What's up at SDS Knifeworks

SDS

Well I have my own forum, now I need to figure out what to put here. I'll start by listing a few of the upcoming events I'll be at and maybe list a few projects that I'm currently working on.

March 28th and 29th I will be at the Backwoods Bowhunters tradtional archery shoot in El Reno, OK. I have two knives that will be given away as prizes there. This is a great shoot to get the archery season started off right and a great group of archers. If anyone is interested in more details just send me a PM and I'll be glad to get you some more information.

June 27th and 28th I will be at the Sheperd of the Hills in Branson, MO. for a hammer in and knife show. This should be a great show. I have heard of several makers that will be there. Among the names I have heard are Mike Miller, Ray Kirk, Brian Tomberlin, Don Fogg, Fisk, Jerry Fitch.......and several others. This should be a great show at a fun location.

August 29th will be the Oklahoma Knifemakers Group (KGA) show in Tulsa, OK. This is going to be a one day show at the Tulsa convention center. We are expecting a really good turnout and there is a lot of great talent at this show.

I'm currently trying to get caught up on orders so that I can play with some new ideas I have. I have a damascus recurve bowie knife I'm working on. It has a water buffalo short rib bone for the handle with an ebony wood spacer. A mild steel S guard that has been etched was also used. I'm planning on making a rawhide wrapped period style sheath for this one.

I have a few other small knives I'm working on. I'll get some pictures up in the next few days to show what is in the pipeline.

Thank you to everyone for visiting this site and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to pm me or e-mail me at shawn@sdsknifeworks.com.

Stay safe and enjoy the outdoors,
Shawn

Shawn,
Nice to see other makers from OKC. I just might have to check out the show in tulsa. Went a couple years ago when it was here on Meridian. Great show! Congrats on the forum. Now lets see some pics!!!!!

What part of the OKC area are you in? There are a lot of really good makers in this area and I'm always interested in picking other makers' brains for ideas.

The Tulsa show should be a good one. You should try to make it up there. I'll have an extra chair if you want to sit and chat for awhile.

Shawn

Hey let's get some pictures of those knives you are working on. I got mine out at Bill Kennedy's shop tour this weekend. I'm very happy with my buckeye burl one. Mike

Here is a group shot of several that I am working on right now. There are a few more but this was what I could gather up together easily for the family picture. The shop is a mess, but that's pretty much how it usually looks. A couple of the knives in there are headed to live with forum members.

008.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

013.jpg

Shawn

Here is a bowie I'm finishing up for the show in Branson. It has a recurve blade of Alabama damascus, a mild steel guard, ebony wood spacer and water buffalo short rib bone handle. I'm planning to make a period style rawhide wrapped sheath for this one.

015.jpg

018.jpg

020.jpg

Shawn

Barberfobic, the Oklahoma State Knifemakers group is having their annual show in Tulsa this year. Here is a link to information about the show:

http://www.theknifegroup.com/oklahoma_custom_knife.htm

Another link you may want to check out is a raffle knife by Rick Menefee. Ricks folders are outstanding and each one I see is better than the last. The one in this raffle is spectacular. It has an elephant ivory handle with black lip pearl inlaid shield.

http://www.theknifegroup.com/raffle_knife.htm

Shawn

Hey - I think I see my Nessmuk in there! :cool:

Looking forward to it (no rush, though). I think that pattern will suit me well as a general use camping knife, especially working with food.

Last edited:
Shawn - it's great to see you have your on forum!

Great knives you've got coming along there?

Foilist, yours is in there. I have the handle on and now I have to shape it and make your sheath and it will be ready to mail.

Myright, thanks. I saw that you posted up a few pictures too. Glad to see them.

SDS

What's the latest on that project you were working on that you were chopping block with?

That is a project I've been working on for awhile. If it pans out it will be a lot of work. A police tactical unit is wanting a "team knife" for everyone on their teams. I have been told they will want 34-40 knives. I'm not crazy about the prospect of doing that many of the same knife but it will be a cool project. The knife in the pictures is a very rough prototype that I made for the team to test out. They have had it for about two months now and I gave them instructions to beat on it and try to tear it up. So far they have been happy with the knife and I have to meet with them in the next week or two to see if they want to proceed with the project.

Here are a couple of pictures of the knife.

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

SDS

I'd love to get my hands on one of those. I love the design of the knife and it looks like something that would stand up to everything I'd throw at it. Feel free to make one for me so you can get some real world reviews ;)

HEY!!!

You are going to be at the Tulsa Arms Show??

do you know your table number, its been to long since we talked...

later S.....

I wish I could be at the Tulsa Arms Show. Unfortunately I have to work and I have Cub Scout leader training that weekend. Between Friday at 4 pm and Sunday at 5 pm I am going to be working and training for a total of 38 hrs. I'll be ready for a nap by the time it's all over.

I will be in Tulsa in August for the KGA show. This coming weekend I will be in El Reno, OK for the Backwoods Bowhunters traditional archery tournament.

SDS

langston, were you at the last tulsa arms show? i think i recall seeing somone wearing a shirt with your avatar on it, so i was wondering if that might have been you.

Back