1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What's the worst thing your knife has been used for?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JC972, May 14, 2019.

1. Bob6794

Bob6794

Apr 21, 2013
    Should've told them in a calm and serious tone it's pointless to wipe their prints off it you already have their prints, blood, and other goodies to plant when the time comes...

But no your not alone, we found out a good chunk of our company served time at the same place, same cell block and time frame without knowing. Small company and I don't remember having a background check when I got hired.

BoulderTroll and cbrstar like this.
  2. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Most of these are things knives are suited for, though yucky. Most abusive for me has been cutting braided wire of various sorts. Wrecks blades of all sorts. And I've done it so many times! :confused:

Zieg

JC972 likes this.
  3. microbe

microbe

Apr 6, 2016
    This tread reminds me of the reddit poop knife story....

sliceofaloha and jux t like this.
  4. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Poop knife? Ok, I’m curious...

A long time ago a guy posted on here that he’d lost his Microtech. I think it was a socom. He had to replace a toilet and it was apparently a PITA job.

He took his frustration out on the offending porcelain throne with a sledgehammer and found his knife inside, covered with :poop:.

JC972 likes this.
  5. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Stabbing and prying open coconuts with my umnumzaan. I chopped down some trees with my Busse knives and have used them to pry things.

JC972 likes this.
  6. Chad-S

Chad-S

May 16, 2019
    cutting 1 1/2" poly pipe.. its rough on them!

JC972 likes this.
  7. JC972

JC972

Mar 17, 2015
    Wow. Mine was surgically clean next to some here. Dead bloated cats and calves, sewer pipes. Good lord.

8. AntDog

Apr 3, 2001
    Trust me, when I saw my uncle eating that sausage with that knife in his hand I just about sh!t.

For any who are curious, the knife was an OG SOG stingray.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    jux t and JC972 like this.
  9. BoulderTroll

BoulderTroll Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2009
    We had a gal at our county who had the nickname, "U-haul", due to her ability to bring so many items into the jail...

PS- I do the same job as your wife. :)

Getting older, Jocephus1 and JC972 like this.
  10. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    Keister bunnies!!!

My older brother, about 1973, broke about 1/4" of the tip off of an original fat-guard SOG bowie my dad brought home from Vietnam. And Dad just threw it away.....

Me? Other than the usual bags of cement( a Buck 110 needs a REALLY good cleaning after that, with LOTS of running water), it was probably when we found out that pack-rats had chewed a hole in the water line to the kitchen sink under the cabinets in our trailer, and the resulting water leak was caught by the plastic sheeting that kept the floor insulation in place. For a couple of weeks apparently. I crawled under, and the saggy plastic sheet needed to be cut away to drain the water, as well as to be able to strip the old wet insulation out. It was not a difficult job, except for being about 90 degrees out, until I got to the very last section, right under the kitchen. Found out the hard way that the whole family of pack-rats had drowned in there, because when I cut the water-filled bag the whole thing split and dumped what was left of them on my arm and chest, along with all that nasty stinking water. If you've ever smelled a dead mouse, multiply it by about 50 times! A dead cow in a pond is a very similar smell. I have a strong stomach, but that almost turned it for me...

11. JC972

JC972

Mar 17, 2015
    Justjed, man that’s awful! The sog knife and the dead rats. I can only imagine the god awful smell of that mess.

12. JC972

JC972

Mar 17, 2015
    Going back to the story about the dead cat, situations like that I put a trash bag over the animal and then work the bag under it so I ain’t touching it and if it pops, it pops in the bag. Gag

13. AntDog

Apr 3, 2001
    I didn’t think that far ahead. My uncle Terry was hell on wheels - hardcore biker and was showing me the ropes. I didn’t want to come across as a puss, so I just got r dun. I’m surprised I even thought to poke it first at the time.

JC972 likes this.
  14. DB_Cruiser

DB_Cruiser

Jul 17, 2018
    I regularly use my Swiss Army Cybertool to cut network cable. It was an employment gift from a previous job from which I parted ways a little less than cordially. I love to abuse that knife, but it just keeps going. I have had with me every day for 12 years and I have cut wire, made holes in drywall to run network cable through and any other manner of hard tasks I won't use my other knives for. I have sharpened it precisely once in all the time I have owned it. It still will cut through shielded Cat6e cable with very little effort, though the blade is rolled a bit near the pivot. Makes me want to get another one, but I don't think I'd treat it the same if I actually paid for it.

15. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    As a rancher, castrating calves is not a "worst" thing for us, its a normal thing. Its not only a normal thing but a great thing. As a cow calf outfit our product are the calves taken to the market. Steer calves bring a lot more money than either bull calves or heifers (.030 to .080 cents a pound as of Monday's sale) so having a lot of bull calves to cut and make into steers is a good thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little disinfectant to make it all better:

[​IMG]

This is a normal thing not just an economic deal. Beef that you eat, for the most part come from steers, (ya can have old bulls and cows in hamburger), any other cuts...steers. Nor is it particularly cruel. I can tell ya the calves object to the restraint more than they do to the castration or even the branding. Anyhoo its a normal deal for us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A worst deal? Doctoring a cow with lump jaw. We have a sticker plant here called foxtail. Its excellent feed at certain times of the year but at other times can be problematic. The sticker this plant produces is a very sharp arrow headed shape. It can get lodged down in a cows throat or in the back of the mouth and can fester. I'm talking a volleyball size lump sometimes. So to fix it ya cut a quarter coin size hole in the abscess and squeeze. If the lump is hard you are too late this can only be done when its soft. The stuff that comes out of here WILL make ya loose your lunch, even having done it many times.

Checking a lump and hoping its hard:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was. Been some years since we've had to do that. This ol Moore Maker trapper has been sharpened to toothpick over the years. Makes it the perfect doctorin' knife for said very yucky situations:

[​IMG]

willard0341, danbot and JC972 like this.
  16. lonestar1979

lonestar1979

Mar 2, 2014
    I use Mora knives regularly in construction and renovation work ,and cut everything ,even hamner on them when cutting some cables,wire,hoses etc,they hold up well,theyre not zero ground but have slight secondary edge that i put on them,excellent performance overall.

JC972 likes this.
  17. JC972

JC972

Mar 17, 2015
    I worked for a cattle operation as a teenager and really enjoyed the work. They banded most bull calves but sometimes we’d have to castrate them. Funny thing, I carried a yellow case trapper and always used it to cut them. I really like the wear on your Moore maker, you can tell it’s honest wear on a working knife. Really enjoyed your post buddy!

18. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Good deal. Thanks. We experimented with banding but went back to cutting. Done well, I think its easier on the calves. I even make a purpose driven "nutter" check this post I did on its development:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/well-its-pointless.1508574/

JC972 likes this.
  19. C-TAC

C-TAC Gold Member Gold Member

May 21, 2013
    Had to pry two 6" pipelines apart to make room for some x-ray film. The pry bar bent, so I got something better; my Buck CSAR-T Pro. I put a ridiculous amount of lateral force on the blade and pivot, but no play developed.

20. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Skin and butcher a deer?