge kerambit has seriously more utility than the neutered single-edged ones.

other options are James Coogler , Strider HS & PS , the CKT ( if you can find them ) made nice folding and fixed K-bits.

Back