What's the difference between the two GSO-5

I bought a GSO-5 a few days ago.When I get it I found there is no code(#0XX) under the flag.But I see some GSO-5 pictures have this code from Google.What's the difference between them?

survive-knives-gso-5-camp-chore-knife-cpm-3v-steel-natural-brown-canvas-58f7238a289d8c43df37279cfd29e64b_zpsjjtyozbz.jpg
QQ20170225095104_zpsdjvyl0vt.jpg

The original run 5s (numbered and un-numbered) had a smaller and less pronounced American flag. The new ones, I believe, were done by Guy in house and the laser flag engravings are bigger and pop compared to the old ones as you can see in your pictures. Aside from that there are no other differences. The 5s are tanks and feel very different from the 4.7s. They also have more power are heavier and are taller.

The original run 5s (numbered and un-numbered) had a smaller and less pronounced American flag. The new ones, I believe, were done by Guy in house and the laser flag engravings are bigger and pop compared to the old ones as you can see in your pictures. Aside from that there are no other differences. The 5s are tanks and feel very different from the 4.7s. They also have more power are heavier and are taller.

The 5S is a great knife! But now I have a serious problem,When I open my 5S handle,I found a lot of rust!The rust and cannot be thoroughly cleared,I've heard that the rust of 3V steel will going deeper and deeper,and can't be spopped.

Please take a photo and post it. I have seen patina and freckling not corrosion. But there's always a first time. I've handled Guy's corrosion test knives and wiped most of the rust off with steel wool and a wet rag. Did you buy this knife used or did you buy new?

Please take a photo and post it. I have seen patina and freckling not corrosion. But there's always a first time. I've handled Guy's corrosion test knives and wiped most of the rust off with steel wool and a wet rag. Did you buy this knife used or did you buy new?

This is a secondhand 5S,It's almost impossible to buy a brand new 5S now.As you can see in the pic there is still so many corrode spot on the knife after I removed rust.I'm planning to paint it on the handle to prevent it from rusting.
IMG_2315_zpsavnarkmy.jpg

Usually rust on Guy's knives is on the surface and will not effect the integrity of the knife. You might not need to paint it to prevent surface rust unless you live in a very very wet area like the FL or gulf coast. I live in the Mid-Atlantic and our humidity is over 50% and up to 100% at times. None of my knives have any patina. I clean and dry my knives and scales after every outdoor outing. You can also put a light coat of food safe oil on it every so often. Either way I think your knife looks alright.

The 5S is a great knife! But now I have a serious problem,When I open my 5S handle,I found a lot of rust!The rust and cannot be thoroughly cleared,I've heard that the rust of 3V steel will going deeper and deeper,and can't be spopped.

From your pics, it looks just fine, and the bit about it going deeper and deeper is just nonsense. The old HT protocol and surface finish did admit more spotting and surface corrosion, but 3V is far more resistant than less alloyed steels. The only part of the knife where you need worry about this sort of corrosion affecting performance is the cutting edge itself, and issue easily solved via continued use of the knife :cool: But like OBX typed, wipe some mineral oil on the tang and re-apply the scales, you are good to go :thumbup:

That is just patina, by the way. To remove the stain, you will need to rub/sand down the surface, but then it will not match the stonewash of the rest of the knife anyway. I recommend just oil and put the scales back on and put her to work.

Back