What's the deal with the Umfaan?

Hi, I'm a newcomer in this part of the forum... got a small classic and a small regular in my EDC rotation, but also proudly keep this beloved Umfaan as a safe queen... :D

Last spring I saw a couple of these in a knifeshop in Amsterdam, but they were offered for 650/700 euros !

Umfaan2.JPG

Tuan

Garonne said:
Here it is, this morning i found this object and you can have a chance to get one, unfortunately i don't have the money :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chris-Reeve-Umf...607747573QQcategoryZ43335QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nice....,but I don't think the "original" price was in comparison with the knife (I think they sold for $325,-) and this price is even more retarded!!!

We have a knife shop here in Amsterdam who has a whole bunch of Umfaans (all decorated pieces,NIB),but they sell for well over $600,- (Sebenzas sell for over $700,-).

I know it's all about what a knife is worth for you,but in my opinion I would not pay more than $300,- for that little knife!!! (and I probably wouldn't even pay that much!!!)

Just my 2 cents!

Check out some other forums......,there's one for trade right now for a strider folder!!!

hmmm apparently you don't understand the way things work. If there is a demand for an item that is not being made anymore then the prices are influenced to the upward side. I am not sure if thet is a production circles umfaan or one of the special ones they ran but that could bring it up a bit on its own. The us market for new to individual machineguns was closed in 1986 and the prices for those items have went absoultely freakin nutz. Availablility and demand set price sometimes. If you can't afford to play then don't but don't knock someone else for doing so. Value is something we all decide and not everyone might think you are worth what you get paid....

BTW I do not have that knife for sale.

tallpaul said:
hmmm apparently you don't understand the way things work. If there is a demand for an item that is not being made anymore then the prices are influenced to the upward side. I am not sure if thet is a production circles umfaan or one of the special ones they ran but that could bring it up a bit on its own. The us market for new to individual machineguns was closed in 1986 and the prices for those items have went absoultely freakin nutz. Availablility and demand set price sometimes. If you can't afford to play then don't but don't knock someone else for doing so. Value is something we all decide and not everyone might think you are worth what you get paid....

BTW I do not have that knife for sale.

Now why would you go and say that???:confused:
Please don't treat me like I'm stupid!!!

Read my post......,I made it specifically clear that everything was my opinion.......,the last time I checked I was allowed to have one (an opinion that is!!!)
It was my 2 cents!!!!

[edit: erased the poor use of my English vocabulary. No harm meant towards CRK,who obviously makes some of the nicest knives around!]

raoul said:
Now why would you go and say that???:confused:
Please don't treat me like a fucking retard!!!

Read my post......,I made it specifically clear that everything was my opinion.......,the last time I checked I was allowed to have one (an opinion that is!!!)
It was my 2 cents!!!!

Now please have a tall glass of STFU and go bash someone else if you don't have anything usefull to say!!!

Asswipe!:jerkit:

Actually you just did that to yourself - you did not require my help at all but you did manage to prove my point. As far as the STHU maybe you should have practiced that before saying a product was not worth the original asking price either... Don't come to a friends house and mouth off and then get offended if someone calls you on it. I want to commend you on your use of such graceful and mature language. Your ability to portray such a respected opinion is furthered by such :rolleyes: And don't try the poor me thing- with your behavior and language it does not work. Quite actually you were not even mentioned by name so your condemnation is showing to boot...

Have a nice day ! :)

raoul said:
Asswipe!:jerkit:

By the way- interesting signature there - is that an advertisement for your vocation? Sad really... does it pay well in the netherlands for you? :D

Ouch! can't swing $595 right now... that hurts I want! I need! but alas I can't now afford... not sure If I could convince myself it's worth it. Hopefully Chris Reeve will please bring it back at an affordable level. PLEASE!

tallpaul and raoul,

Please keep it civil in this forum. You should both know by now that this is not W&C. I'm not happy seeing this type of behavior in this particular forum.

K.V. Collucci said:
tallpaul and raoul,

Please keep it civil in this forum. You should both know by now that this is not W&C. I'm not happy seeing this type of behavior in this particular forum.

I apologise for that!
My reaction was a bit over the top,but I felt like I was being bashed for stating my opinion.....(well,that and the usual "hard day at work,little sleep,no sex,bla bla bla!!!"):D

Once again,I'm sorry and I will edit my post!;)

No worries Thomason!!! I still WANT an Unfaan!! Bring back, bring back, bring back the Umfaan to me, to me!! Bring back, bring back, bring back the Umfaan to me, to me!!

Today I received an Umfaan in a trade. Very cool! Here's a picture with the small classic pao ferro Sebenza that I'm carrying today.

Attachments

• umfaan sebenza.JPG
    umfaan sebenza.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 177
You beat me to that one!! Dang nabbit!! I am glad it has a good home. Sigh! I WILL get an Umfaan!! It is my personal mission to get an Umfaan!

Better luck next time. I'm sure you'll find one. The problem is not so much scarcity in and of itself, as it is price. There are Umfaans to be found here in Italy, for example, but they are very, very expensive.

Back