What's the point of a sharp pointed knife ?

There are many places a clip or pointed blade can be very useful. I use mine for slipping in beside a tight nylon webbing strap or a small radius tie strap to cut. For fine detail cutting a gasket, puncturing a plastic container, as an awl making a hole in a leather belt, small or deep spaces where I need to cut something, there’s probably many more ways a pointy blade can be used.

About thirty years ago this German Soldier in the US for training showed me his issued pocket knife without a point on the blade . I asked about it and he told me having a pointed blade is considered dangerous. o_O

Agree 100%--any idiot that can't understand why a knife should have a point - isn't adult enough to have an opinion on it.

As far as knife quotes go - The original bladeforums moderator, James Mattis had one I always enjoyed. It went something like, "The winner of a knife fight bleeds out in the hospital the next day".

James had a true knack for stating things. I miss the guy a lot - even after 2 some years.

Re. splinter removal, and fingernail cleaning, this is another area where SAKs shine. Get one with the Plus scales and you'll have a pin and tweezers; much more useful than a knife point.

In the 58 mm SAKs, they usually have a nail file with a screwdriver tip that is perfect for cleaning under nails. The larger ones, the bottle opener is curved just right for cleaning under nails. Then, they have awls for when puncturing is needed, and there's really no need to abuse the knife blades any more... The spear point blades are sharp enough to start a cut in a bag of fertilizer, for example.

In the case of my Larry Harley Battle Bowie, it is specifically designed to cull wild boar with a stab to the heart.
Can't do that with a cleaver.

Back