What's the story with Böker?

Smaug

Gold Member
When I was growing up, they were considered to be pretty high-end.

Now, I see disparaging comments about them.

Do they have some cutoff line between good and bad ones, a certain price point? Or by manufacturing location? (For example, are there "cheap Chinese" ones and "good German" ones?

... Or have they just slipped and it's just the older ones that are good?

I just watched a BladeHQ video in which Zac visited them, and they seemed quite proud of their heritage and seemed to have people who love what they do.

Looking at their catalog they have quite the selection, from traditionals to mall ninja stuff :eek:

I've handled a few of their knives a kwaiken and kalashnikov and both seemed to be good quality, not sure what that means overall but I would buy their knives in light of my previous experiences

I've had and still have a few of the boker plus line and fit and finish is perfect! They always have a few models that pique my interest when the catalog comes!! This bull pup is phenomenal!!
Thanx Bevan for passing it along, at a excellent price too!!!!
IMG_20200808_053139.jpg

This is a good question, and something of a puzzler for me personally as I can't exactly articulate what it is I don't like about Bokers. I just know that I've never seen one I liked, or at least, not enough to have me reaching for my wallet. I do know one issue I have is that it's difficult to differentiate their Chinese and European made lines without doing some research. If it's not immediately apparent what's made where, I tend to do the safe thing and just wash my hands of the brand altogether.

Do they have some cutoff line between good and bad ones, a certain price point? Or by manufacturing location? (For example, are there "cheap Chinese" ones and "good German" ones?

The Böker knives made entirely in Germany will be marked "Solingen." Their knives marked "Germany" have some relationship to Germany, perhaps they flew over the country on the way from the far east. Böker Plus knives are made in China, Taiwan, Italy, USA and probably some other places. Böker Arbolito is made in Argentina. I can only speak of my one Böker from Solingen and the quality is as good as any production folder.
i2xYVqD.jpg

I have a Boker King Kutter stockman I whittled with for years until the blades were worn down by sharpening. Still have it, and it's as tight as the day I bought it. Excellent steel, quite high RHC judging by how it holds its edge; German silver bolsters and liners. I see similar models on display in a couple of Calgary knife shops and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I have the Boker Plus Urban Trapper and it's a sweet knife! Super lightweight and minimalistic.

I bought one of their German-made lockbacks a while back and it was a joke. Anymore, they can’t do anything that requires hand fitting.

Collected Boker in the 90s but don’t give them a second look these days.

This is a good question, and something of a puzzler for me personally as I can't exactly articulate what it is I don't like about Bokers. I just know that I've never seen one I liked, or at least, not enough to have me reaching for my wallet. I do know one issue I have is that it's difficult to differentiate their Chinese and European made lines without doing some research. If it's not immediately apparent what's made where, I tend to do the safe thing and just wash my hands of the brand altogether.
The Böker knives made entirely in Germany will be marked "Solingen." Their knives marked "Germany" have some relationship to Germany, perhaps they flew over the country on the way from the far east. Böker Plus knives are made in China, Taiwan, Italy, USA and probably some other places. Böker Arbolito is made in Argentina.
I'm mainly familiar with their traditional style knives, so I can't say much about their modern and "tactical" offerings.

The knives made in Solingen are good quality, in my opinion.
The "Germany" made and Boker Plus stuff is hit and miss.
Of course, the vintage stuff is always great.
mzBuJ97.jpg

DCVuUSc.jpg

I think that Boker Knives suffers the same malady as took Buick down.

To new folks they feel too much like a knife your dad would have owned. Too older users they feel too corporate and just ooze committee designed lack of soul.

They haven't got a charismatic spokesperson or people to present their side of the story in North America.

I think I only have a couple of Bokers. I'm particularly fond of this little lockback. My only issues with Boker are what Quiet mentioned above and I don't like that they glue the shields on.
Boker Boy Scout.jpg

Once Boker started their plus line made in China, their german stuff got less and less as did the german quality. Id say pre 1990 Boker, like Puma, is the way to go....

but YOU responded to ME
I responded to a comment made on an open forum by one member, with a response.

The irony here is that you joined this forum in order to attack me in another thread, and here you are complaining that your false assertion was challenged. Odd, that.

Anyway, please stick to the topic at hand.

I responded to a comment made on an open forum by one member, with a response.

The irony here is that you joined this forum in order to attack me in another thread, and here you are complaining that your false assertion was challenged. Odd, that.
attack you!?!? what do you think I am?? Terrorist? BooHoo QUIET,

Back