What's the scoop?

My search only came up with one hit so I'm asking here.
What's up with the spydiebenza's?
Are they frowned upon for not being a true CRK once the mod has been done or just not a thing?
There website says they wont break if used correctly but it certainly looks thin along the top spine.
Just curious what others think.
Thanks

I'm more interested in whether they actually licensed the trademarked round hole from Spyderco and @Sal Glesser , since there's no mention of it like most licensed users prominently display.

I'm more interested in whether they actually licensed the trademarked round hole from Spyderco and @Sal Glesser , since there's no mention of it like most licensed users prominently display.

No one licensed it because it's an aftermarket modification. CRK heavily discourages this since the blade wasn't designed to have a 12mm hole in it.

No one licensed it because it's an aftermarket modification. CRK heavily discourages this since the blade wasn't designed to have a 12mm hole in it.
Does that make a difference regarding a trademark, especially when called a "Spydiebenza"? Actual question, it certainly seems shady to me. In a similar vein, Emerson had no problem telling Charlie Mike to stop waving folders and that was an aftermarket modification.

Does that make a difference regarding a trademark, especially when called a "Spydiebenza"? Actual question, it certainly seems shady to me...

Shady on who's part? I thought you were asking “whether [CRK] actually licensed the trademarked round hole.” Which they didn't. Because they don't make knives like this.

What people do to their knives separately is beyond the scope of this subforum. Maybe ask in General. But the only real answers to be found here are:
  1. CRK doesn't do this.
  2. Yes it voids your warranty.

Shady on who's part? I thought you were asking “whether [CRK] actually licensed the trademarked round hole.” Which they didn't. Because they don't make knives like this.

What people do to their knives separately is beyond the scope of this subforum. Maybe ask in General. But the only real answers to be found here are:
  1. CRK doesn't do this.
  2. Yes it voids your warranty.
I am well aware that CRK did not make these, and if they did they'd do right by Sal I'm sure.

Maybe you're unaware, ManGearUSA is currently marketing and selling premodified "Spydiebenzas" on their website without mentioning licensing or credit to Spyderco for the trademarked round hole opener...that's what seems shady.

I am well aware that CRK did not make these, and if they did they'd do right by Sal I'm sure.

Maybe you're unaware, ManGearUSA is currently marketing and selling premodified "Spydiebenzas" on their website without mentioning licensing or credit to Spyderco for the trademarked round hole opener...that's what seems shady.

I’m unaware of them specifically. I know there are a handful of people unconnected to CRK doing modifications like this. Perhaps you should email Spyderco?

When you modify something for personal use there isn't a problem, but when you modify it for sale there may be. I think CRK and Spyderco both may be upset with these and they may be short lived.
CRK because people will send them in for warranty work and the use of their product to make something they may feel is inferior
Spyderco over the trademark -or what ever that hole is protected under
but I am not a lawyer

Apart from the warranty issue (voided) and that it does not appear to be licensed - let's take those as a given - what are folk's thoughts on the mod.

For example, I'm a fan of not having a thumb stud for some sharpening angles, and other times the hole is a problem for keeping things sanitary.

Specific to the Sebenza, is this just frowned upon because it is not original CRK authorship? Going back to the OP question, what's the general read on this mod?

Spyderholes are for Spydercos and thumb studs are for CRKs. Period. Putting a thumb stud on a Spyderco is like pissing straight into a strong wind and drilling a Spyderhole into a CRK blade is like chemically removing the paint from the canvas of the Mona Lisa and painting a portrait of somebody's fat mother-in-law with finger paints on that old canvas. If that hideous Spydiebenza thing isn’t pre-approved and licensed by both CRK and Spyderco, I hope somebody sues the ManGear turkeys out of existence.

Specific to the Sebenza, is this just frowned upon because it is not original CRK authorship? Going back to the OP question, what's the general read on this mod?

IF CRK were make a blade with a round hole opener; (1) they'd talk to Spyderco and (2) do it way better than crap out there today.

As a “mod” it would sharply decrease any value in my mind. Maybe 50% of MSRP or lower. Added value? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'll say this, it looks very similarly proportioned to my (beloved) Spydie Southard:

20191013_075120~01.jpg

With a hollow ground blade shape between a drop point and an insingo, I love this blade. I love that they kept the blade height fairly modest, versus some Spydies that get really tall due to the hole.

If this thing rode on a pivot bushing and washers, man, what a knife!

So, I can sure see the appeal of a sebenza with a hole.

Going back to the OP question, what's the general read on this mod?

Presuming that this is done & thought out well and there is no effect on the HT or strength, I still look at it as more of a novelty and prefer my Sebenza as designed. I have never had one in hand and if so may find some benefit, at this point no.
Loosing the CRK warranty would decrease the value to me. There is no warranty that I value more than my CRK
It was a cute mod for some one to do, but I see no need a production model-but these are just my opinions and I may not even accept the 31 change(but that is best left for a different thread) :).

Last edited:
Speaking for myself <of course>:rolleyes:...

I like the mod and I wish Sal & CRK would collaborate on the trademarked details and do it OFFICIALLY. I think it'd be a smash hit-- but that's just me.

IIRC, didn't Sal & CRK officially collab. on the Sage 2?

And Sal has used, and correctly referred to Titanium frame locks, as RIL <Reeve Integral Locks> for years-- since their first appearance on Spydercos. So there seems to be a precedent, or at least, a spirit of collab between the two companies. Maybe it's nothing OFFICIAL and just mutual respect for one another. :)

With what we know anecdotally about Sal Glesser and Chris Reeve, I'm not entirely sure there would've ever been any OFFICIAL document sealing the collab between the two men. I could see it as just a handshake or verbal agreement between the two. So, apart from either or both, of those men speaking for themselves, I'm uncertain how far we could research this on our own. I see Chip already tagged Sal, so maybe he'll chime in with the true dope...that would be amazing!:thumbsup:

Also, I'm 100% in the camp of making a knife your own and modding it to your heart's desire-- as long as you do it FOR YOURSELF, NOT FOR RESALE.

Having made that point, I'll add that I'm 110% on the side of the company voiding their warranty for aftermarket mods. Also, if your self-modded knife fails on you, and injures you financially and/or physically, then it's totally on you, as the modder.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to see if CRK asks these modders to stop doing the mods. I know they have done this in the past with Tom Mayo and the guy his coverted the Sebenzas to Autos. Can't remember his name off the top of my head.

And for what it's worth, just say no to the SpydieBenza. It's just not right. :thumbsdown:

I'd be curious to see if CRK asks these modders to stop doing the mods. I know they have done this in the past with Tom Mayo and the guy his coverted the Sebenzas to Autos. Can't remember his name off the top of my head.

And for what it's worth, just say no to the SpydieBenza. It's just not right. :thumbsdown:

Butch Vallotton

Back