What's the point of a sharp pointed knife ?

:oops: I must recognize that there are special purpose knives that benefit from having no sharp point . See recent thread . https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pointless-knives-what-are-they-good-for.1751636/

But the notion that a sharp point is ONLY for stabbing is completely erroneous , IMO .

I consider a sharp point to be extremely useful and I believe that others must share this view .

So please contribute regarding the many functions of a sharp point . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Or , of course , demonstrate/ testify the opposite ! :rolleyes:

Reactions: DMG
For myself I think the point is mainly for how you like / find the knife appealing.
I personally like spearpoint and wharncliff blades.

I find the point achieves beginning a cutting task.
Stabbing somebody isn't on the to do list.

Last edited:
Indeed, a point has low surface area and aids in piercing. As S Skar mentioned, that can aid in starting a cut. Cutting down cardboard boxes is a regular chore in the "shelter in place" era. I start a lot of cuts by piercing a surface.

Setting aside the joke, self defense is part of emergency preparedness. It's a utility that a knife can offer. A point can be very helpful in that context. It's worth noting that there are other factors involved in determining the defensive value of a tool. For instance, there are lots of nice pointy knives that are not good defensive tools. However, some can be reasonably effective. A good argument for EDC fixed blades is that they can handle all the normal cutting chores while offering more reliable defensive utility. It's a function you'd never want to need but it's nice to have it.

I like the pointy ones best for opening packages, and envelopes. This oldie but goodie is my 'around the house knife'. Kershaw Salvo, USA made, 14c28n Sandvic steel.
SGyVWeC.jpg

To score something, make a very short cut or divot, or even drill a hole thru thin material, I think there are points...err..to a sharp point.

Specialized, non pointed knives have a place as do the pointed blades. Try removing a small foreign object from under the skin with a rounded knife. Doesn't work too well. Now try removing same object with a pointed blades. Problem solved.
You can't use a non pointed knife for cleaning panfish or small game either.

I tried the sheepsfoot, lambsfoot knives. I liked them but I just prefer my knives to have a piercing tip. This is what I carry constantly : knives with sharp, piercing tips, because I get more use out of them.
Three of my favourites, perfect examples, constantly in the rotation (they do it all while they're rather small) :
Ep937LK.jpg

I tried the sheepsfoot, lambsfoot knives. I liked them but I just prefer my knives to have a piercing tip. This is what I carry constantly : knives with sharp, piercing tips, because I get more use out of them.
Three of my favourites, perfect examples, constantly in the rotation (they do it all while they're rather small) :
Ep937LK.jpg

Those are beautiful, who is the maker? Bet they slice apples while sitting in a rocking chair with panache

A lot of cutting involves piercing and then cutting. For example, that is a common way to open a sealed cardboard box, or a plastic blister pack. It is harder and more dangerous to do that with a cleaver shaped blade; it takes more force and the blade can slip.

n2s

cheese knife has 2 sharp points
so after i cut the cheese, i can pick it up with the same instrument and put the cheese in my mouth.

also works for apples.

these truly are the two most important reasons to own a knife, cheese and apples

so after i cut the cheese, i can pick it up with the same instrument and put the cheese in my mouth.

also works for apples.

these truly are the two most important reasons to own a knife, cheese and apples
What of sausages, speck, bacon, ribs, chops !!!

I find them useful for making very small, precise cuts and for piercing media to begin a cut. That said, I've used knives pretty extensively throughout my life and I rarely have much of a need to do either. I still prefer to have the point, as you never know when needs will change, but I don't think lack of a point makes knives less useful in any significant way.

so after i cut the cheese, i can pick it up with the same instrument and put the cheese in my mouth

also works for apples.

Actually apples are the best reason to take good care of your teeth so you never need dentures.

My dad always ate his apples meticulously with his pocket knife. Out of the corner of my eye I’d watch and marvel at his skill at cutting tge smallest pieces to eat.

One day I bit a healthy big bite out of an apple and the crunch was loud and forceful. He looked at me and said. “I wish I could eat an apple like that, I have to slice mine up because of my dentures”.

Back