What's the deal with this company...

I did a search here last night and have concluded that Himalayan Imports "are the best in the world".
Having said that, why the huge price discrepancy between the below two models, one from Khukuri Palace and the other HI? They have the exact same specs? I believe the blade is unpolished on the KP model but who cares, it's going to be a user.

Ghurka Knives - Jungle

15" Ang Khola

Am I missing something here? Is the quality difference in the HI really worth 4.1x the price of the KP model?

**Thanks for all the help! Yesterday was the first time I've actually browsed the HI forum here on BF and am very new to the Khukuri thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
shipping costs and a worse warranty make up for the difference.

To which I'll add that I trust HI's quality assurance to be very high, and probably more important to me personally, I trust that HI takes care of their employees very well.

And that's all that really matters! Thanks for the replies.

I should have made note that after owning a bunch of Busse/Swamp Rat/Strider and other expensive knives, I have absolutely no problem spending the (low) price to buy a HI.

HI are indeed very good value. The only issue is that one kuk is never enough and, after 10 in one month, the cost climbs.

And that's all that really matters! Thanks for the replies.

I should have made note that after owning a bunch of Busse/Swamp Rat/Strider and other expensive knives, I have absolutely no problem spending the (low) price to buy a HI.

Pazzo,

When HI was formed the state of affairs in Nepal concerning the kukri was much different than it is today, now there are about a half dozen of the larger so called Khukuri Houses operating export businesses. I have read that not so long ago it was hard to find a well made working kukri for export.

The founder of HI cared not only about building a business but, also about honoring the people who make them and the tradition. And by running his business in that manner, where the local workers were respected and treated as an important part of the whole process, he was obviously able to attract some of the best craftsmen available.

On the business side of things, the attention to detail, the quality of the metal, the hardening of the blades, the raw material for the handles, the working conditions for the employees and the quality control, all add up to a superior product. I like buying from them knowing that they care about the people in Nepal and they care about the tradition. Sure it costs a few more dollars but they are treasures, not just knives. And like it has already been said, a $50 kukri with a $30 shipping fee and no lifetime waranty or support after the purchase, and it ends up a wash.

To understand how valued an HI kukri is to people just go on ebay or other similar site and look at the hundreds of kukris for sale, both new and used. If you searched ebay today you would see 436 kukris for sale, not one is an HI kukri. Lots are purchased but few are re-sold, people just hold on to them. That alone tells you something about the company and the product.

Just my 2 cents, good luck on your search,
Bill
Virginia

i think there is alot of people who just want the best quality knives, and dont realy care if its made with tradition and honor. they just want the best khukuri avavible.
i think HI realy have the best quality knives made, and of course tradition and honoring the workers also is a very big pluss:)

To tell ya the truth, i did buy from another kukuri company (Kukuri house) online when i first got into the addiction. Then i bought from HI, not knowing what i was going to get from either company. the K-house knives are decent knives, but the HI knife is just something more, maybe more heart and soul placed into the making of the knife, or maybe its just stronger. Less mass production feel, and more personal feel. Each Kami marks his blades, how cool is that? His personal testament to the quality, you wont get that elsewhere.
There are different designs at HI, and HI is willing to take advice from its buyers, which is very important to running a business.

As others have said the warranty at HI is another reason to come back, and once the shipping price gets added on to the others the price goes way up, and it will take a couple weeks to get to you. HI gets it to your door in 2-3 days.

i say buy from both and see which you like better. Theres a reason why i only have 2 knives from K-house, and a flat wallet and uncounted dozens of knives/ swords from HI.

I would bet that all of the price difference, maybe even more than that (i.e., management takes less off the top), ends up in the pockets of the people who actually make the khukuris. And that shows up in the quality, and the quality shows up in the warranty.

Pazzo,

I doubt you will get any response faster than Auntie Yangdu's.

Having tested some other brands of Khukuris and HI's, i have to say for myself i appreciate the workmanship of HI. My most-trusted ASTK gives me a lot of confidence it could damage and scare many off with its sheer size and look.
With each unsheathing from details on the pommel to the tip of the blade, you could visualize the effort and passion of forged spring steel into a true piece of Museum grade artifact WITH the fact it's a ready made tool/weapon.
The recent thread from Howard "virtual tour in Nepal" should give you an idea how it's all done.

I have absolutely no problem spending the (low) price to buy a HI.

There is a review of CAK vs Busse FFBM on youtube and you may judge for yourself. Most of us will say both belong to diff league.
I would like to ask again, if you mentioned the price of HI is 4.1x the price of X brand and you JUST mentioned no problem spending LOW price to buy a HI? It sounds to me you are ready to spend a fortune on HI since it delivers more VALUES.

At times we tend to compare hand-made blade with the high-tech heat treated and machined blades and i would take my HI into the wild world without much doubt because it's all TESTED.HI just took the skills to a much higher notch with fantastic custom and models.Auntie Yangdu continue to deliver her daily DOTD with Megalodons waiting and her services are BAR NONE.
I don't know if this is appropriate to say but watch out for the next batch of shipments from Rajkumar, Bhakta ,Tirtha and etc. They are ready to take your imagination to a whole new scale of euphoria.

Take note that small amount of the purchases will go to Kami Emergency Fund which was Steve's idea to help the kamis live a lot more happier.
Happy Kami makes customer happier. In case you think HI only produces khukuris, their collections of swords and ethnic weapon/blades will continue to mesmerize you where not even any khuk-making comp is closer to.

YOU HAVE TO TEST IT TO BELIEVE IT.

Last edited:
Too bad they don't have a model with a more 'tactical' handle. I love their traditional handles for the most part, but am looking for something a bit more tactical and that will go nicely with a kydex sheath.

Quality control. They actually know how to make a working blade, because they are still used to this day in their native country.

Even though we have top notch American craftsman who make swords and knives, the average American doesn't depend on these tools for their defense and day to day living.

A kami knows what a ghurka or other user needs out of a khukuri.

What impresses me is how well balanced the heavy forward weighted blades are.

Just my two cents. :)

Too bad they don't have a model with a more 'tactical' handle. I love their traditional handles for the most part, but am looking for something a bit more tactical and that will go nicely with a kydex sheath.

Auntie sells bare blades and many of us enjoyed it as weekend projects.
There has been an Ultimate Fighter in G10 handle and recent CAK in Micarta as well.Speaking of tactical, what's your call on design wise?

I wonder if X brands offer those as well?

Buy what you like and rehandle it, this is done often and it isn't hard to do. If you search you'll likely find a number of how to's on doing this to your khukuri. You can also consider one of the leather sheaths that Steve Tall had and donated to the Kami Health Fund (if there are any left) as they are quite tacticool and I like them. I bought three and have them on my most used khuks and knives...

here is one on my 40 oz, 18 in YCS Monster...
main.php

and here is one on my HI Friendship Knife...
main.php

Pazzo,

Recently i was given a chance to try on a McCurdy model. Looks like a BAS with fuller, no cho.

Will write a review on that.

Handle's heavier than blade resulting in bouncing off the branches. The width isn't substantial for heavier chopping.

If you look harder there's a D-handled khuk at 1.5cm thick spine.

Last edited:
Interesting.
I'm not using it for chopping though so I can't see that affecting things too much.

I'm thinking something along the lines of this (the sheath not the handle) ;):
SurvivalSheath1.jpg

The Killa Zilla is way to heavy to be an 'efficient' chopper. I'm not into straining my arm or getting a sore neck from it weighing my belt down. Lol. Other than that, I love my Busse knives :D

Now that we're starting to post pic's of other than H.I. wares.....I think it's time this thread went into the Cantina.

Back