What's the hoopla over flashlights and what's wrong with a good ol' plain Maglite?

I've been on CPF for a few months now, and I may recognize them, but I'm still not quite sure what they are. SureFire mods?

J

Svashtar said:
If these products have been a long time coming, it’s because the MAG-LED™ Technology has taken a long time to develop to the point where it is feasible to make an LED flashlight that meets Mag Instrument's high standards of quality, durability, style and function.

Now, after years of research & development, testing and refinement, Mag Instrument is committed to introducing, in early 2006, a line of MAG-LED™ flashlights.

It will be mighty interesting to see exactly what they are talking about when these things hit the shelves in April. There is a new LED (the K-2) which was released in March that nobody knows much about, other than it can run significantly cooler than other 3-watt LEDS and therefore can handle more juice. Mag may be cornering the market on these and planning to use them in their new lineup.

If so, these $25 lights could be significantly brighter than any LED by Surefire or anyone else which cost seven times as much. Also, there is considerable ruckus at the Patent Office over Mag's "focusable beam" feature which is something no other LED light has. With LEDs you typically get either a short-range floodlight or a long-range "tactical" light with little area coverage. If Mag has solved that problem it will please me to no end.

There isn't much "snob appeal" to a light from Wal Mart, but that isn't going to bother me a whole lot if they do the job better.

I have three large mag lites and several of the minis. One bigun for home and one for each car. I love them. For camping I use a little led light. Nothing expensive. I used to get really annoyed camping with people who insisted on constantly using their flashlights at night. Once the cooking was done we would go for treks in the woods. If you leave the da*n light off, and there is any moon at all, your eyes will ajust. Unfortunately the younger scouts were constantly switching theirs on, ruining your ability to see in the dark. Eventually we had to search them before setting out. By the time I hit Order of the Arrow this wasn't an issue. I loved OA because the dingusses were weeded out. Only good experienced campers there. And no farging lights at night. I find very few times in the wood you need a light that could show roof damage from 25 yards away.

All this talk about LED lights got me curious. I bought a little cheap chinese 1.5watt LED light at Target for 10 bucks over the weekend. It takes 2 AAA batteries and has a 7 hour battery life. I think this is just about perfect for what i need:) I would like to get a better one as this one is obviously pretty dinky. It has that "Chinese manufactured" look to it, and the way you switch it from momentary to steady on is by twisting the end cap tighter. Not a great design, but a cheap experiment to show me just how wonderfully bright these little LEDs are.
I think that if Maglite comes out with a stock LED, then that will be exactly what I need. I don't need the best of the best light for my work needs. However, i really like the structure/cost ratio of the maglites.
I really should have known all of this stuff as I actually sell a few LED products, and they are amazing. I guess seeing is believing. I'm still tempted to get one of those surefire lights with the tactical cookie cutter end on it:)

Jake

Am I the only one who prefers mag lights to all the new mumbo jumbo out there? I really like their "thump on the head and or neck" ability as well as their (for the small ones) "choke up on them and ball them in your fist for a better punch" ability. I do understand that LEDs last longer, but isn't the battery system a little more expensive? I think I am in nead of some flashlight help too:eek: . I guess I will re-read all the posts and learn a little more than I did the first time;) .

Heather

Jake,

If you like lights with throw (carrying distance) as opposed to flood (spill), the River Rock AA light runs no more than 2x what you paid, and is a GREAT light.

Carried by Target.

Hi, Heather. Mag Lites do have some things going for them, but there are the same batteries options (and sizes) available from LED choices on the market. If you like a big "whomp 'em" light, there are some, like that will work great, and if you want a smaller, there are lots in the Mini Mag or smaller size.

John

jeffreyl said:
I hate to do this to you guys..............but flashlights are "like" knives...............................
Unfortunately, these are just a "few" pix!!
jeffreyl

i've actually owneda few of those lights... sold them too... collectible. now i'm mostly running off the shelf cheap LEDs because they are GOOD.

still have a tiger light - wow, but if you take a 2xC maglite, use a $2 bulb, and a 3x123 carrier - you have something nearly or as bright - and focusable. more a hack - i wouldn't rely on it, but DAMN.

yvsa: best test: goto target, get a river rock 2xC flashlight - $15-20. super bright. i believe it's rated for 8 hours of runtime with white light the whole time, unlike a maglite - couple hours at best, and it's yellow almost right away in color. if the river rock doesn't float you, not much will ... they also make a damned nice LED headlamp - $15-20... plus a couple AAA and AA models. very soon, they're coming out with a single AA model as well.

want to step up more? there's options. look at www.brightguy.com for some hotness... i'd stay away from surefire - they're good, but spendy. anything that uses 123 batteries these days has serious competition with the AA battery market now that they have good regulation going. if you need killer brightness though, 123 is the way to go. if not, use the cheap fuel.

it's also not out of line to convert your mags to LEDs. niteize has a cheap kit at walfarts ($4-5), that'll do your minimags, and there's different kits for the large pr2 bulbs in the big guys - but these days... why bother?

additional: some of the LED flashlights run brighter and longer with lithiums or rechargeables, and that's a good deal. your emergency backup/car light should at least have a set of lithiums in the box "just in case". they work in freezing cold. alkalines won't.

bright trails, watch out for that snake

bladite

RavensFlight said:
Am I the only one who prefers mag lights to all the new mumbo jumbo out there? I really like their "thump on the head and or neck" ability as well as their (for the small ones) "choke up on them and ball them in your fist for a better punch" ability. I do understand that LEDs last longer, but isn't the battery system a little more expensive? I think I am in nead of some flashlight help too:eek: . I guess I will re-read all the posts and learn a little more than I did the first time;) .
Heather

*shudder* flashlights should not be perceived as weapons. then the cops get uppity, and politicians make laws. that's why you carry a rock :)

but seriously, have you ever smacked something hard with a maglite? i have. had to break a window once. the window broke. my light got scratched up (horrors!), and the bulb broke. maglight bulbsare super delicate.

a lot of people talk about thumping other people "just in case", but if you're also depending on that light to see them, well, you might the bulb break in a tussle, and then someone is going to possibly have the upper hand, especially if they have a better light :> me? my "tactical" light is bright enough that i can, as someone said earlier "cook an owl at 30 feet". no need for me to get close to someone, and then i can throw rocks at them while they can't see :)

p.s. - zombies don't need light and aren't afraid of maglites or flashlights

p.p.s - what makes a flashlight tactical? the marketing :>

bladite

river rock

Indeed, not "Rock River". I've been losing the ability to talk lately. Really.
Stumbling over words and such. One of my friends said it might be my perpetual sleep dep...

Spectre said:
Jake,

If you like lights with throw (carrying distance) as opposed to flood (spill), the Rock River AA light runs no more than 2x what you paid, and is a GREAT light.

Carried by Target.
John

You're spot on as usual, John:) It is indeed a River Rock light that I bought. I'm glad it's a good brand. I opted for the AAA version for the size factor. Most of my light needs are going to looking in small motors or upstairs where the lighting is very dim. The AA version was 19.99 to the 9.99 I paid. I really liked the AA version, but the AAA fits my shirt pocket a little better. It's sitting clipped to my pocket as I type. I have to drive the Mrs. an hour south tonight, then drive that same hour back myself. It's dark and rainy, and it's nice to know i have a little bit of bright light in my pocket if i should break down, or need to pull off an look at a map. Man, a fella has to be careful around here. Hobbies tend to sneak up this way;)

Jake

Jake

Steely_Gunz said:
All this talk about LED lights got me curious. I bought a little cheap chinese 1.5watt LED light at Target for 10 bucks over the weekend. It takes 2 AAA batteries and has a 7 hour battery life. I think this is just about perfect for what i need:) I would like to get a better one as this one is obviously pretty dinky. It has that "Chinese manufactured" look to it, and the way you switch it from momentary to steady on is by twisting the end cap tighter. Not a great design, but a cheap experiment to show me just how wonderfully bright these little LEDs are.
I think that if Maglite comes out with a stock LED, then that will be exactly what I need. I don't need the best of the best light for my work needs. However, i really like the structure/cost ratio of the maglites.
I really should have known all of this stuff as I actually sell a few LED products, and they are amazing. I guess seeing is believing. I'm still tempted to get one of those surefire lights with the tactical cookie cutter end on it:)

Jake

i'm guessing you actually got the 0.5 watt one :>

that push on, turn for full-on is typical design of expensive 100+ and other tacticals actually ;) nothing cheap about it ;>

not sure what you mean about "chinese look" though - it has a build quality as good, or better than maglite. i've got almost the whole line, including the lantern, and they're SOLID. i could easily smash a car window with the 2xC model, and PROBABLY with the 2xAA one. tough :) they're precision lathed, annodized, and tight. glass lenses i think too (maglite uses plastic eww - you can buy UCL (ultra clear lenses) for maglites for a few dollars - they helps a lot.

if you have a mini-mag maglite, for a mere $5 you can convert it to a pretty bright, diffuse throw light. not as bright as river rocks, but good, and a long run time. plus, your investment, if any in maglite hardware and acessories will keep. get an UCL for that too and shiny!

bladite

Yvsa said:
The Mag LED sounds promising to me as well and a conversion kit sounds really great!:thumbup: :D

But if I were to buy another light which would be the best one for long battery life as well as cost to begin with?

You guys have me convinced now that the LED lights are the way to go.;) :thumbup: The problem is about the same with the HI Khukuris, just too many dayumed choices!!!!:thumbdn: :grumpy: :rolleyes: :p ;) :D
Yvsa,
This is a decent light for run time: http://www.ledbeam.com/
It is the same size as a 3C cell Maglite, but brighter with a tight focus beam. Here is a review.
I like mine.

For a small, high powered , incandescent, this is a good value light: Brinkmann Maxfire LX Batteries are by far cheaper on the web.

There was some good info on small, high output, LED lights in this thread.

I still keep a big 4D Mag around also; a good upgrade for it is a KPR113 (Catalog #: 272-1162) or HP50 (Catalog #: 272-1189) bulb from Radioshack.
IMO, either is better than the stock Mag bulb. I prefer the HP50. It will also run on 5 C cells ( I roll'em all up in cardborard to fit) in the 4 D Mag for lighter weight.

Regards,
Greg

Thanks Greg, et al::thumbup: :D
Is there a small light equivelant to the MiniMag with 2 AA's that is also metal, has a good runtime, at least a couple of hours, will take rechargable batteries and not cost an arm an a leg an a left, big toe? ;)
The small single AA or AAA lights also are appealing.
I suppose I could check around at some dealers and then order online but I trust y'alls judgement better than I do my own about these lights since y'all have been there and done that.:thumbup: :D :cool: ;)

Bladite said:
*shudder* flashlights should not be perceived as weapons. then the cops get uppity, and politicians make laws. that's why you carry a rock :)

but seriously, have you ever smacked something hard with a maglite? i have. had to break a window once. the window broke. my light got scratched up (horrors!), and the bulb broke. maglight bulbsare super delicate.

a lot of people talk about thumping other people "just in case", but if you're also depending on that light to see them, well, you might the bulb break in a tussle, and then someone is going to possibly have the upper hand, especially if they have a better light :> me? my "tactical" light is bright enough that i can, as someone said earlier "cook an owl at 30 feet". no need for me to get close to someone, and then i can throw rocks at them while they can't see :)

p.s. - zombies don't need light and aren't afraid of maglites or flashlights

p.p.s - what makes a flashlight tactical? the marketing :>

bladite

The reason I listed the uses of a maglite as weapon-like is because I live in a ghetto and I am a woman who walks around it sometimes alone. I need to think of ways to protect myself... I have been in a few BAD situations in the past and wished that I had had SOMETHING, ANYTHING, to protect myself with... then maybe those horrible things would not have happened.

Just thought I would straighten out what I said in my earlier post and give reasons why I said what I said in my earlier post. I am not looking for trouble, never was and never have been... but trouble has found me a few times and I have been defenseless. I DO NOT want that to happen again.

-Heather

An LED is a superb defense tool....not for crackin' somebody on the noggin....but for stunning people. The tail-clicky can be used to create a strobe effect that is dizzying and disorienting (not to mention blinding). Much moreso than a regular off-the-shelf incandescant.

If you can't get the hang of the tail-clicky, then just sweeping the light across the eyes back and forth does the trick. I've experienced both and if done in low-light, it can cause temporary blindness and extreme eye fatigue (because the eye is constantly adjusting to the stong light, then no light, etc.)

I think I came across some where on the internet where they sell Maglite conversion kits to LEDS. They change the whole head and the lamp, And replaces it with a LED head. It looks really cool, but currently, only availabe for AA Maglites only.

Back