What's the deal with the Umfaan?

I've read a few things about these and haven't been able to find any good info on what they are or if they're available anymore. Is Umfaan just another name for the small, or is it something else. I'm assuming that whatever they are, they're not available anymore, but could someone enlighten me?

They are essentially a 'mini' Sebenza. A little smaller than the small. I don't have one or I would post a picture. They have not been made for several years, but the possibility exists that they may yet be made again. At one point on CRK website it said they were 'being redisgned and not curretly available'. Not sure if that is still there or if they do plan or making them again for sure.

My understanding is that they are on the 'back burner" for now. They are so busy with the Green Beret for the Govt that stuff like this is going to be awhile . There may be some floating around. One other thing for users, they are made with BG42 steel. And they hold a great edge.
Hope this helps until the experts arrive.

I think it's more like a miniture Sebenza. Closed length 3 inches with a 2 1/4 inch blade. Cute little knife built like a tank. I would carry mine more but due to their relative rarity it stays in the drawer. It's also the only folder from CRK that comes without the clip (or the cutout for one). You may be able to find one in the exchange forum. I don't see them often, I think that the people that have one are hanging on to them, I know I am! ;)

Umfaan means "little boy" in Zulu, the native language in South Africa where Chris grew up. I own a small Sebnza and two Umfaans (zigzag & spear models). The Umfaan is by far my favorite Reeve knife in that I believe it's the perfect every-day carry knife. I carried my small Sebenza for a year or so, but found it a bit bulky in my pocket (I prefer not to carry a belt sheath). I use it as my work knife now and it's awesome.

The Umfaan fits in your pocket very unabtrusively, and is the stongest knife of it's size that I've seen. I've carried one for seven years now and wouldn't consider anything else. I put a strong leather lanyard on it, and cut the carry pouch in half for quick access. The integrated liner-lock is super strong, and if in a pinch I had to use my Umfaan as a defense weapon, I'm confident it wouldn't fail and seriously injure me as many lesser knives might. It also holds an awesome edge so I'm not having to constantly resharpen (BG-42 model).

In my opinion, the Umfaan is the single best pocket carry knife out there. I'll never understand why Chris decided to discontinue them. I loved the different yearly patterns, too. I was looking for the last version when they were discontinued, but couldn't get one. I haven't found any for sale anywhere in quite some time. I sure hope they come to their senses and re-release them!

Dang nabbit, NOW I want one of those!!!! THAT is an awesome little knife!! I must have one!!!

Yeah, Umfaan is awesome... and one is on the way to me right now :D

I love my Umfaan! I've had it for a few years now. Here it is pictured next to my new Small Sebenza

000_0321.jpg

Thanks for sharing!!! Oh and by the way, YOU SUCK Ren!! LOL! Do you have a picture of your knife? I would LOVE to see it.:cool:

Soooo.........,how much would a nib Umfaan cost?

...just curious...

Raoul...

I think new they were around $300. Today I guess it would be whatever the market would bear. I would say that in general, the market isn't willing to pay what current owners would want to part with their knives. I don't think that I 'd sell mine for less than $500 but I'm not sure that I would pay that much if one became available. And even at $500 I don't think I'd sell it.

Scott, exactly... I wouldn't sell mine for 0.5k$ for sure. Just too cute knife and too hard to get back. Now it belongs to "small but not for sale" collection :D

I wrote CRK and asked them about it, and they said that all they done was think about making it again, and no further. They suggested that I look on the secondary market for one. I asked if they had one I could buy. Sigh......

Walking Man, I totally agree with you!! Maybe if we send CRK enough E-mails about it........Just a thought!

Well......,today I found a shop that still sells the Umfaan.
They are brandnew in box,with various graphics.......,oh yeah....,and they sell for E600,-!!!
Yes....,that's about $700,-!!!

So......,if anyone is so mad about the Umfaan that they are willing to pay big bucks,let me know and I'll send you one.

(ps. the above displayed price is without shipping cost and I will not make a penny profit!!!)

Raoul...

(ps. today I saw and handled a Mnandi for the first time. Boy.....,these knives are even lighter and smaller than I thought!!)

raoul said:
Well......,today I found a shop that still sells the Umfaan.
They are brandnew in box,with various graphics.......,oh yeah....,and they sell for E600,-!!!
Yes....,that's about $700,-!!!

Yeah, I handled an Umfaan in a store here in Italy yesterday, and its price was 600 euros, too. Cool little knife, but I wouldn't pay €600 for it. Hey, I can pick up a TNT for that kind of dough. :)

Umfaan... yes, they cost about 600 EURO in EU. I wouldn't compare it to any other knife. Too much "apples to oranges" kind of comparison ;)

Back