What's the most ergonomic and comfortable knife you own ( folder/ fixed ) Worst?

The best is a tie between the Benchmade 580 Barrage (thick) and Benchmade 1000001 Volli (thin). Depends what I'm doing with the knife. Both knives feel as if they were custom made for my hand. Now that I'm thinking about it, it's odd that neither finds its way into my EDC rotation very often…

Worst is easily a Ganzo G709. (stupid looking knife with a big donut hole as the pivot) Using the knife with my finger in the hole is awkward. Using the knife with the finger on the outside of the hole is worse. If I put pressure on the hole my finger will slide either forward or backward. Backward and my hand is too far from the blade, forward and my finger slips onto the blade on top of pointy back end of the cutting edge just forward of the choil. I'm very happy I discovered this _before_ deciding to put it on my Edge Pro!

I've seen similar knives from Gerber and Boker so Ganzo is either copying them, or more likely just the OEM. If someone knows for sure please let me know.

Mark

Last edited:
Best- manix 2, ontario sp 43.
Worst- spyderco ambitious, buck 119
Now I know I am going to get crap for my worst.lol. The ambitious is a little short and the buck is a little to big and chunky.

Most comfortable folder: Buck 110.

Least comfortable folder: Stainless steel Endura.

Most comfortable fixed blade has to be my bark river ultralight bushcrafter. I cannot say that my others are uncomfortable. Folders, hmmmm...that's tough. I would have to say my William Henry EDC6, then PM2 and Gayle Bradley. Everything else after those.

My most ergonomic is this Mora 711, that I'm incredibly fond of.

The least ergonomic is this Buck 309, that I still hold in very high regards

Best folder - The Spyderco Southard. Best damn Spydie to date.
Worst folder - SOG Flash. Damn little knife flies out of your hand with it's terrible ergos and assisted opening.

To the noob who slammed the Sebenza, you must not have actually held it. While not flashy, the ergos are perfect and timeless. The index finger lands perfectly in the cutout, the gimping useful and the straight handle very comfortable.

Sabenzas are nice knives but they're just simple slab-sided folders. Until they come with contoured handles ergonomics aren't going to be among their strong points.

I own LOTS of knives and many of them are VERY comfortable but the knife that wins the ergonomic and comfort award is probably the oddest knife I own; this one:
7147061433_43c646ba02_o.jpg

This thing just fits perfect. I'd like to see one with a "regular blade"

Best:

ZT 0200: The thing was so big and thick and heavy that I got rid of it. Great ergos though.

Brous Silent Soldier Flipper: I just got this one. Very good ergos and a really interesting design. Most secure and comfy grip design yet. Its unconventional however.

Al Mar Mini SERE: what a great handle, and a great folder.

Hinderer XM-18: Better ergos than a Sebenza, and more comfortable than a Strider Sng due to its thicker handle. The best of both worlds.

Worst:

Boker Nano: What a crappy handle. Don’t feel bad if you missed out on this one. At least it doesn’t cost as much as the Curtis custom version. The Al Mar SLB is a far better small beefy folder design.

The best fixed blade handles I’ve used are found on the ZT Onion and Martin series. Fehrmans are excellent also.

Last edited:
Sabenzas are nice knives but they're just simple slab-sided folders. Until they come with contoured handles ergonomics aren't going to be among their strong points.

Couldn't disagree more, Sebenza's are perfectly shaped ergonomically. They are plain in that they just plain work without contrived silliness.

This one in particular.
The Blue twill scales are just a tad thicker than factory and all the edges are rounded just perfectly.
It feels awesome in hand.

Oops, forgot the Griptillian, probably the best inexpensive folder handle made.

I missed the Grip too. The Griptillian was the first folder I owned that really felt great in my hand. A legendary knife that really deserves the title.

Couldn't disagree more, Sebenza's are perfectly shaped ergonomically. They are plain in that they just plain work without contrived silliness.

Ergonomics are subjective and not always top priority. When I was interested in a Sabenza I tried one out and liked it a lot. I just didn't like it $500 worth. I was mostly interested in and impressed by the fit and finish and materials used but the ergonomics utterly failed to make an impression on me either way. Neither good nor bad. On the other hand, the first time I picked up a Griptillian I was immediately struck by how well it fit my hand. It was the first thing I noticed about the knife. Then again, I recall the first time I handled my ZT0350. I was really amazed by how terrible it felt in my hand and again, the first thing I noticed.

I'm not putting the Sabenza down by any means and I'm not suggesting it has poor ergonomics, I just think quality materials and excellent workmanship were more of a priority in the design.

We have very different hands obviously, as I was very fond of the ZT350's ergos. It's all good my friend.

I own LOTS of knives and many of them are VERY comfortable but the knife that wins the ergonomic and comfort award is probably the oddest knife I own; this one:
7147061433_43c646ba02_o.jpg

This thing just fits perfect. I'd like to see one with a "regular blade"

I wonder if you can get scales with a feather pattern for that.

Best folder is tie between Benchmade Gold Class Grip(551bk), Hinderer 3.5" flipper in full titanium and Wilkins Ghost Dog Pup(full titanium). Worst folder, for me, was the Spyderco PM2.....just didn't care for the ergos and the locking mechanism. Best Fixed blade is a tie between anything from OTK, Lamont Coombs or Matt Lamey and the worst, again for me, is anything from Busse.....I just don't like their ergos and I don't care for INFI.

Back