What's the worst thing your knife has been used for?

I was assembling ikea furniture and I used the frn of the delica 4 as a hammer for screws. Guys It Is far harder than you would expect.

When I was in holidays in Spain,I used a carbon 10 opinellt kill some insects, using obviously the wood part. Not a smart person.

When I was 10 I was sitting by the campfire playing with my CRKT m-14 and decided to see how many paper towels it would push through so I stacked a large amount and (stupidly) held it in my hand as I pushed through from the bottom and it went right into my thumb.

My friends and I break folding knives for fun, but I'm not going to use those as examples because that's legitimate abuse rather than rough use.

Today my EX-01 cut two heavy duty suspension airbags in half. That's the worst non-abusive task I've done in a while.

When I got my first spyderco, about 20 years ago, I was stoked I had a 200 knife at just 18, it was a great feeling, dont know how I came up with the idea that it was an invincible knife, a screw came loose, dont remember from and I got my Spyderco Police ats 55 and started screwing hen the tip just broke off, I couldnt believe my eyes. The next day I took it to my armorer and he grinded a new tip, up to this day I still have it, couple of mm shorter but it taught me a lesson

I’ve got plenty of abuse stories and doing things with knives that resulted in stitches, but this is about worst things your knife has cut stories.

One time I was hanging out at my uncle’s house. There was a stray cat he used to feed that had died, so he asked me to get rid of it...

The thing was bloated to the max having baked in the sun. Stuff like this tends to “pop” and surprise you. To avoid that, I gently poked a few vent holes in it and hauled the dripping, stinking thing to the trash.

I came back in and washed my hands in the sink. I looked up and my uncle had just cut AND ATE a piece of a smoked sausage with the knife (I had put it on the counter to wash after my hands).

I yelled in horror that the knife was just “in the dead cat”! I don’t know if he was drunk or what, but he cut another piece off, wiped the knife on his pants, and handed it to me.

Then he said “what about the cat? You got rid of it, right”? I told him what happened and he turned white, then green and disappeared into the bathroom.

many of us should really buy this 7.5" prybar for $10 - as a gift to those who regularly abuse knives
SCHPB1ORn.jpg

I once let a friend borrow my knife while backpacking he apparently he used it to cut a couple of blisters on his foot. The next day we had stopped for lunch on the trail and I go to cutting spam into strips to put on my tortilla. He starts laughing a little. I say what? He says did you clean that knife after I gave it back last night I for got too. Well no I didn't. Yuck! I did finish cutting my spam and yes I ate it. Other than that nothing to strange with a knife.
Stuff like this is hugely funny to me and at the same time really irritating that someone would not tell you or clean the knife themselves. If someone wants to borrow my knife, I ask "what for?".

Generally speaking I don't do anything particularly crazy with a knife. I use it as a knife. On the splinter issue above, I have a tweezers on my SAK that I carry. Between the blade and the tweezers I can usually get a splinter out if there is anything above the skin surface.

I forgot to put in the original post that time a bunch of us were out toilet papering yards in high school and a slightly drunk but good looking girl friend asked to use my knife. So I handed over the well used pre-1970 Case stockman without much thought (see a pattern here?). Later as we were leaving the place we had rolled with T.P. she showed me her hand that was cut almost to the bone. She was trying to cut the tires of a girl's car that was messing with cut girl's boyfriend. Naturally it closed on her and cut her deep. I had put a nice grabby edge on all it's blades with my newly acquired diamond stones. It'd still shave somehow. Maybe she didn't succeed? Poured tequila in the cut and wrapped one of my hunting shirts around it till we could bandage it proper.

Some months later we needed a piece of rubber for something in shop class and I used a Buck 501 to cut a chunk out of an old tire's sidewall. That was almost like work. Definitely dulled it good. Couldn't help but remember Megan using my old Case to try something similar but with bad results.

The worst thing?... Cutting tar heroin. It's a fairly common use for my knives, and makes them feel "icky". (Yes, there is more to the story, but it's more fun just to leave it hanging like that :D).

I cut off the tip of my finger while slicing cheese in the Yellowstone backcountry. The fleshy tip was hanging by a tab, so I got out my first-aid kit and tried to mate the tip to the finger in the hope it they would grow back together. It didn't work, and about a week later I cut the tip entirely off. Interestingly, the tip grew back, like a lizard's tail. I had a noticeable scar for years and the fingertip was oddly shaped, with a distinct flat spot, but today a scar is hard to see and my fingertip looks pretty normal.

Last edited:
REALLY gross story....please skip my post if you get squeamish.

my wife borrowed one of my knives to take to work when she worked border patrol. (she's a county deputy now)

Turns out one of the women they apprehended at the border had shoved several small packages of cocaine up her hoo-ha.
Without going into too graphic of a detail, imagine this: unwashed, infected, and on the time of the month. My wife had to cut the packages open with my knife. I wasn't even there and it still makes me wanna throw up.

I threw my knife away.

I was driving home late one night in the dead of winter and the heater fan quit. Since I was still an hour from home I pulled off the road to replace he fuse that was under the dash in a very difficult place to get at. Since I didn't have the proper tools and I couldn't find a stick I grabbed my Schrade folding hunting knife. Yes, it was way to big for the job and yes I know better, but, it was -18°F, so under the dash I go to pry a fuse out. As I got twisted into position with a small flashlight between my teeth to see I got the point into position with the handle partially folded for lack of room. As I moved the knife and started prying the brass bolster hit the steering column and for a brief moment the sparks did fly, obviously it was the +12 volt side of the burned out fuse. I had a new 20 amp fuse in hand and slipped it in. I few days later I needed the knife again and when I went to opened it up I discovered that the brass bolster had been damaged by the arcing going on under the dash. Once opened 3/16 inch of the point seemed to be missing! Luckily for me a fellow I worked with had a small shop at his home where he did sharpening and he did some creative grinding and reformed the knife point. I didn't do anything to to fill in the cavity on the bolster where the brass was melted ... just left it as a reminder of things you do when you realize it is getting a bit chilly in the car.

REALLY gross story....please skip my post if you get squeamish.

That’s why mine had to get a bleach bath. Pretty much all but the time of the month part. Wasn’t cocaine though, it turned out to be meth after being tested. Same sort of situation. I never knew humans would stoop to such levels to smuggle contraband.

I’m boring. I just cut a lot of cardboard, zip ties, plastic straps, etc.

jlt2iqS.jpg

Haven’t screwed around with abusive stuff since batoning with my ZT 0550 in 2014 or 2015.

Cutting up a dead calf inside a live cow as the calf was to larger to remove through the birth canal and to much infection/bacteria was present to make a cesarean section feasible.

I regularly cut open 2000lb bags of rocks that are hoisted to drop the material. Large plastic straps, occasionally scrapping, cutting metal straps and hinges. Cleaning the gates to some big industrial size gutters too, using the blade and handle to knock out debree.

A quick hose down and sharpening and it's as good as new for the most part, for a work knife that is. Though I did somehow manage to stain a 1.4116 Krupp blade on my Kudu, not sure how I did that.

Ever hand a knife to a co-worker and they grab it with their shirt over their hand as not to leave any fingerprints on it?...Or am I the only one that's worked with some sketchy weirdos?

Back