What's the deal with this company...

I have one of SARs khuks and I love it. the sheath looks cool, but is not very usable. It rides to low and the leg straps hit at the knee. At least for me they do. I would get a different sheath if I could do it again.

SAR_Full_Sheath.jpg

Last edited:
It's hard for us to explain and persuade without you experience it yourself. Real experience is the best way to persuade, to me.

Thing has its reason and HI product has its price.

For every hobbies, we all have to pay "school fee". That's the cost we spent for (removed) when we lack experience at the first few times. Just go buy whatever you feel like to experience the world, man! $75 plus shipping is not a big sum to experience the world.

Removed link to vendor[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad they don't have a model with a more 'tactical' handle. I love their traditional handles for the most part, but am looking for something a bit more tactical and that will go nicely with a kydex sheath.

Check out the "Butchering a Khuk" thread on page 2. Nice micarta re-handle:

attachment.php

The Killa Zilla is way to heavy to be an 'efficient' chopper. I'm not into straining my arm or getting a sore neck from it weighing my belt down. Lol. Other than that, I love my Busse knives

I was referring to the kydex sheath, not the model.

I'm not sure you really understand what you're asking for, Pazzo.

For that matter, I'm not really sure you're asking, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

First of, if you think the Zilla is too heavy, realize the models you've been posting will weigh as much, if not more than a Zilla.

As for a "tactical" handle, do you mean shape-wise, you don't like the ridge?
Here's a "tactical" handled HI:
100_0204.jpg

Or do you want a rubber handle like some others use, or maybe micarta?

If you want micarta, then buy a model you like, with a chiruwa handle, take the scales off, and have micarta ones made and put on.

You say you want light, and won 't be using it for chopping? Then a Kobra, Sirupate or Chainpuri is what you need to be looking at. Wanting "tactical" features -- that mean you want it primarily as a fighting knife? Then look at 12-15" models (measured OAL, not blade length). If you want it primarily for fighting, you might also look at the Tamang. Actually, the Tamang looks perfect for that kind of purpose.

You can also look into HI's knives, there's quite a few models that may fit your purpose.

It might help if you sat down and wrote down everything you want the tool to do, and come up with a range of weighs that you can carry, and we can probably give you better directions to look.

Not sure but it is really nice looking...

SAR_Full_Sheath.jpg

As I mentioned earlier the khukuri is made by Spencer from SAR. He had the sheath made by someone else. The sheath looks cool, but is not very usable.

...You can also consider one of the leather sheaths that Steve Tall had and donated to the Kami Health Fund (if there are any left) as they are quite tacticool and I like them. I bought three and have them on my most used khuks and knives...

Yes, there are plenty sheaths still available, Yangdu keeps them in stock.

You can email her and let her know that you want one now, or get one shipped along with your next order.

The $20 price goes entirely to help the Kamis, since the sheaths were donated.

These sheaths have been modified to fit the thicker bladed khukuries. Unmodified, they will only fit very thin blades like the Kabar kukri machete.

Yes, there are plenty sheaths still available, Yangdu keeps them in stock.

You can email her and let her know that you want one now, or get one shipped along with your next order.

The $20 price goes entirely to help the Kamis, since the sheaths were donated.

These sheaths have been modified to fit the thicker bladed khukuries. Unmodified, they will only fit very thin blades like the Kabar kukri machete.

Wish I know about this before I made my order earlier this week...

Kydex is by Robert H. at Survival Sheaths!

I was trying to avoid mentioning who made the sheath. It is very well constructed, it just doesn't work very well for me. Someone with longer legs might be ok, but I doubt it.

I like mine enough in Steve Tall's sheath.
I remember Uncle Bill mentioned about placing Ganga Ram into this skate guard. One of the most economical and creative way to keep your khuk.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504476&highlight=skate+guards

skate.guards.JPG

Jay years ago I think I was the first one to bring up the idea of using the ice skate guards for both Khukuri And People Protection as I used to work in a factory that made them... Fo-Mac Inc. We also made high end roller skate wheels for top of the line skaters/Figure skaters along with all sorts of rubber and nylon reinforced rubber products for the Oil Patch.:thumbup: :cool: :D

`

Jay years ago I think I was the first one to bring up the idea of using the ice skate guards for both Khukuri And People Protection as I used to work in a factory that made them... Fo-Mac Inc. We also made high end roller skate wheels for top of the line skaters/Figure skaters along with all sorts of rubber and nylon reinforced rubber products for the Oil Patch.:thumbup: :cool: :D`

Welcome old friend.

The wheels keep turning.

Here's a picture and text from the FAQ showing your idea implemented.

Protective covers are sold for the purpose of covering ice skates when walking on surfaces other than ice. These covers can also serve to protect the blade of a khukuri.
A brand of covers called "Avant Guards" can be purchased from http://www.icesk8.com/access8.htm . They come two in a pack. Two packs come to about $14 with shipping. The avant guards weigh approximately two ounces each. They are 14 “ long. The rubber they are made of is soft enough to cut to size for a khukuri blade. I used the saw blade on my leatherman to cut one of the guards to fit a 14” villager.
skatecover.jpg

Here is the villager with the guard in place. The spring holds the guard securely, and the tip of the knife is secure in the tip portion of the guard. A clear plastic tube that will prevent marring of the blade covers the spring. Latching and unlatching the spring does take a bit of fumbling, so the blade can not be brought into play as rapidly as it could from a sheath. In instances where rapid deployment is not necessary, like backpack carry, the avant guard provides an excellent and lightweight carry option.

Back